Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Passport stamps

Passport stamps

Old Oct 29th 2021, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport stamps

Originally Posted by bobd22
Thanks Lynn but surely that was not the case re my initial reply to Lou71. As they had travelled to Malaga from UK a non EU and non Schengen country. They clearly did go through passport control hence the confusion re passport stamping. I know if purely traveling between Schengen countries no passport checks but that isn't the case if travelling from UK.
I didn't say it was the case if travelling from the UK - in fact I said passports would only be stamped if entering the Schengen zone from a country outside it (eg the UK.

I was just responding to what you said in post #53

"I thought the Schengen rules applied fully to me if I visited another Schengen country other than my host country. From the replies I was clearly wrong re passport stamps to enter other than my host country."
Old Oct 29th 2021, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I didn't say it was the case if travelling from the UK - in fact I said passports would only be stamped if entering the Schengen zone from a country outside it (eg the UK.

I was just responding to what you said in post #53

"I thought the Schengen rules applied fully to me if I visited another Schengen country other than my host country. From the replies I was clearly wrong re passport stamps to enter other than my host country."
Some confusion come in. I was just trying to stick with my reply to Lou71. Some years back well before Brexit , i think when the Iceland volcano erupted my wife ended up flying from UK to Malaga via Amsterdam. She was confused when she came through Malaga without going to passport control and someone said because you've flown from Amsterdam to Malaga both Schengen . Not relevant to discussion but why I understood that side of the rules.

Last edited by bobd22; Oct 29th 2021 at 4:45 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived Santander ferry a few days ago. Myself and PT OH. Handed passports to immigration, while doing so asking not to stamp my passport as I have PT residency. To which he muttered something( in Spanish) and shook his head. (so he understands English). So again I said my passport shouldn't be stamped because I am a resident and handed my CRUE to let him see). Again Spanish muttering to the effect that OH's passport is OK but mine isn't.... grabbed the stamp and duly banged it down on my passport. So one unstamped and one stamped passport. Didn't take it further as there was a queue so just had to accept it. He did not get a thank you.
So what happens when in 6 months or so I leave, am I going to be questioned re overstaying my welcome? Will even our eventual digital card make any difference? Does this happen to any other non EU passport holder or just UK ones? Have the Spanish immigration officers taken a dislike to us !
toots sweet is online now Add to toots sweet's Reputation Report Post
Old Oct 30th 2021, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Arrived Santander ferry a few days ago. Myself and PT OH. Handed passports to immigration, while doing so asking not to stamp my passport as I have PT residency. To which he muttered something( in Spanish) and shook his head. (so he understands English). So again I said my passport shouldn't be stamped because I am a resident and handed my CRUE to let him see). Again Spanish muttering to the effect that OH's passport is OK but mine isn't.... grabbed the stamp and duly banged it down on my passport. So one unstamped and one stamped passport. Didn't take it further as there was a queue so just had to accept it. He did not get a thank you.
So what happens when in 6 months or so I leave, am I going to be questioned re overstaying my welcome? Will even our eventual digital card make any difference? Does this happen to any other non EU passport holder or just UK ones? Have the Spanish immigration officers taken a dislike to us !
toots sweet is online now Add to toots sweet's Reputation Report Post
Forgive my ignorance but what's PT OH and CRUE?
We had no problem handing our UK passports along with our TIE card on entry to Spain. The border officer opened the passport to the photo page and very carefully compared both photos. The passport wasn't stamped and no record taken of the TIE card.

Edit.....Got it! Portugal & Portuguese residency card.
Does the CRUE have a photo. like the TIE? If you are arriving in Spain and are travelling on a non EU passport, without Spanish residency, I would expect that you would get a stamp in your passport

Last edited by bolton wanderer; Oct 30th 2021 at 11:52 am.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 11:53 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

It just happens to UK visitors, other foreigners carry the common Schengen residency card.

Showing the new residency card, when you get it, on the way out will mean that the stamp just becomes a souvenir. Isn't Portugal exchanging certificates yet?

If you've still got a certificate on the way out, I guess you could be fined or banned from the Schengen area but it's pretty obvious what the CRUE is, if you squint it looks the same as Spain's green certificate. I suppose you would get another stamp and nothing else would happen to save face but if they wanted to fine or ban you you'd need to ask to speak to his superior.

Last edited by DLC; Oct 30th 2021 at 12:00 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

This one is from the Mirror, states the woman's passport was stamped coming into Spain in June but not allegedly when she left a week later. The story is somewhat convoluted as one part mentions she visited from Gibraltar to Spain when her passport was stamped but it wasn't stamped when she left Spain since which it would seem she has been in UK. When she tried to visit Spain again she was denied entry as deemed overstaying from initial stamp date. As I say seems convoluted but it does show checks are being done and if deemed to not comply with Schengen rules entry is denied.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...spain-25334665
Old Oct 30th 2021, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Yes sorry PT= Portugal OH =other half.
CRUE Certificado do Registo de Citadao da Uniao Europeia.We don't have our digital cards yet.....just an A4 certificate stamped and signed by our council.
Can't mistake it stating residency. It does state citizen of EU not Spain.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 10:19 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Passport stamps are about to be phased out in Spain.

Check out the article in 'The Local'.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Passport stamps are about to be phased out in Spain.

Check out the article in 'The Local'.
Is this the link?.....

https://www.thelocal.es/20211026/are...pains-borders/

I can't access this as it's behind a pay wall. Could you quote the appropriate section?

Last edited by bolton wanderer; Oct 31st 2021 at 7:59 am.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 8:59 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I saw it once but I appear to have used up my months free access.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
This one is from the Mirror, states the woman's passport was stamped coming into Spain in June but not allegedly when she left a week later. The story is somewhat convoluted as one part mentions she visited from Gibraltar to Spain when her passport was stamped but it wasn't stamped when she left Spain since which it would seem she has been in UK. When she tried to visit Spain again she was denied entry as deemed overstaying from initial stamp date. As I say seems convoluted but it does show checks are being done and if deemed to not comply with Schengen rules entry is denied.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...spain-25334665
So did she overstay them? Because they should have been able to tell by the digital record on the system. I thought stamps were just for the traveller.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
I saw it once but I appear to have used up my months free access.
It appears to be about the introduction of ETIAS in
2022. Which they say will negate the need for stamps on entering Schengen when you have bought one.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stingychips
So did she overstay them? Because they should have been able to tell by the digital record on the system. I thought stamps were just for the traveller.
Stamps are currently the only way they can routinely check on how long you stay.

ETIAS was never designed to calculate entry & exit times but it's possible that this capability may be added in the future. However, ETIAS is not due until the end of 2022.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 9:51 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
Stamps are currently the only way they can routinely check on how long you stay.

ETIAS was never designed to calculate entry & exit times but it's possible that this capability may be added in the future. However, ETIAS is not due until the end of 2022.
The Entry-Exit System will, though.

That's due to be implemented first half of 2022.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red Eric
The Entry-Exit System will, though.

That's due to be implemented first half of 2022.
Sounds like a good upgrade to the existing system and just what is required.

Link for further info' at https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/po...exit-system_en

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.