PAYG phones

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Lawrence.Brown will become famous soon enough
Default PAYG phones

I read somewhere that the Spanish phone companies were being investigated over the way they treat their pay as you go customers, ie the credit has a expiry date when it is just cancelled and no refund given.
I never heard about what happened, has anything been done?
I ask because it would make sense for me to have a Spanish SIM to use when in Spain to avoid the roaming charges and a UK when I am over here. My phone has two SIM sockets so I could have them both working at the same time.
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which phone company to use?
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PAYG phones

Originally Posted by Lawrence.Brown
I read somewhere that the Spanish phone companies were being investigated over the way they treat their pay as you go customers, ie the credit has a expiry date when it is just cancelled and no refund given.
I never heard about what happened, has anything been done?
I ask because it would make sense for me to have a Spanish SIM to use when in Spain to avoid the roaming charges and a UK when I am over here. My phone has two SIM sockets so I could have them both working at the same time.
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which phone company to use?
Vodafone credit runs out after about six months but is credited back when you top up again.
Trouble is with two sims you will get charged for calls to you whichever country you are in, ie In Spain if you get a UK call you will pay airtime if you answer it.

Last edited by jdr; Sep 3rd 2010 at 5:53 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, I didn't get my credit back last time so that must have changed. I was thinking of the cost of making calls rather than getting them, I wouldn't ask anyone to call a Spanish mobile from the UK!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I didn't get my credit back last time so that must have changed. I was thinking of the cost of making calls rather than getting them, I wouldn't ask anyone to call a Spanish mobile from the UK!
It`s if you have your UK sim activated and they call the number from the UK and you answer while you are in Spain.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

I am sorry I didn't make myself clear.
I am likely to be sharing my time between the UK and Spain. I would like a Spanish SIM to use in Spain for calling and receiving calls from my Spanish contacts. My UK SIM would be for calling in the UK and receiving calls from my UK contacts. I expect to pay for receiving calls in the "wrong" country but want to take advantage of the cheaper domestic rates when I call.
What I dont need is to lose my Spanish credit if I have an extended stay in the UK and then have my number cancelled again, especially if I have business cards printed.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I am likely to be sharing my time between the UK and Spain. I would like a Spanish SIM to use in Spain for calling and receiving calls from my Spanish contacts. My UK SIM would be for calling in the UK and receiving calls from my UK contacts. I expect to pay for receiving calls in the "wrong" country but want to take advantage of the cheaper domestic rates when I call.
What I dont need is to lose my Spanish credit if I have an extended stay in the UK and then have my number cancelled again, especially if I have business cards printed.
Get vodafone then, the credit is replaced when you top up again, although if it was not used for a long time they would resell the number probably.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Use Vodaphone,.... mine once ran out in the days before we moved here but it was reinstated as soon as I topped up again.
In the UK I use Orange, if you have credit on the card provided you use it once every six months you don't loose either the credit or the number.
Unfortunatly this time I've gone over that time so don't know yet if I've lost out.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Lawrence have u got 2 sisters J & B and brother P if so might know u
I have a place in Costa Blanca south

Last edited by DENISE WALTERS; Oct 3rd 2010 at 7:25 pm. Reason: add more info