Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

PENSION, BENEFIT & HEALTHCARE RIGHTS IN SPAIN

PENSION, BENEFIT & HEALTHCARE RIGHTS IN SPAIN

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:32 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PENSION, BENEFIT & HEALTHCARE RIGHTS IN SPAIN

Originally Posted by JLFS
I have never been to any of the opendays, but I can imagine the frustration if valuable time is taken up talking about "trivialities" like the price of a passport, that as you say is a once every 10 year spend.

There are more important issues to be dealt with during the time allocated, and I presume that the DWP would swiftly move on if faced with a topic.
Precisely. You have ten years to save up for a passport. You may need your Helathcare today!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 8:51 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Precisely. You have ten years to save up for a passport. You may need your Helathcare today!

I know it can be galling about the difference in prices of passports, but if that is the main gripe that people have about living in Spain, than they should count themselves lucky.

If on the other hand it is a not just a moan, but a major hardship, then perhaps a lifestyle rethink is long overdue.

Good idea, putting 4 cents in a jar everyday for the next 10 years, and the passport problem will be solved, 8 cents if you are a couple.
he he
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:58 am
Banned

John and Elaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: PENSION, BENEFIT & HEALTHCARE RIGHTS IN SPAIN

I have never been to any of the opendays, but I can imagine the frustration if valuable time is taken up talking about "trivialities" like the price of a passport, that as you say is a once every 10 year spend.

There are more important issues to be dealt with during the time allocated, and I presume that the DWP would swiftly move on if faced with a topic.
From my experience (I have been to three) they now follow the plan for the presentation and that is that. As I said NO questions at all from the floor. In fact most of you guys here would learn just about nothing.

As I said at the first meeting they did take questions.

One question I remember related to widows pensions.

I discovered that is most circumstances unless a wife is entitlement to pension in her own right, she get no pension just a small one off lump sum.

I also discovered from another Question that the dependent spouse of a retired Brit will only continue to get Spanish (NHS) care for 12 months after their spouse dies and then nothing.

If I had relied on the presentation I would not have even suspected that this might occur. As I said, I believe that questions often result in useful info on subjects which we have not even thought about.

Rather like this forum, useful info often just 'springs out.'
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

There are still some places available for the open event in Alhaurin el Grande this Wednesday 15th June. The event is open to all, not just to those who are resident in Alhaurin el Grande, and is a great opportunity to get up to date information and to speak to a member of staff about consular, property or social security issues. Those who wish to attend should book their place either online at http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk, or by calling 902 109 356.

If you are unable to attend this event, you can stay up to date with the latest information on pension, benefit and healthcare entitlements, as well as the work of the British Consular network in Spain, via our website (see above). On there you'll also find the Partners' Newsletter - the June edition should be out in the next couple of days - and if you have a specific question for any member of the team, you can contact us on 902 109 356
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: PENSION, BENEFIT & HEALTHCARE RIGHTS IN SPAIN

Went straight to the website and looked for the Partners Newsletter no sign just a list of Partners also nowhere to sign up for the newsletter!!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

It is there. On the right hand side it says about pensions, benefits and healthcare, go into that and it is on the right hand side of the next page.

Rosemary
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:09 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I agree totally, a British passport costs more, end of.
having got a new "chipped" passport, I wouldn't mind if when arriving at Stansted at 2359 along with 5 other planeloads, UKBA had the section that reads those chips open to reduce the queues. But no the one person they have there is moved to "other duties assisting with the large queue's".

Another thing about these chipped passports - if you wear glasses you must have your photo taken with them off, when you use the machine it rejects you because you are wearing glasses. No signs telling you to remove glasses.

Never mind, as they tell me every time - "we are here to protect the country's borders"
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:28 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You have the wrong dept. this is the DWP not homeland security.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You have the wrong dept. this is the DWP not homeland security.

surely we use United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA) - rolls of the tongue much much better than "homeland security" - an Americanism
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:58 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Each to their own. If UKBA is said aloud it sounds like what a suicide bomber says when they blow themselves up
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Each to their own. If UKBA is said aloud it sounds like what a suicide bomber says when they blow themselves up
wouldn't you want to shout something memorable to warn all those virgins you were coming ?

Back to thread, if FCO in Spain are putting on these information tours then its a good thing because it does stir things up a little. As seen by postings on here, people are coming out here on holiday, decide after a week this is the life for them and then buy a failing coffee bar.
I know things can work out but to make a lifestyle move means planning, when the plan runs off the rails there has to be a Plan B to get back on course. It is your life and you make the best of it - with a little bit of help from friends and the FCO.

I have fond memories about Singapore - but retiring there? No Way Jose.!