Pensions

Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:09 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pensions

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well shes clearly very luck .... prey tell me how normally someone exists on £102 (the increased figure) a week when they have to pay rent etc?
How dare you impugn the generosity of the state?

I know it was ten odd years ago, but all my mother got, apart from her stroke and bowel cancer was something like 53 quid a week, and very little else. We were looking after her 24/7, but had hell's own job getting any carer's allowance. As soon as she went into hospital for any length of time her pension was stopped.

We learnt the hard way that you aren't worth much when you are old.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Well shes clearly very luck .... prey tell me how normally someone exists on £102 (the increased figure) a week when they have to pay rent etc?
The minimum you get is around £130 plus savings on council tax etc.
My mum has her own flat, but friends in rented property also get this paid by the state if their income is below the £130.
The press nearly always took about the basic State Pension without mentioning the add ons.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
The minimum you get is around £130 plus savings on council tax etc.
My mum has her own flat, but friends in rented property also get this paid by the state if their income is below the £130.
The press nearly always took about the basic State Pension without mentioning the add ons.
Yes I understand ... she is very lucky ... but again, please tell me how the average pensioner manages on a basic of £102 a week. I understand the basis behind what you are saying but on just £408 plus the add on a month, taking into consideration monthly rent, discounted rates and all the rest of it, how does that pensioner cope and have a reasonable standard of living.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:36 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I understand ... she is very lucky ... but again, please tell me how the average pensioner manages on a basic of £102 a week. I understand the basis behind what you are saying but on just £408 plus the add on a month, taking into consideration monthly rent, discounted rates and all the rest of it, how does that pensioner cope and have a reasonable standard of living.
Easy. Don't eat and don't heat the house.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Easy. Don't eat and don't heat the house.
Have you had a drink?
Old Dec 12th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I had explained it clearly. The minimum of £102 is topped up to around £130 as Scampicat pointed out in an earlier reply to reach a guaranteed minimum income This equates to around £563 per month. At this level you will also get all of your rent and most of your council tax paid for. Add on the winter fuel allowance and free travel and the pension then doesn't seem too bad.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I thought I had explained it clearly. The minimum of £102 is topped up to around £130 as Scampicat pointed out in an earlier reply to reach a guaranteed minimum income This equates to around per 563 a month. At this level you will also get all of your rent and most of your council tax paid for. Add on the winter fuel allowance and free travel and the pension then doesn't seem too bad.
Anyone writing that living (or is that existing) on £563 a month is a complete idiot.

To get 400 a year winter fuel allowance your mother has to be over 80 and unless the doctors surgery, hospital, shops etc are next door I doubt a travel pass is of much use.

Do you really know the price of food and utilities, clothes and shoes etc in the UK? if you did you would not be writing such drivel.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 6:30 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

But if in your 80's surely the main need are heating. They won't be buying the new seasons fashions every year. A state pension of £130 sounds adequate, if not then they should have paid into a pension pot like most people do.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 6:40 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
But if in your 80's surely the main need are heating. They won't be buying the new seasons fashions every year. A state pension of £130 sounds adequate, if not then they should have paid into a pension pot like most people do.
Yeah, if they haven't had the wit to get a good pension then screw 'em. Let them burn cake say I.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Anyone writing that living (or is that existing) on £563 a month is a complete idiot.

To get 400 a year winter fuel allowance your mother has to be over 80 and unless the doctors surgery, hospital, shops etc are next door I doubt a travel pass is of much use.

Do you really know the price of food and utilities, clothes and shoes etc in the UK? if you did you would not be writing such drivel.

As I live in the UK I know perfectly well how much things cost and also that my Mum copes on her pension.I see her at least once a week and if she didn't I would be subsidising her.
Not everybody over 80 is infirm as you suggest. Mum is 87 and goes out everyday as do her two older sisters. It's not me writing the drivel, I am just stating what I know to be true.
If as you imply older people are not capable of leaving their homes unless it's to go to the doctors there would be not be much for them to spend their money anyway.
Just out of interest how much do you think you need?
Old Dec 12th 2010, 6:41 pm
bil
Banned

Have you had a drink?
Only leetle bit, but I'm working on it.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah, if they haven't had the wit to get a good pension then screw 'em. Let them burn cake say I.
My Mum's not complaining, indeed she thinks pensioners are treated fairly.
And she still doesn't burn the cakes she cooks!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Would love to see you trying to exist on 130 a week.

Wouldnt even cover your booze and fags
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:21 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to pay rent if ALL you have is £102 a week - if this is your sole income you will get Pension Credit to make it up to £130 AND you will get your rent paid.

Unless of course you have 1000s in the bank and are not entitled to the means-tested element. In which case you can afford to pay your rent and Council Tax yourself.

Last edited by scampicat; Dec 12th 2010 at 7:25 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:28 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
You don't have to pay rent if ALL you have is £102 a week - if this is your sole income you will get Pension Credit to make it up to £130 AND you will get your rent paid.

Unless of course you have 1000s in the bank and are not entitled to the means-tested element. In which case you can afford to pay your rent and Council Tax yourself.
This is the reason a lot of people wonder if it's worth saving for old age (apart from the risk of having someone like Maxwell take your pension anyway).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.