Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

People Going Back To UK

People Going Back To UK

Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:17 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: People Going Back To UK

The reasons we are thinking of going back to the uk (Leeds area) is basically the cost of living here is so high now compared with wages. I am in quite a well paid job for Spain, working for a large Spanish company earning 20,000 euros a year. We are not struggling at the moment but if things keep going we will literaly not be able to afford to live here. And with a young child, that frightens me.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

I see the usual bunch of people managed to spoil another thread. Well done!

sonofspain1973 is at least polite in his response. Something more of you should consider. His English also looks like that of a moderate speaker with a dictionary mixed in there. My Spanish landlady speaks a lot like him and if you watch where he puts the "to" and the "not" it does relate to Spanish equivalents. Also with a lot of humour mixed in. Humour is not easy to translate . Indeed, some have trouble translating their humour from English to English

I was sat next to a Canadian guy on my way back from London on Thursday and we struck up a conversation. He was telling me the last time he was here, he was sat next to a guy that was telling him how much of a utopia Canada is. He wouldn't listen to any of the downsides and dismissed them as rubbish. Keep in mind, he was talking to a Canadian here.

People always think that things are so much better somewhere else. People going to Spain are no different. Take a look at the Aussie forum and see how many people return from there . The grass is not always greener
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:31 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

I still really enjoy Spain. I think most spaniards are lovely people. I speak spanish and feel i have integrated well. What i would like to say about brits who do not integrate is - Are they not the very same people who complain about the non brits who move to the uk? The amount of times i hear the words " does nobody around here speak english?" :curse:
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:13 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
I see the usual bunch of people managed to spoil another thread. Well done!
sonofspain1973 is at least polite in his response. Something more of you should consider. His English also looks like that of a moderate speaker with a dictionary mixed in there.
John.....read this and try to understand it! God knows how many times I've had to say this.
SOS73 is not real.....he's a Brit pretending to be Spanish by doing a double Babbelfish translation. Check out his posts from the start....and the way he zeroed in on certain people's threads to stir them up. He knew exactly where to go and what buttons to press.
My suspicion is he's an ex-member playing a game.....and everybody who takes his side (like you) is falling right into it.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:19 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of

The beauty of Brit ex-pats returning from Spain is that it raises the IQ of BOTH countries .
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:23 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
John.....read this and try to understand it! God knows how many times I've had to say this.
SOS73 is not real.....he's a Brit pretending to be Spanish by doing a double Babbelfish translation. Check out his posts from the start....and the way he zeroed in on certain people's threads to stir them up. He knew exactly where to go and what buttons to press.
My suspicion is he's an ex-member playing a game.....and everybody who takes his side (like you) is falling right into it.
Im not taking any sides, but this should not be discussed in open and any further posts must be deleted

SOS has not broken any forum rules afaik and as far as IP's / email / ID is concerned etc etc does not resemble a former member. Lets leave it at that please
Old Dec 24th 2007, 10:41 am
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CBANDY
I still really enjoy Spain. I think most spaniards are lovely people. I speak spanish and feel i have integrated well. What i would like to say about brits who do not integrate is - Are they not the very same people who complain about the non brits who move to the uk? The amount of times i hear the words " does nobody around here speak english?" :curse:

Its a very hard decision to make if your circumstances don`t force the issue first.

I have the option to return to Spain in a few months, back with my wife and daughter, now do i give up the good job in Britain move into the new apartment and become Autonomo or do we all move back to the UK and keep the apart rented etc etc until we retire.

It has so many good and bad points at the moment my head is spining like a rat on speed stood on a hot plate.

There are negatives everywhere, I`m happier in Spain, but pissed they can`t get there act together work wise.The money and security in the UK ,although nothing is in stone, but it is far more secure here than in Spain.

My sensible side though says Spain for a brit is only achievable when retired and living on an income from the UK.

My sense of adventure side tells me, uck it and move back.

My keeping the wife happy side tells me I`m a dead man soon.

But there`s no point being in Spain without the cash to enjoy it.

Oh well its Christmas and now time to get merry, very very very merry in fact.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 10:51 am
Family man

Thanks Lee. As i said we are not struggling at the moment but a bank manager friend of mine has told me that 2008 is going to be a very bleak year for a lot of young families with mortgages. It is a tough one all right. We could end up in the same boat in England. the other option is to do what you do, work in England and leave the family in Spain which i am not so sure i could do. Also you need acommodation in England if you have no-one to stay with. One thing is for sure, we need to make a decision soon as it is driving me round the twist.

Merry Christmas to you all and a PROSPEROUS new year.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 11:04 am
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

the other option is to do what you do, work in England and leave the family in Spain which i am not so sure i could do.
It has it`s benifits, you don`t deal with all the crap and when you back with the family it is very very very nice.

But it can bee tough for the partner left in Spain with the kids to deal with, but as long as you make regular trips and treat your partner well with spa`s and time away from the kids when your there it can be possible.

You won`t know until you try but just be prepared if it is to hard.

Merry Christmas to you all and a PROSPEROUS new year.
Same back and good luck for 2008, just remember as one door closes another one opens.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of

Cbandy--If you are thinking of returning to the UK for financial reasons take care and do your homework very carefully. Yes salaries are higher in UK but you will need every penny of that salary to live a decent life style. Everything is rocketing away pricewise. A decent house under £300,000 is very hard to find and our shopping basket costs more every time we go out. We have lived in Europe and moved back to UK but we are about to return to Europe again. I love my country but my country does not seem to love me enough to allow me to have a decent lifestyle any more. Think hard.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: People Going Back To UK

A decent house under £300,000 is very hard to find Whereabouts in the UK do you live ????
Old Dec 24th 2007, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud ofJorgi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by genegenie
A decent house under £300,000 is very hard to find Whereabouts in the UK do you live ????
West Wales. We have "sold" our property here and set ourselves a budget of £300k to find something else. We have done about 12/15 "drive pasts" but so far have not seen one place sufficiently attractive to make us want to view inside.
We are not overfussy but new builds on postage stamp sized plots are fetching £250k plus. Anything 4 bed on with a decent sized bit of ground around it is valued as if made of solid gold (And by the way £1400 pa rates)
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:22 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jorgi
West Wales. We have "sold" our property here and set ourselves a budget of £300k to find something else. We have done about 12/15 "drive pasts" but so far have not seen one place sufficiently attractive to make us want to view inside.
We are not overfussy but new builds on postage stamp sized plots are fetching £250k plus. Anything 4 bed on with a decent sized bit of ground around it is valued as if made of solid gold (And by the way £1400 pa rates)
I'm SO glad we kept our UK house! (Although I would prefer it to be in West Wales and not a Midlands city!).

We personally would not have come here at all if we could not have kept a base in England.

However, i am well aware that not everyone has that option.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I absolutely agree. Scampicat.

If I had not been able to keep my house in the UK and purchase outright in Spain I would never have even considered the possibility of moving here but it is only in recent years that I have come to fully realise how wise a decision that was.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I absolutely agree. Scampicat.

If I had not been able to keep my house in the UK and purchase outright in Spain I would never have even considered the possibility of moving here but it is only in recent years that I have come to fully realise how wise a decision that was.
We are not going to keep a property in UK but we are most certainly going to leave a good sum in a high interest account "just in case". We are not actually moving to Spain, although we love the country,but back to France simply because we both speak french. I feel a bit of a fraud being here on the Spain forum but the same criteria apply. Property prices and other considerations are driving people out of the UK.
I repeat, do not return purely for financial reasons. If you are FORCED to return-ok. It works for some but not for all.
We are moving back to Europe because it just does not make sense to pay through the nose to live in the UK.
Dont get me wrong,we love where we live now BUT!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.