Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Paying for health care in Spain

Paying for health care in Spain

Old Jan 31st 2016, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

ukthesis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying for health care in Spain

Although Spain is in the EU, I am advised that as of 2015, I would have to pay myself for at least part of the health care I would receive living in Spain. I am near to the UK state pension age of 65, so the issue of my health and how to pay for it is important.

I was told that years ago, the cost of my treatment would be more or less paid for by the UK government, but this is not now the case. So what would I, as a UK citizen, be entitled to free of charge in Spain or not?

My wife hopes to get UK citizenship in 5 years. Sheoriginally comes from the Ukraine. When we live together in Spain, would she be able to get any UK government subsidised health care in Spain? Or will she have to pay for all her health care?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:12 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for health care in Spain

I think you've been misinformed - where did this information come from?

Anyway, pensioners is receipt of their state pension get reciprocal health care via the S1 document from the DWP. Anyone below state pension age needs to have private health care for at least 1 year. After a year of being legally resident here (tax returns etc.), most communidads now offer a scheme called 'convenio especial' where by an individual can pay around 60€ per month (depending on age etc.) and get state health care.

If you're working in Spain, then you get health care via your SS payments.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

I got it today from a UK immigration forum. Anyhow, so when I get my UK state pension at 65, do I get similar health care by length and type in Spain as I will presently get in the UK? Or perhaps the treatment in Spain is time limited or does not include some stuff available to us free in the UK on the NHS?

For my wife, assuming she only lives in Spain and does not work there. For this amount you stated, is the health care she would receive living in Spain similar to that available in the UK under the NHS system here?

And does the fact she is married to me (a UK citizen and she hopes to get UK residence in 5 years for herself) make any difference? Or does she receive the same service as any new arrival to Spain who wants to live there, for example coming there from outside the European Community?

Last edited by ukthesis; Jan 31st 2016 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukthesis
I got it today from a UK immigration forum. Anyhow, so when I get my UK state pension at 65, do I get similar health care by length and type in Spain as I will presently get in the UK? Or perhaps the treatment in Spain is time limited or does not include some stuff available to us free in the UK on the NHS? For my wife, assuming she only lives in Spain and does not work there. For this amount you stated, is the health care she would receive living in Spain similar to that available in the UK under the NHS system here? And does the fact she is married to me (a UK citizen and she hopes to get UK residence in 5 years for herself) make any difference? Or does she receive the same service as any new arrival to Spain who wants to live there, for example coming there from outside the European Community?
You would get healthcare provided by the Spanish Health system, which is somewhat different from the healthcare provided by the NHS.
Medical care is reputed to very good in Spain.Nursing care is different in as much as the families of hospital patients are expected to provide a high degree of non-medical nursing care.
Entitlement to healthcare in Spain is based on contribution whereas in UK it is based on residence.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Is there any website, in English, where I can find out more please? Specifically as it applies to myself (UK born and bred and coming up to the UK state pension age) and my wife (Ukrainian, aged 52, never worked outside the Ukraine, dependent on me for money for 5 years in the UK before she gets permanent residence in the UK.) and to the Spanish HC system, if it's based on some sort of time dependent and perhaps means tested contribution based system.

Last edited by ukthesis; Jan 31st 2016 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 2:53 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I got it today from a UK immigration forum. Anyhow, so when I get my UK state pension at 65, do I get similar health care by length and type in Spain as I will presently get in the UK? Or perhaps the treatment in Spain is time limited or does not include some stuff available to us free in the UK on the NHS?

For my wife, assuming she only lives in Spain and does not work there. For this amount you stated, is the health care she would receive living in Spain similar to that available in the UK under the NHS system here?

And does the fact she is married to me (a UK citizen and she hopes to get UK residence in 5 years for herself) make any difference? Or does she receive the same service as any new arrival to Spain who wants to live there, for example coming there from outside the European Community?

Once you are in receipt of a UK state pension, it covers both you and your spouse.

Spanish health care is virtually identical to the UK with the exception of in-patient care. As explained above, if you have relatives then they are expected to assist you. If you don't, then they provide assistance.

Take a look at the UK Government website, it's all explained there. Start here; https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain

Last edited by snikpoh; Jan 31st 2016 at 2:55 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 2:57 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any website, in English, where I can find out more please? Specifically as it applies to myself (UK born and bred and coming up to the UK state pension age) and my wife (Ukrainian, aged 52, never worked outside the Ukraine, dependent on me for money for 5 years in the UK before she gets permanent residence in the UK.) and to the Spanish HC system, if it's based on some sort of time dependent and perhaps means tested contribution based system.
In Spain you will still have to pay part of any prescription casts as well. this is only a small percentage and may be capped, but some of the experts on here shouls have that information as it has changed since I lived in Spain.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The treatment will not be what you get on the NHS. You will get what a Spanish citizen and resident gets. Do not listen to gossip and duff info down the pub. use the Internet to check things out. Note that retirement age is being adjusted upwards.
https://www.gov.uk/retirement-age
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain

Last edited by scot47; Jan 31st 2016 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 3:37 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Healthcare in Spain | All official information on accessing healthcare in Spain for British nationals visiting and living in Spain.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Paying for health care in Spain

Although Spain is in the EU, I am advised that as of 2015, I would have to pay myself for at least part of the health care I would receive living in Spain. I am near to the UK state pension age of 65, so the issue of my health and how to pay for it is important.

I was told that years ago, the cost of my treatment would be more or less paid for by the UK government, but this is not now the case. So what would I, as a UK citizen, be entitled to free of charge in Spain or not?

My wife hopes to get UK citizenship in 5 years. Sheoriginally comes from the Ukraine. When we live together in Spain, would she be able to get any UK government subsidised health care in Spain? Or will she have to pay for all her health care?
why do you think that the normal UK State Pension age is 65 yrs. for some time it has been progressively increased to at least 68 for men.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
why do you think that the normal UK State Pension age is 65 yrs. for some time it has been progressively increased to at least 68 for men.
That's not quite correct the increase was initially for women to even it up with men and now all have been increased. You would have to be quite some way off drawing your pension to have a pension age of 68, I think for that you would need to have been born in the 80's. Mind there is talk of even further increases.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

jogger is on a distinguished road

Did I read somewhere recently if you move to Valencia you can get free healthcare even as early retirees?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Marksm is an unknown quantity at this point

I am 54, have lived in the Valencian Community for 10 years and have had residency for 8 years. I have private medical cover. Last week I went to my local health centre with my in date EHIC from the UK, current padron and residence certificate. 15 minutes later I had a temporary SIP card, collect the permanent card if I have to see the doctor. If I don't have to see the doctor in the next 6 months I just go back and renew the temporary SIP card.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

jogger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Marksm
I am 54, have lived in the Valencian Community for 10 years and have had residency for 8 years. I have private medical cover. Last week I went to my local health centre with my in date EHIC from the UK, current padron and residence certificate. 15 minutes later I had a temporary SIP card, collect the permanent card if I have to see the doctor. If I don't have to see the doctor in the next 6 months I just go back and renew the temporary SIP card.
I'm not sure what a SIP card is but I'm guessing its like our medical card. I'm also guessing or hoping that we do qualify for free state medical cover except for prescription charges? Is that right?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:19 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Marksm
This is completely wrong - you should NOT have an EHIC from UK as you are not a UK resident. Blatant abuse of the system! Yes, you can get one but that doesn't make it right.

Because you were resident here before April 2012, you qualify for full Spanish health care anyway - you don't need temporary SIP cards (health cards in Valencia) at all. Just go to the INSS with the necessary paperwork and you get a full SIP card which won't need renewing.

Originally Posted by jogger
I'm not sure what a SIP card is but I'm guessing its like our medical card. I'm also guessing or hoping that we do qualify for free state medical cover except for prescription charges? Is that right?
See above re SIP.

Unless you are in receipt of a (UK) State pension or were resident in Spain prior to April 2012 then you will NOT get state health care in Spain. If you do qualify, then you pay a percentage of the prescription charges based on annual income.

Last edited by snikpoh; Feb 1st 2016 at 7:21 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.