British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   PAYG mobile phone Sim for internet "tethering" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/payg-mobile-phone-sim-internet-tethering-789880/)

bobd22 Mar 8th 2013 4:24 pm

Re: PAYG mobile phone Sim for internet "tethering"

I would agree if You do a lot but so long as You dont use video I find it ok using masmovil obviously depends on Quality of signal.

petew Mar 10th 2013 10:49 pm

Orange have the "Delfin" payg tariff - they take 4.50 euros off your credit every 7 days. You get 100mb at max (then it drops to 128 kb). Probably not enough for you ? Look on the Orange es website.

londonbee Mar 12th 2013 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 10591762)
We come to Spain for up to a month or so at a time. We have a Spanish Orange PAYG sim for calls and texts on a mobile phone. We are thinking of "tethering" this to a laptop so we can get internet access (low use ie not downloading films etc). Does anyone have a recommendation for staying with Orange and upgrading (buy a month's unlimited internet or just 500mb at a time maybe?) at one of their shops or going somewhere else? Or any other tips?

There is a Spanish guy who will rent you 4GB/week for 35Euros and come to your area. I have used him, the service is very good. If you want details I can post but I wish to observe forum rules about advertising first so will need clearance.

Via Orange shop you'll either pay prepaid for 3Euros/250MB a day or you will need a year contract for 10GB/35Euros/month for 12 months.

evilroyslade Mar 20th 2013 1:53 pm

My friend in Spain has been to the Orange shop for me. They say I can have a sim with unlimited (but admittedly slow) internet for E3.50 per week (taken off the credit balance like an ordinary PAYG sim) and with 50 free texts. It will be a shame if we can't Skype, but will be good for the basics.
Thanks to all who posted

Pocaloca Mar 20th 2013 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 10614579)
My friend in Spain has been to the Orange shop for me. They say I can have a sim with unlimited (but admittedly slow) internet for E3.50 per week (taken off the credit balance like an ordinary PAYG sim) and with 50 free texts. It will be a shame if we can't Skype, but will be good for the basics.
Thanks to all who posted

You could get a Skype to Go number for your mobile, and people will be able to call you from the UK at Skype rates. Unfortunately it doesn't work from Spain to the UK (yet!)

evilroyslade Mar 20th 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks PocaLoca (that was the name my friend gave his Harley some years ago!).
I shall consult a child on the matter of Skype to Go when I return home this evening :D

amideislas Mar 20th 2013 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10614682)
You could get a Skype to Go number for your mobile, and people will be able to call you from the UK at Skype rates. Unfortunately it doesn't work from Spain to the UK (yet!)

You can use skype on a mobile, as long as your provider allows it.

The problem is that the delay is long - with some providers it's almost 1 second, so conversations are pretty awkward and frustrating. I'm not sure if Orange allows Skype, but Vodafone does, although I'd never use it on a mobile network.

Pocaloca Mar 20th 2013 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 10614699)
You can use skype on a mobile, as long as your provider allows it.

The problem is that the delay is long - with some providers it's almost 1 second, so conversations are pretty awkward and frustrating. I'm not sure if Orange allows Skype, but Vodafone does, although I'd never use it on a mobile network.

That's different from Skype to Go though, isn't it? That's where they give you a local number to connect to at Skype rates, which diverts to your mobile.

http://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-to-go-number/

Pocaloca Mar 20th 2013 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 10614692)
Thanks PocaLoca (that was the name my friend gave his Harley some years ago!).
I shall consult a child on the matter of Skype to Go when I return home this evening :D

I am honoured to share my name with a Harley! :thumbsup:

evilroyslade Mar 20th 2013 2:56 pm

Our dog Bonne shares hers with our Triumph Bonneville :thumbsup: It sounded better than XS1100 haha!

amideislas Mar 20th 2013 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10614708)
That's different from Skype to Go though, isn't it? That's where they give you a local number to connect to at Skype rates, which diverts to your mobile.

http://www.skype.com/en/features/skype-to-go-number/

Ahh, OK, so they actually call your mobile number from somewhere instead of using the internet (3G/mobile internet is where the delay is introduced).

But that must be expensive - Unfortunately, we Europeans are subject to the stupidity of the caller paying for calls to mobiles at rates we cannot know in advance, which is somewhat unique to Europe. Much of the rest of the world doesn't charge any more to call a mobile than calling a landline. Charges for calls to mobiles are normally set by the provider of the mobile number, not by Skype. So, it can't be 3c per minute or whatever Skype normally charges - it has to be much more than that, and you can't really know it until you call it. There is only a maximum limit the mobile operators can charge for incoming calls.

We subscribe to another VoIP system (Sipgate) and we get a free dial-in number (we have Spanish, UK, US, and German numbers), all of which ring simultaneously in the house and on our mobiles - and no per minute charges for incoming calls. Outgoing calls are charged at various rates, but EU/UK landlines and mobiles most anywhere else in the world is 3c or less per minute (usually less than 2c).

But incoming calls answered on our mobiles are transmitted through the internet (like Skype), so if we are not connected to WIFI, answering incoming calls on the mobiles are horribly delayed through the mobile data network.

We can alternatively divert incoming calls to our mobile number(s) (not using the mobile data network) but then there is a large per-minute charge to receive the call on the mobile - charged by the mobile operator (Vodafone in our case).

davidinspain Mar 21st 2013 1:56 pm

Might be work checking signal coverage before you commit, I looked at Orange,they are good on the coast or near major towns but 15k inland in the mountains.......nothing

missile Mar 22nd 2013 10:04 am

Mobile reception is patchy where I live and internet via mobile can be very slow. Before we had broadband, I found it easier to frequent an internet cafe.

missile Mar 22nd 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 10614692)
... that was the name my friend gave his Harley some years ago! ....

It is not the m/c which is a little loco it is the loose nut on the handlebars.:amen:

davidinspain Mar 22nd 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 10618086)
Mobile reception is patchy where I live and internet via mobile can be very slow. Before we had broadband, I found it easier to frequent an internet cafe.

Check out your local library here in Gandia we get 5 hours per day of reasonable speed wifi free