Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pensions & Invalidity

Pensions & Invalidity

Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Albert Vickers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pensions & Invalidity

I have a limited Uk pension so what I get is 10 years short of full basic State pension.
To this I have claimed Spanish pension after paying a Spanish stamp for 2 years. But what I am left with falls short of what a basic State Pension would be in the UK. Now I'm not complaining, just trying to see if I can help myself.
It wasn't to bad but as soon as the crisis hit I lost 125 Euros off of what Spain paid me. (I assume it was the same for everyone as I never got an explaination).
I have a chronic heart diseas and Necrosis in my foot and ankle meaning I cannot walk un aided far at all. I also suffer the effects of a broken back that was not treated properly when I was young and have several vertibrae fused. In short I live on Morphine patches. I am unable to stand for more than one minute without unbearable back pain. Bath time is a nightmare, nerve racking!
My wife is also chronically ill 3 types of cancer and a kidney transplant being only part of her condition.
We both have trouble bathing and cleaning the house. We cannot walk to the supermarkets. I manage 300 meters walk in the morning! I use a static bike for a little exercise. I do lose balance and fall over from time to time in the house and in the street! Our Doctor is nice but not pro active when it comes to advice!
Does anyone know if we would be entitled to any nursing or day help (one hour twice a week would be life changing) Maybe a pension top up? Mobility help. I have a tiny automatic car, but paying for parking drives me nuts! Anything that could make our quality of life better? We have never tried to claim anything I am 70 and my wife 69 years old! Thank you

Last edited by Albert Vickers; Jun 29th 2015 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pensions & Invalidity

A friend of mine aged over 80 had a stroke a couple of years ago and gets three visits a day from carers provided by the Spanish health service.

I think you need to take this up with your doctor. As far as parking is concerned, you should be able to be registered as disabled and get a blue permit.

Sorry that I can't be specific about how you arrange all this, but I am pretty sure it can be arranged, but you will have to ask.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you fred :-)
Old Jul 1st 2015, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance From DWP.
link : Attendance Allowance - rates and how to claim | nidirect

You can download the claimform, save it on your system and fill it in, all on line. You will have to send hospital notes and /or doctors notes but is straight forward. Good luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ex-pat
You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance From DWP.
link : Attendance Allowance - rates and how to claim | nidirect

You can download the claimform, save it on your system and fill it in, all on line. You will have to send hospital notes and /or doctors notes but is straight forward. Good luck.
THank you very much. I didn't think I could claim anything from DWP as a resident of Spain? But will try. Thank you !