Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Paying Tenants Rights Without A Contract?

Wikiposts

Paying Tenants Rights Without A Contract?

Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:44 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying Tenants Rights Without A Contract?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ced-years.html
Britons facing £15,000 fines in Canaries for letting homes and breaking a law that's not been enforc

The regional government is sending out teams of inspectors to check if foreign nationals have written
Give this to your landlady to look in too..

Last edited by tommy.irene; Aug 17th 2012 at 7:57 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

hayley1109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for looking into that - I will have a read of it. Im sure it will be an interesting read to her!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:54 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayley1109
Thanks for that, how long would it take to go to court any idea? I know what your saying about finding somewhere but its not easy here as my 4 year old is in the local school here and we need to be close buy unfortunatly rentals dont come up that easy here, the worse thing is it started over 5 euros, I just got a mail of her saying she is bringing new prospective tennents around next week and we are to let them in !!
As the friendship is well and truly over, I would treat the whole situation as a purely bussiness arrangement.

They can get you out of the house if they can prove they need it for themselves, or immidiate family.

This is not the case, as they are looking for tenant...........

You are within your rights to stay put, you have them by the short and curlies, you dont have to take any other action, only stay where you are.

Let the owner tie themselves in knots and spend their money on legal advice, they will come up against a brick wall.

When the prespective tenants arrive, tell them that the house is not for rent for the forseeable future and send them packing.

You have all the trump cards, if you are happy staying and paying your rent as you have done, it is only sheer bloody mindedness on the owners part to want you out.

If you are no longer friends, they should treat it a business, but they are just being nasty, dont fall for it. Your rent money was good enough before.

Good luck
Old Aug 17th 2012, 8:01 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for looking into that - I will have a read of it. Im sure it will be an interesting read to her!
It will be ..if you tell her your going to the Taxman..Goodluck.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 8:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Domino, sometimes I wish I was a bit harder and said " well up yours Im not paying any more rent or bills and Im going to save myself a couple of grand" but thats not us ! we have never rented before always owned and we only renting this as we are stuck here before we move back to Mallorca in January what a bloody nightmare, Oh well you learn.....
well if you're leaving in January anyway I'd probably stick it out - you are on solid legal ground
Old Aug 17th 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

caroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant future

Keep to your original agreement, keep paying the rent. If she doesn´t like it tell her to take you to court as there is no way she will do this as she is breaking the law by not paying her taxes and she knows it
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:16 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

Originally Posted by caroline c
Keep to your original agreement, keep paying the rent. If she doesn´t like it tell her to take you to court as there is no way she will do this as she is breaking the law by not paying her taxes and she knows it
Tell her your Christmas present to her is you leaving in January maybe................... Money is the break up of friendships and familys
Old Aug 19th 2012, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone who sent some advice to us its all very much appreciated and thanks again for taking the time to be so helpfull, I hope we can sort it out but I am going to see a lawyer tomorrow just to be sure x
Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Since when did a text message or an email count as notice to quit anyway ?

Regardless of the contract situation legally she has not served notice so you need do nothing.

I don't know how it would play out without a contract but after one year you may have the right to automatically renew for a 5 year period so if you can tough it out past the 12 month mark..............

Some hard info here:

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/E...ord-and-Tenant

and more here:

http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.co...op-10-mistakes

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Aug 19th 2012 at 7:17 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Since when did a text message or an email count as notice to quit anyway ?

Regardless of the contract situation legally she has not served notice so you need do nothing.

I don't know how it would play out without a contract but after one year you may have the right to automatically renew for a 5 year period so if you can tough it out past the 12 month mark..............

Some hard info here:

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/E...ord-and-Tenant

and more here:

http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.co...op-10-mistakes
she has that right anyway, simply because it's her home - but she's planning to move out of the area in January, so she might just as well stick it out til then
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Hello,
I am currently renting a house on the South Costa Blanca, with my husband and 3 small children. We stupidly agreed to rent the house from a "friend" and no formal contract was drawn up. Only a verbal agreement was made.
I have paid my rent every month, and all my utility bills are currently paid up to date.
My landlady sent me a text message saying that she was giving me 1 months notice to leave, due a disagreement.
Can anyone tell me what my legal rights are please?
We do have documented proof, of bank transfers, to show that the rent and utilities have been paid into her account.
She didnt want us to set up a Direct Debit for the rent each month, as she does not declare that she is renting her property in Spain.

Please help.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Hayley

What was the disagreement about?

How do you know that she doesnt declare this income when you are paying her via a bank especially given that cash up front is the preferred method of tax avoidance in Spain.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

I know she does not declare the money as when we first said about renting and doing a standing direct debit she said no as the tax man may pick up on it !!
Also the dispute was over a company called Iber-Switch who are supposed to find you a cheaper electrical tarife then charge you 4.35 euros a month " management fee " well she wanted me to pay on top of the normall bill I said no as the internet is saying on average this saves you 12-14 euros per year, and 4.35 euros a month to manage !!!! its a no brainer why I said no.