Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

People Leaving and handing keys back to the bank

People Leaving and handing keys back to the bank

Old Jan 24th 2009, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People Leaving and handing keys back to the bank

I think what some members are missing perhaps is that the houses being repossessed in the UK do not generally belong to fat cats. Most of them are people just trying to get on the housing ladder. And are now falling off.

I (for my sins) attend the Housing Conference every year, and for the last 5 years or so there has been tremendous pressure from the social sector, particularly local and national government, to find ways of enabling lower income families to buy in any fashion possible. Some of these idiots have even persuaded people to buy as little as 10 per cent on a shared ownership basis.
The Government has a clearly established policy of encouraging home-ownership. Like so many other policies, they never bothered thinking about what would happen if the bubble they were inflating were to burst.
This in no way means any change in my complete contempt for bankers, whose only connection with brains is that both words begin with "B". But it was the combination of a reckless Government and greedy and incompetent bankers that brought this about. Neither could have managed it without the other.
So please don't blame the poor bu**ers who got caught in the middle.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:27 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of us were talking about the housing/mortgage/repossession situation amongst expats in Spain, not the UK.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:46 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l View Post
Simply put, greed. A lot of people have never had to think seriously about recession or tough times. They see house prices rising every year and think "why shouldn't I get a piece of that?". Now, they are told (incessantly) that the value of investments can go down as well as up, but think "yeah yeah" and ignore the advice which has now bitten them in the @ss.

But if they borrow 130% they start off in negative equity straight away!

Say you borrow 130k for a £100k house, then you have to have a 30% rise in house prices before you break even.

Seems like a total no-brainer to me, but then my husband and I bought ONE house in 1976,(on a 70% mortgage) paid for it for 20 years and still have it (in the UK) . We were just glad to get rid of the mortgage debt.

We have never had a mortgage on our Spanish house and with only a small Pension to live on , would never have come here if we'd have had to have one.

Seems some people don't consider the consequences.

I hasten to add, I know that not everybody has been irresponsible, I know you can do plenty of planning and still lose your job or become ill and for those people I have every sympathy and I hope things work out for you.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly View Post
I think most of us were talking about the housing/mortgage/repossession situation amongst expats in Spain, not the UK.
OK, sorry guys
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

pazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nice

Is Dessiree about? Iam interested in asking him about his experiance of dacion en pago (Handing the property keys back).

I am currently writing to my Bank to request this?

I tried to leave a PM him but am not able untill I have three posts.:curse:

Had our property valued in Oct 08 at 179,000.00 Euros and have a Spanish Mortgage or 128,000.00 and see this as our only option other than re-possesion.

Anybody else have any experiances of this?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Pazaz have a look here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587326

- people who've managed to come to an agreement with the bank rather than simply handing over the keys.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Originally Posted by rachelk View Post
Pazaz have a look here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587326

- people who've managed to come to an agreement with the bank rather than simply handing over the keys.
I take slight offence at your post. The experience I went through was by no means simply handing the keys back. Also, once it gets to this stage do you not think that coming to an agreement with the bank has already been tried.

I can assure you that giving our house back to the bank after 4 years of living in it and paying the mortgage and then having nothing to show for it was not easy in the slightest.:curse:
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dessiree View Post
I take slight offence at your post. The experience I went through was by no means simply handing the keys back. Also, once it gets to this stage do you not think that coming to an agreement with the bank has already been tried.

I can assure you that giving our house back to the bank after 4 years of living in it and paying the mortgage and then having nothing to show for it was not easy in the slightest.:curse:
I think you misunderstand the poster, I cant see why you would take offence. She was simply pointing you in the direction of another thread on the subject, which is only being helpful
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

pazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nicepazaz is just really nice

Unfortunatley we are not in a position to re-negotiate Mortgage terms should the Bank be able to assist in this way.

We joint own the property and the other party is emergrating to Austrailia in the near future.

We have tried to sell privately for approx 12mths now which has obviously proved un sucessful.

Our last hope is dacion en pago other than re possession:curse:
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dessiree View Post
I take slight offence at your post.
Sorry, none was meant. Just wanted to point out that there are alternatives.

PS - a case of mistaken identity above, I think. It wasn't pazaz who took slight offence

Last edited by rachelk; Jan 28th 2009 at 6:23 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Not sure whats going on here now!! Why wont I get many responses?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:45 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Mitzy, I think you've got your posters muddled up!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 7:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pazaz View Post
Not sure whats going on here now!! Why wont I get many responses?
OOOpps Sorry Pazaz obvious a confused confuddled moderator senior moment
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
Put the bottle down...
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:44 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
This would never have happened in jdr's day, this place has gone down hill you know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.