British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   PAYMENT OF IBI AND WASTE FOR FLAT IN CALPE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/payment-ibi-waste-flat-calpe-933974/)

DOWNANDOUT Jul 26th 2020 3:06 am

PAYMENT OF IBI AND WASTE FOR FLAT IN CALPE

Dear Forum members

Does anyone know how one gets informed about the yearly IBI that needs to be paid and also waste charges (Recogida Residuous Solidos) ?

I know we can pay it online to the SUMA Alicante office but how are we normally informed that it is due for payment?

We are in the UK and do not have access to our Spanish flat while we are evicting a tenant (for the last few years) so we don't see any demand letters , etc.

Just worried that we might get penalised heavily for late payment (we paid any overdue charges via our solicitor but wondering why we are not being informed direct).

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

missile Jul 26th 2020 6:00 am

Re: PAYMENT OF IBI AND WASTE FOR FLAT IN CALPE

Why not ask your solicitor?

DOWNANDOUT Jul 26th 2020 10:24 am

I have sent him an email - thanks

Also just interested in how other Spanish residents get informed of IBI and waste charges ? I've heard that they don't get reminders and if one is late with payment there are some high penalty fines.

snikpoh Jul 26th 2020 11:06 am

Originally Posted by DOWNANDOUT (Post 12887525)
I have sent him an email - thanks

Also just interested in how other Spanish residents get informed of IBI and waste charges ? I've heard that they don't get reminders and if one is late with payment there are some high penalty fines.

I suspect most of us pay by direct debit and then there's no problem with late or missed payments.

missile Jul 26th 2020 11:19 am

I set up direct debits for all my taxes and utility payments. You should be able to check previous payments and the due dates for recurring payments on your previous bills.

VEDShappy Jul 26th 2020 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by DOWNANDOUT (Post 12887394)
Dear Forum members

Does anyone know how one gets informed about the yearly IBI that needs to be paid and also waste charges (Recogida Residuous Solidos) ?

I know we can pay it online to the SUMA Alicante office but how are we normally informed that it is due for payment?

We are in the UK and do not have access to our Spanish flat while we are evicting a tenant (for the last few years) so we don't see any demand letters , etc.

Just worried that we might get penalised heavily for late payment (we paid any overdue charges via our solicitor but wondering why we are not being informed direct).

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not far north of Calp. I get a paper bill through the post from Suma.
I can't tell you about reminders as I've always paid as soon as I get it, although a friend was penalised for a late payment (similar circumstances to you).

Barriej Jul 26th 2020 6:54 pm

When we purchased the flat last year I asked the Solicitor what would happen with regard to the IBI etc.

She said they would inform everyone and get the payments made by DDR.

Ive had one bill this year but don't know what it was for as I haven't signed up for the digital access yet (will do once we arrive in the country for good).

bobd22 Jul 26th 2020 7:13 pm

Ibi bills only come out around this time in our area. Plus many bills have been delayed due to covid lockdown. The rubbish water etc bills should come from the local Ayuntamiento ours are quarterly the IBI bill is regional not Ayuntamiento. You should get bills even though paying by direct debit but if direct debit they are marked domicilio .

snikpoh Jul 26th 2020 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12887748)
Ibi bills only come out around this time in our area. Plus many bills have been delayed due to covid lockdown. The rubbish water etc bills should come from the local Ayuntamiento ours are quarterly the IBI bill is regional not Ayuntamiento. You should get bills even though paying by direct debit but if direct debit they are marked domicilio .

We pay all our bills by direct debit - we have been told repeatedly that we do NOT get bills. If we want details, we have to go online and see the details on the bank statement.

Maybe every where is different

bobd22 Jul 26th 2020 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 12887768)
We pay all our bills by direct debit - we have been told repeatedly that we do NOT get bills. If we want details, we have to go online and see the details on the bank statement.

Maybe every where is different

My area is Velez Malaga as you say must be different which isn't unusual for Spain. We have always paid direct debit and always received bills for the past 12 years. If non resident the IBI bill is important as it is from it that you get the catasteral value in order to calculate non resident tax.

VEDShappy Jul 26th 2020 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12887780)
My area is Velez Malaga as you say must be different which isn't unusual for Spain. We have always paid direct debit and always received bills for the past 12 years. If non resident the IBI bill is important as it is from it that you get the catasteral value in order to calculate non resident tax.

The OP mentioned Suma and this is the salient part of the query.
If you don't use Suma it's likely that your experience will be different

Longlegpete Jul 28th 2020 3:18 pm

Contact the Suma office in Alicante if you can't get to the office in Calpe, they will give you the details you need, you will need to provide certain documents via email, or phone them , they have English speaking operators from memory Mon to Wed but it's a few years since I've needed to use them, you can then sign up for the digital service and pay by DD

DOWNANDOUT Aug 7th 2020 1:11 am

Many thanks - there is a link on the Suma site advising when the IBI and Waste bills are due. However, to see them online one has to get some digital certificate via registration with another organisation which involves having a Spanish bank account IBAN . But we don't have a bank account in Spain which means we will have to actually asking the Suma office what invoice amount needs to be paid. Looks like IBI and waste charges are due from mid -August to 6th November (waste charge is billed bi-annually).