Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pay as you go Internet

Pay as you go Internet

Old May 30th 2018, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

delbut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pay as you go Internet

Apologies if there is a topic already threaded here, but TBH, it could take me all night to find it so if this has been answered before, could someone please direct me toward it?
Anyway, having spent time in various holiday lets, we have now got ourselves a property on the Costa Del Sol. While in one particular holiday let, Internet was provided via a router that was plugged-in to a wall socket and was pay as you go. I.e, you took it ( or I believe more accurately a (sim?) card) to a shop and got it topped up.( I do not need a Spanish mobile per se as I prefer to use a laptop and will be using it for emails and browsing etc at first but then maybe more data usage if I keep in touch with work while abroad).
Anyone heard of one of these plug-in ones? Is it a case of rocking up to a mobile phone shop or do you need to order one via a provider?
I realise there are other options Using a mobile phone & sim card to provide the signal to a laptop or plug a USB stick in the laptop but I would prefer to have it on in the background so I can use the laptop AND my wife can get WhatsApp etc.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Old May 30th 2018, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

murfmeister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pay as you go Internet

Hi, not too sure if this is any help, but how about a mifi from one of the in country service providers(vodafone/tiscali etc(I've seen them on Amazon, unlocked for any network for £30+ depending on how fancy)...) - that would do it, or tether your phone and let your wife have the password too?
Old May 31st 2018, 11:13 am
Just Joined

BigAde is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get a MiFi as suggested, but if your property is large or very thick walls you might struggle to get WiFi range/speed everywhere (though you can move the MiFi device of course!! )
There are 4G routers that are better suited to permanent installations, TP link make some, I have the MR200
Huawei also make some specific 4G routers

Regarding service providers, there is a useful page (in Spanish) that compares operators and regularly updates
Just search google for 4G en casa and go to the xatakamovil page (Can't post URLs yet)
You need to check that you get coverage at your property with whatever network you end up on
With some (like Amena) you can/have to pay for the router.
None are exceptionally cheap by UK standards and without over paying you need to seriously consider how much you will download and none are unlimited.
Lots of 4K/HD streaming/Netflix will soon eat up most of those!

I am about take out a Simyo contract (order online delivered in 3 days), at a lower rate/amount of data than on that page.
They seem to get good reviews online and the whole account can be managed from an app.
They roll over data each month so I feel I can manage the account to pay for only what we need, but lets see....
Prepaid and contract (though not having consecutive months on prepay loses any accumulated data)
Old May 31st 2018, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help, both. Some very useful advice on here.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Just checked the xatakamovil site and all I can find are pay-monthly packages. Dont need that as for now will only be using it for 6 weeks of the year. Maybe I need to look deeper to find the Simyo deal you mentioned.
the MiFi routers look a good option, too.