British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Personal Effects transport Spain to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/personal-effects-transport-spain-uk-942310/)

ValTay0607 Jan 12th 2022 10:25 am

Personal Effects transport Spain to UK

Anyone done this during BREXIT. Protocol/Cost/ Service Providers?/ Recommendations?Appreciate information. TIA

Lospacoshombre Jan 14th 2022 9:34 am

Re: Personal Effects transport Spain to UK

Hi
I have little to tell you at the moment, but as soon as I have a thorough answer I will let know!

i am a uk resident with a holiday home in Spain, I have been renovating my apartamento (started jan 2020, kaiboshed by Covid in March), I was attempting to finish the renovation mid year and then drive my own goods down in my van to furnish it (everything being acquired in the U.K. at the right price) before Brexit. As we all know “all the best plans”

i managed to finish the renovation after after lots of drama (remind me not to do that again!)

Now we reach the crucial point, I have a van load of stuff and the complication of import duties etc.

We intend to drive it down in February or March using the U.K. Santander ferry, as I have been informed it’s better NOT to drive the stuff through other EU countries.

There is a need to pay customs duty or vat on all items going into Spain, you need a comprehensive list with a description, what it’s made of, a custom tariff code (international code) an approximate value( which is open to opinion), a general form of where it’s coming from and to.

Then you need a customs agent who has a Spanish import arm, they process the paperwork, and you pre pay the duty, and you pay the custom agents (both U.K. and EU) fee.

Then seemingly you swan through customs with the correct paperwork!

This is the stage im at, my paperwork is with the agent, and has been for a week now, and is quite frustrating as I want to book the ferry.

Im reluctant to post my contacts as yet as they have not proved their worth as yet, but when they do I will reveal all.

Anecdotally I have heard of people just driving through with no checks but I think that is just lucky, and I don’t want any hiccups so I’m trying to do it correctly!

i will inform you of my progress

regards
Al

ValTay0607 Jan 14th 2022 9:48 am

HI AI,
Thanks for your response to my enquiry and I hope all goes smoothly for you. The BREXIT situation has made things so inconvenient but we still have to plod on with our lives. I am bringing personal effects back from Spain to the UK once the sale of my property is completed. I'm not sure what the costs (customs duties) would be in the UK, if at all, bearing in mind they are used personal belongings. If I'm not able to find a transportation company (and quite a few have stopped operation between EU - UK), then I might have to consider driving to Spain and back via the ferry route as France's Covid policy for road travellers has become pretty ambiguous. Again, I wish you the best of luck and do let me know how you get on. Regards,

Dxf Jan 14th 2022 1:45 pm

Hola,
I will be in the same situation in the summer, that is transporting personal belongings from Spain to the UK. I helped a friend before Christmas; they used a proper furniture removals company and if memory serves, just over £1,000 was paid in duties. However, anecdotally, i have heard that transporting your own belongings in your own car doesn't attract duties but I have no proof of this.

Davexf

Pulaski Jan 14th 2022 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 13088039)
Hola,
I will be in the same situation in the summer, that is transporting personal belongings from Spain to the UK. I helped a friend before Christmas; they used a proper furniture removals company and if memory serves, just over £1,000 was paid in duties. However, anecdotally, i have heard that transporting your own belongings in your own car doesn't attract duties but I have no proof of this.

Davexf

If your friend was charged duty on personal possessions when relocating into the UK then I suspect that the removals company may have loused up his customs paperwork.

Transporting your household chattels/ personal effects into the UK should attract zero duty irrespective of [1] which country you are moving from into the UK, [2] your citizenship or visa status, and [3] the quantity of personal posessions you have. The only exceptions I know of are [1] things you have owned for less than .... a year I think (might be six months :unsure:) ..... and are stupid enough to own up to :sneaky:, and [2] things that are otherwise dutiable, such as your wine cellar or cigar collection.

Bomber Harris Jan 14th 2022 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13088107)
If your friend was charged duty on personal possessions when relocating into the UK then I suspect that the removals company may have loused up his customs paperwork.

Transporting your household chattels/ personal effects into the UK should attract zero duty irrespective of [1] which country you are moving from into the UK, [2] your citizenship or visa status, and [3] the quantity of personal posessions you have. The only exceptions I know of are [1] things you have owned for less than .... a year I think (might be six months :unsure:) ..... and are stupid enough to own up to :sneaky:, and [2] things that are otherwise dutiable, such as your wine cellar or cigar collection.

Terms and conditions apply to claim a zero duty import of personal effects.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer...-great-britain

Pulaski Jan 14th 2022 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris (Post 13088120)
Terms and conditions apply to claim a zero duty import of personal effects.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transfer...-great-britain

Have you actually read that document? That is pretty much the document I summmarized in my post above.

You have to have sum pretty unusual circumstances, or some dutiable goods, or declared recent purchases, to have duty to pay upon relocation into the UK.

Bomber Harris Jan 14th 2022 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13088129)
Have you actually read that document? That is pretty much the document I summmarized in my post above.

You have to have sum pretty unusual circumstances, or some dutiable goods, or declared recent purchases, to have duty to pay upon relocation into the UK.

I have read it, and you summarised it quite well. My reason for posting the link and writing "terms and conditions apply" was for them to read it. Based on their previous posts here, they won't meet the relevant terms and conditions for duty free import (they are UK residents and it's goods from a second/holiday home, not that unusual).

Pulaski Jan 14th 2022 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris (Post 13088144)
.... (they are UK residents and it's goods from a second/holiday home, not that unusual).

Ah, OK, I see, that makes sense. .... That said, if they're retired/ retiring they could go to spend 12 straight months there (residence/ visa requirements permitting, of course) and then would meeting the "12 months out of the UK" and "relocating their usual home" requirements to escape duty on their possessions.

Lospacoshombre Jan 15th 2022 8:58 am

Hi
In the process of my research I have found the same as some of the above posters have, that there is an exemption of duties for people making a permanent move either way. The proof needed from U.K. to Spain is Padron, TIE, rental/escritura etc. I do t know what the U.K. equivalent is

i am led to believe that if you have the above proof you can drive on through or ,your shipper should declare it!

Regards
al

missile Jan 15th 2022 2:04 pm

I would suggest it is not worth the hassle of buying in UK to ship to Spain. You can buy most things for similar prices here.

Loco Jan 16th 2022 1:58 am

Agreed Bomber but the link is for TOR relief and rereading the OP's post I cannot find her stating they are UK residents or the goods are from a second/holiday home. She probably is and the goods come from her second home so she won't met the TOR rules.

Given the wording of her second post she may meet the less strict RGR rules for a lot of her stuff.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pay-less...-the-uk-and-eu

​​​​​​Best Loco

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris (Post 13088144)
I have read it, and you summarised it quite well. My reason for posting the link and writing "terms and conditions apply" was for them to read it. Based on their previous posts here, they won't meet the relevant terms and conditions for duty free import (they are UK residents and it's goods from a second/holiday home, not that unusual).

Lospacoshombre Jan 16th 2022 11:03 am

Originally Posted by missile (Post 13088265)
I would suggest it is not worth the hassle of buying in UK to ship to Spain. You can buy most things for similar prices here.

Hi
Although I understand your point, I disagree in a way. As an eBay lover, over a period of 2/3 years, patience is the key, I have acquired the furniture to furnish my apartment to a top class standard, some is second hand and some are ex display items. The cost of buying these quality items in Spain would be eye watering, so at a cost of around £350 each way on the ferry, 4 tanks of fuel £320, and roughly £200 in duties plus £192 for the agents fees, it is still worth furnishing my place to a very high standard in one hit. Plus I have my vehicle in Spain for a month and our fares are paid.

It is hassle. But it is also fun, firstly the thrill of the bargain, and secondly the drive itself is a very enjoyable experience, particularly with a mini cruise in the middle

Pre brexit I furnished my villa in the same way and I brought all the furniture, except the couch, including a pool table, football table , artwork etc. These items would have cost me thousands in Spain, and I’m sure the standard of the stuff helped sell my villa in 2019 !

So although I broadly agree with you for me it works!

regards
al

missile Jan 16th 2022 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre (Post 13088386)
Hi
Although I understand your point, I disagree in a way. As an eBay lover, over a period of 2/3 years, patience is the key, I have acquired the furniture to furnish my apartment to a top class standard, some is second hand and some are ex display items. The cost of buying these quality items in Spain would be eye watering, so at a cost of around £350 each way on the ferry, 4 tanks of fuel £320, and roughly £200 in duties plus £192 for the agents fees, it is still worth furnishing my place to a very high standard in one hit. Plus I have my vehicle in Spain for a month and our fares are paid.

It is hassle. But it is also fun, firstly the thrill of the bargain, and secondly the drive itself is a very enjoyable experience, particularly with a mini cruise in the middle

Pre brexit I furnished my villa in the same way and I brought all the furniture, except the couch, including a pool table, football table , artwork etc. These items would have cost me thousands in Spain, and I’m sure the standard of the stuff helped sell my villa in 2019 !

So although I broadly agree with you for me it works!

regards
al

Each to their own.

If that is your thing, there are many second hand shops selling every household item you might need. You might find it enjoyable to browse where prices are cheaper than eBay.