Pau - Javea

Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pau - Javea

We are still trying to get aboard Brittany ferries either to Bilbao or Santander but the availability of Dog friend cabins are the sticking points.

Our villa rental commences on the 1st of February and being mindful of the conditions in the mountains a friend has suggested Pau and then the tunnel into Spain. Has anyone taken this route please.

Normally and in summer months it is Bayonne Pamplona and then Zaragozza to Valencia.

thanks
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:37 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pau - Javea

Yes have used that route and of course a little twisty in places & slower as a result.
Still nice scenery so why not.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response. Seemingly there is a big tunnel (nearby) and it cuts out some of the hill climbs from Bayonne?

At the same time someone I have just spoken to in Javea thought there was a larger tunnel in the area and perhaps 20km long which also makes the journey more pleasant in that it cuts off some circulous driving? I am of advancing years and just wish to be as prudent as one is able to do whilst driving a car and in February there is like I suppose Snowdon in North Wales snow?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:56 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there could well be snow but its a fairly major crossing point so I would think that its rare for it to be closed.

BTW have you checked out the ferry from Portsmouth to Gijon ?

Last edited by VFR; Nov 21st 2014 at 3:00 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

As far as I am aware the Gijon route was from St Naizare near Nantes in France. It is closed down for the winter. One seriously does not know what weather is going to be like so I suppose check before you go and select the best route weather wise.

Again third hand and a someone I know and has a camper van and goes down for the winter just after Xmas uses Bayonne Irun then Pamplona and down to Zaragoza . So we shall continue to research but I wish I was travelling in the summer not the winter. I would be lying if I said I was not concerned.

best wishes
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

i have never seen so many snow ploughs in my life as when we dropped down through france on the way to spain in november last , amazing how all the roads were clear services stations full with staff,police and road crews ready to clean off the roads of snow, the roads were clean and 20 foot high snow piles on the sides, got back her and couldnt see the road all standstill services stations covered in snow couldnt see anything , every other country copes and we dont idiots enjoy the trip down
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shazzabob
i have never seen so many snow ploughs in my life as when we dropped down through france on the way to spain in november last , amazing how all the roads were clear services stations full with staff,police and road crews ready to clean off the roads of snow, the roads were clean and 20 foot high snow piles on the sides, got back her and couldnt see the road all standstill services stations covered in snow couldnt see anything , every other country copes and we dont idiots enjoy the trip down
Thanks for the reassurances