Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

path to "normality".bank, residency etc. may help someone

path to "normality".bank, residency etc. may help someone

Old Aug 8th 2007, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

lostinspain will become famous soon enoughlostinspain will become famous soon enough
Default path to "normality".bank, residency etc. may help someone

Ok, so I thought I'll write this as my situation is new and it may hep someone in the beginings.

I had to wait for a permanent address, so 1st Aug we finally moved to an apartment first line to the beach, just as I always wanted. Note for those who also dream of it...Constant sea waves require strong shutters to dumpen the noise (luckilly we have) and strong glass as draft is constant.

Anyhow, where I am is a small place and to get residency paper I had to go to a small municipal office (like that comedy Fawlty towers, people here do more than one job and you think you are seing the same people on different places all the time..which you do ) and with my landlady I got it in 15 mns. She had to show her passport (yes, passport although she is local and Spanish), sign some paper, and I had to bring our passports and complete a simple form. This form is valid for one month only but would give me a chance to open a bank account.

So the next day, I went to a next bigger office and just got a small certificate and a stamp that I live here and the address.

Armed with that I went to the closest bank, Bankaja, and asked for the account. This was a bit more complicated as the boy at the counter was new anyway, so had problems with the PC and also nobody in the branch spoke English, and I don't speak Spanish..But expirience goes a long way.

I presented the person with my passport and this residency certificate and of course he had problems keying stuff in as the information is not the same as on his screen, and another person said that I needed NIE, which I said "NO", because a friend of mine called her bank and they told her I don't, so in the end, we were on our way.

But than, they wanted my UK address and my occupation here. I told them I am not working yet...Finally an expirienced girl came and she took over and it was all done. I put 100 eur just so I have something and will transfer money from UK tomorrow. My checks and debit card will be ready in 3 days and that's it.

Now, finally I can get the phone, TV and internet sorted as you need a bank account to get the line in (there is no line in my apartment). Since I don't speak Spanish my landlady is doing this for me.

I asked about NIE our local police and they told me I have to go to the main office in Valencia but they said that unless I want to buy a car or something, I don't have to have it. So I dont know now if he talks rubbish as on this forum everyone stresses the importance of NIE.
So thats it.
I hope it helps someone.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: path to "normality".bank, residency etc. may help someone

Well all I can say that without an NIE I was unable to open a bank account, unable to register a car in my name, and unable to sign on the padron or talk to anyone about my E106 health documents.

So I dunno, but clearly its better to get one that not have one
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Everything in Spain seems to evolve around your NIE number so I would go for it if I were you. Remember to sign on the Padron as it is important for the town hall to gain funds from central government.

Rosemary
Old Aug 8th 2007, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

lostinspain will become famous soon enoughlostinspain will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well all I can say that without an NIE I was unable to open a bank account, unable to register a car in my name, and unable to sign on the padron or talk to anyone about my E106 health documents.

So I dunno, but clearly its better to get one that not have one
I will go for it of course, but at present I don't need to buy a car and my local doctor didn't ask anything at registration. Don't know, maybe this is such small place and they are more lax. But I will apply for one of course, as soon I have some space when my little one starts school in Sept. At the moment it is like 24/7 being together and with 7 yr old it is not easy to finish anything. But we love them don't we?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lostinspain
I will go for it of course, but at present I don't need to buy a car and my local doctor didn't ask anything at registration. Don't know, maybe this is such small place and they are more lax. But I will apply for one of course, as soon I have some space when my little one starts school in Sept. At the moment it is like 24/7 being together and with 7 yr old it is not easy to finish anything. But we love them don't we?
Are you paying National Insurance (Social Security) yet?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Are you paying National Insurance (Social Security) yet?
what do you mean, sorry? I am not working yet and we just settled in. Came to Spain 25th July.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

what do you mean, sorry? I am not working yet and we just settled in. Came to Spain 25th July.
I thought you needed an NIE, which you need to pay social security(national insurance, which you need to register at a doctors.

I guess what is supposed to happen and what does happen are two very different things?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SoJohn
I thought you needed an NIE, which you need to pay social security(national insurance, which you need to register at a doctors.

I guess what is supposed to happen and what does happen are two very different things?
I have no idea. I registered with our local doctor without anything just a registration of residence from our local Municipal office
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea. I registered with our local doctor without anything just a registration of residence from our local Municipal office
Just a padrone ??????

My daughter has a shopping bag of paperwork but still can`t register her 14 month old daughter, everytime she goes with the required paperwork they add something else, she now needs a family book, but as the child was not born in Spain one is not available.
They sent her to the council office to get one, the guy there said what ever is the matter with them, you only get them if the child is born in Spain. He sent her somewhere else and the guy there phone somewhere else and they confirmed they were nutters at the clinic, but advised her to get the birth certificate translated and certified as that would suffice.
When you try to get everything legal and hit all the paperwork you can see why so many dodge doing it.......
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Just a padrone ??????

My daughter has a shopping bag of paperwork but still can`t register her 14 month old daughter, everytime she goes with the required paperwork they add something else, she now needs a family book, but as the child was not born in Spain one is not available.
They sent her to the council office to get one, the guy there said what ever is the matter with them, you only get them if the child is born in Spain. He sent her somewhere else and the guy there phone somewhere else and they confirmed they were nutters at the clinic, but advised her to get the birth certificate translated and certified as that would suffice.
When you try to get everything legal and hit all the paperwork you can see why so many dodge doing it.......
I guess it depends from place to place...Or whichever direction a wind bows...Its Spain I guess
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:13 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I believe from previous posts that lostinspain is in Valencia. As we all know, healthcare in Valencia is free and available to all!
It might help, when talking about healthcare issues in Spain, SIP cards etc for people to clarify if they are Valencia or non-Valencia because it makes a helluva difference! Might as well be 2 different countries!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Might as well be 2 different countries!

And thats not soley confined to healthcare either