Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

People Going Back To UK

People Going Back To UK

Old Dec 20th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of
Default Re: People Going Back To UK

I would go back like yesterday to live.

Wendy xx
Old Dec 20th 2007, 5:22 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

My Wife is from Northern Spain and actually prefers the UK to Spain.

She did only want us to stay in Spain because of the family values in Spain seemed to be better than the UK.

Our experiences of teachers and children in Andulucia has since swayed that opinion.

There are hoodies in Spain, there is violence and crime.

I think I fell into the trap that Spain is better because I`d never lived there and my wife had been in the UK for so long she didn`t realise Spain has moved in the same direction the UK has and probably everywhere else has too.

I still like Spain and travelling back most weekends from the UK to Spain has allowed me to see the good and the bad in both places, neither one comes of worse or better for me, they both hold good and bad, but i need to earn money and at the moment I get paid and treated far better in the UK than in Spain.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

If not Spain, what are the other options for a similar weather and lifestyle?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:16 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AdrianTO View Post
If not Spain, what are the other options for a similar weather and lifestyle?
France, Italy, Turkey, Malta, Corsica, Albania.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee8 View Post

In all of which you will most probably find similar challenges and problems to Spain, in fact in many of them more so
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:40 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I would only consider one of those options.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:04 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

Many people come and go - in the 13 yeras I have been here even my 1st husband could take it!!! (or me, not sure which) and anyhow, I actually think its a culture shock for many, they come here thinking it will be easy living in the sun but it isnt. Also many are actually sunnig away form problems, trouble is they follow you from whence you came and so it is compounded

The expats here are constantly moving, but I for one wont be - however hard it gets and boy has it been tough this year!!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Italy and Malta appeal to me..

Can anybody provide a Spain vs Italy or Spain vs Malta insight?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:20 pm
Still young member

Warm versus colder and colder really!

Spain has more infrastructure and easier to get to from uk, but depends what you are looking for and where to live, the adriatic coast or Italy is beautiful but around 15 years behind southern Spain!

Dont know Malta but I have been told it is quaint and lovely and idylic - so again would be behind the times, which is ok if you like that.

Both definately colder and damper in winter if its health reasons!!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:22 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rixxy View Post
Warm versus colder and colder really!

Spain has more infrastructure and easier to get to from uk, but depends what you are looking for and where to live, the adriatic coast or Italy is beautiful but around 15 years behind southern Spain!

Dont know Malta but I have been told it is quaint and lovely and idylic - so again would be behind the times, which is ok if you like that.

Both definately colder and damper in winter if its health reasons!!
Malta is stunning in the winter, very warm, it has an Island climate (obviously) but very warm all the same.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:30 pm
Still young member

Not as warm as here - I have relatives out there who try to get here over the winter time
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

hellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant future

I can completely understand why expats want to move back to the UK - there are lots of good things about England that you only appreciate once you have left. I have only lived in Spain for 6 months and already I am looking forward to moving back to England next September

I am constantly told by people back in England how lucky I am to be "sunbathing all through winter" when they don't realise that it's not all about lounging in the sun all day. And today is actually pretty cold and REALLY windy!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hellokittty View Post
I am constantly told by people back in England how lucky I am to be "sunbathing all through winter" when they don't realise that it's not all about lounging in the sun all day. And today is actually pretty cold and REALLY windy!
its very funny, friends and familes perception of what living in Spain is all about !!!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Not sure if it's just us, but it seems like more and more of our friends are leaving Spain to return to the UK (hopefully it isn't because of us!). Another lovely couple who we know have told us this morning that they won't be coming back after Christmas because work has dried up.

All are going home for different reasons so it isn't just one thing and I think most would stay in Spain if they could so it's not a reflection on the country.

Very sad though because they have all invested so much in terms of energy and money to make it work out here.
same thing going on this way too - in the 5 years we have been here, as I have said before, more or less all the families we have met (that came about the same time as us) have all gone back - on a positive side they have all settled well back in England and are happy with their decisions to go back
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Not sure if it's just us, but it seems like more and more of our friends are leaving Spain to return to the UK (hopefully it isn't because of us!). Another lovely couple who we know have told us this morning that they won't be coming back after Christmas because work has dried up.

All are going home for different reasons so it isn't just one thing and I think most would stay in Spain if they could so it's not a reflection on the country.

Very sad though because they have all invested so much in terms of energy and money to make it work out here.
out of interest Joe how long had all these people been living in Spain ?? - we have found its generally under 4 years that people go back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.