Pet Transport

Old Aug 26th 2006, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

eales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet Transport

We are at last, after 3 years, moving to Spain in early October. Miracles do happen. We are bringing out 2 Westies, who are no prob., and 3 cats. They will be travelling most of the time in a caged part of the caravan. Are there an tips anyone can give to make their journey more comfortable?

Many thanks in advanced
Old Aug 26th 2006, 4:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Transport

Originally Posted by eales
We are at last, after 3 years, moving to Spain in early October. Miracles do happen. We are bringing out 2 Westies, who are no prob., and 3 cats. They will be travelling most of the time in a caged part of the caravan. Are there an tips anyone can give to make their journey more comfortable?

Many thanks in advanced

Maybe a visit to the vets before you leave for a mild sedative
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Maybe a visit to the vets before you leave for a mild sedative
We have been told by the vet this is not a good idea
Old Aug 27th 2006, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advanced
Where are you going to? Also are you going by eurostar or ferry. I say that because someone I know went by ferry and her dog was in a dreadful state on the crossing as it was left in the hold in a tiny cage and messed everywhere. she could hear it howling and couldnĀ“t do anything. My friend brought his dog via eurostar and had no trouble at all. I have got a Westie which i got over here and he is a lovely dog.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Many thanks in advanced
Eurostar is defintely the way to go. Plan frequent stops (every 2 hours), harnesses for the cats to walk them. A pheromone spray was also suggested by our vet (for our cat), to make him more comfortable with his cage, although in the end we had to let him out to ease distress.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have been told by the vet this is not a good idea
Thats interesting, did they say why? We were told it would be beneficial
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

For my cat, the risks associated with a sedative were related to his age (18) and possible side-effects. Had he been significantly younger, I believe that the vet would have been comfortable with the idea.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: Pet Transport

Originally Posted by glynis
Where are you going to? Also are you going by eurostar or ferry. I say that because someone I know went by ferry and her dog was in a dreadful state on the crossing as it was left in the hold in a tiny cage and messed everywhere. she could hear it howling and couldnĀ“t do anything. My friend brought his dog via eurostar and had no trouble at all. I have got a Westie which i got over here and he is a lovely dog.
We are coming to Pizarra, nr. Malaga, and using the Euro Tunnel. We also have Westies (2). It should take us about 3 days.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Pet Transport

We wre told it disorientates them and can speed up their heart rate. It's not too bad for short trips but not for long ones.