British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Personal attacks on this forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/personal-attacks-forum-657446/)

SaritaBarcelona Mar 2nd 2010 2:24 pm

Personal attacks on this forum

Can I just make a quick point? I find that some forum users are rather too quick to make personal attacks and make assumptions about people's lives, experiences, financial situation, etc. For example, in the last couple of days I and other users have been accused of: not reading the newspapers, being ignorant, having no lives other than sitting in front of a screen, not having a job, being racist, never having travelled anywhere, etc etc. Someone was even accused of thinking that people who do not live on the coast live amongst the donkeys or somesuch, when no mention had been made of donkeys!! People come on here to give their opinions, and unless they say something that is blatantly racist, sexist, downright pig-ignorant or whatever, they have a right to say what they think (in my humble opinion). If others can come up with links to prove other people wrong, then great, we can all learn something and I for one am usually happy to admit I am wrong (not something that many people on here are able to do, I suspect). I enjoy this forum and learn a lot from it (thanks to someone who mentioned financial grants for woman in business!) but find it quite disheartening to open up a comment that directly insults me or someone else for no real reason. Try and keep it friendly and lighthearted folks!! OK, I've said my piece so better go get a life now!

Jur Mar 2nd 2010 2:58 pm

Re: Personal attacks on this forum

It can get pretty bad out here, but take a look at the general forums like "The Lounge" or "Take it outside", it´s human behaviour in the worst possible way. Embarrasing really.

I´ve spoken to lots of people who say they read the forum but are too scared of writing anything to avoid being slagged off.

SaritaBarcelona Mar 2nd 2010 3:02 pm

Yep, I can imagine! It's quite unbelievable really.

Mitzyboy Mar 2nd 2010 3:11 pm

We try to police the forum without restricting people to much ... but trying to avoid any personals. We're not always here so sometimes we miss it and by the time we see it, it's embedded in a thread, and sometimes it's borderline

We often do take action by pm which you don't see.

I agree totally with all you say, and encourage people to use the report button if necessary, hence bringing all the super mods attention to it immediately

I'll leave this open for the moment for any comments, but if it gets to discussion of moderation or gets personal in any way then I'll have to close it

SaritaBarcelona Mar 2nd 2010 3:14 pm

The whole point is that we shouldn't get personal so if people get personal on this thread then we're really in trouble!! :D

paintermujer Mar 2nd 2010 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona (Post 8387139)
Can I just make a quick point? I find that some forum users are rather too quick to make personal attacks and make assumptions about people's lives, experiences, financial situation, etc. For example, in the last couple of days I and other users have been accused of: not reading the newspapers, being ignorant, having no lives other than sitting in front of a screen, not having a job, being racist, never having travelled anywhere, etc etc. Someone was even accused of thinking that people who do not live on the coast live amongst the donkeys or somesuch, when no mention had been made of donkeys!! People come on here to give their opinions, and unless they say something that is blatantly racist, sexist, downright pig-ignorant or whatever, they have a right to say what they think (in my humble opinion). If others can come up with links to prove other people wrong, then great, we can all learn something and I for one am usually happy to admit I am wrong (not something that many people on here are able to do, I suspect). I enjoy this forum and learn a lot from it (thanks to someone who mentioned financial grants for woman in business!) but find it quite disheartening to open up a comment that directly insults me or someone else for no real reason. Try and keep it friendly and lighthearted folks!! OK, I've said my piece so better go get a life now!

I agree with you.
Ive been on the recieving end more than once and it can actually be quite upsetting.

SaritaBarcelona Mar 2nd 2010 3:25 pm

Yes, I remember that Paintermujer, you were basically criticised for making your own life decisions and for not doing things the way that others would have liked!

jackytoo Mar 2nd 2010 3:28 pm

It's a forum, FGS lighten up. Everyone has took a bashing at some time or another, even Mitzy. What do you want a mutual admiration society:rofl:

lynnxa Mar 2nd 2010 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona (Post 8387139)

It can get a bit heated - & some people can get pretty nasty.

If you find a post offensive just report it - the mods will deal with it. They can't be everywhere & read every post so the rely upon the rest of us to point things out to them.

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 8387225)
It can get pretty bad out here, but take a look at the general forums like "The Lounge" or "Take it outside", it´s human behaviour in the worst possible way. Embarrasing really.

I´ve spoken to lots of people who say they read the forum but are too scared of writing anything to avoid being slagged off.

Take it Outside is where you're supposed to go for a fracas - like calling someone 'outside' in a bar - for a fight - though there are limits even there

Aussie30 Mar 2nd 2010 3:33 pm

Unfortunate but very true, I was once barrated & attacked for having the nerve to ask where the best place to buy vitamins was!!?? I was accused of all sorts of things!
Sadly some people on this forum act like they own the place and are very territorial in the way they go about dealing with new members.

SaritaBarcelona Mar 2nd 2010 4:07 pm

For heavens sake, Aussie, haven't you ever heard of pharmacies? Get a life! How flamin' igorant you are (sic) ;)

As for lightening up, Jackytoo, mmm, yes, now that is a good idea... I certainly don't expect admiration, just respect perhaps?

Aussie30 Mar 2nd 2010 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona (Post 8387424)
For heavens sake, Aussie, haven't you ever heard of pharmacies? Get a life! How flamin' igorant you are (sic) ;)

As for lightening up, Jackytoo, mmm, yes, now that is a good idea... I certainly don't expect admiration, just respect perhaps?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:Yes I know, I'm so ashamed, hehehehe ;) How dare I presume this forum to be a place to ask a question! :rofl::rofl:

HBG Mar 2nd 2010 4:36 pm

FFS, it’s a rainy afternoon, the dogs are playing up, she’s out, the internet keeps going off, my daughter hasn’t replied to my last email, the pounds going down, and so-and-so has written another daft post.

What does he expect? A row of smilies? I can’t even do that. I’ll show him, it’s all his fault, even the rain – and the pound – I wouldn’t put it past him to be responsible for the internet going off, and not the dodgy telegraph pole outside.

jdr Mar 2nd 2010 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8387492)
FFS, it’s a rainy afternoon, the dogs are playing up, she’s out, the internet keeps going off, my daughter hasn’t replied to my last email, the pounds going down, and so-and-so has written another daft post.

What does he expect? A row of smilies? I can’t even do that. I’ll show him, it’s all his fault, even the rain – and the pound – I wouldn’t put it past him to be responsible for the internet going off, and not the dodgy telegraph pole outside.

Many a true fact is posted in jest. :rofl:

rugbymatt Mar 2nd 2010 4:45 pm

I agree... the amount of times the mindless have attacked me is ridiculous...