Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

parking and owning a car in spain

parking and owning a car in spain

Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: parking and owning a car in spain

I notice they have started car auctions in Spain now, some of which are run by British firms, Ive always bought in the UK from Auction.

I am debating selling my UK car when I come to Spain but I also might keep it for a bit while we find something else, I have a Van too which I may also sell but it will be driven back to the UK every 45-60 days but it might be more economical to Hire one day to day.

My question is has anybody here had experience of buying a used car in Germany or Japan and importing it to Spain, if I was to stay in Spain long term which is our aim then Germany or Japan, these would possibly be my first port of call to buy a car.

To buy my car in Spain, the valuation is £22,000 which is double its worth in the UK.

The only things that bother me is its a RHD and finding a reasonably priced garage, We have all the Diagnostic tools so we can be ahead in that respect, but I don't wish to do any work on it myself

I love my car so much though
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

I used a company in UK that sourced our used LHD Land Rover from Germany. We made sure we bought it at least 6 months before our move to Spain so that it would qualify for no registration taxes here when we imported it. It was registered in UK for the time we used it there and easily matriculated onto Spanish plates when we arrived.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
I used a company in UK that sourced our used LHD Land Rover from Germany. We made sure we bought it at least 6 months before our move to Spain so that it would qualify for no registration taxes here when we imported it. It was registered in UK for the time we used it there and easily matriculated onto Spanish plates when we arrived.
So it could be worth doing then, Its also about finding the right spec of car, I understand to some people that cars are just cars and to others they are a part of your life, mine to me is.

Could you share the company name, thanks.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

I'm afraid they went bust a few years ago. I am sure an online search would find others. I did think afterwards I might have been better just searching the German second hand car web sites for what I wanted and collecting it myself. It would have saved money I think. We have German friends and the OH is fluent in German. At least I did get the exact spec. I was looking for, and it was delivered to UK and registered there all in the price.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, and make sure that whatever you buy is *absolutely* standard spec. I had to get my Land Rover boys in UK to whip out a few fancy things the German had installed and replace them with standard equipment. A bit of an expensive mistake on my part although some of the bits were sold at a profit. You will need to get a ficha tecnica in Spanish. They won't accept the original German one. I got Land Rover Spain to issue one. 120€
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok thanks anyway, your insight has been helpful, I will have a look at the car auctions first and then go from there, see what they make first.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think the costs, as far as I remember were as follows:

Ficha tecnica 120€
Gestor 340€ inc set of registration plates
First ITV about 120€
Stupid bit of paper from Brit Consulate Malaga 180€ inc train fare and expenses
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I notice they have started car auctions in Spain now, some of which are run by British firms, Ive always bought in the UK from Auction.

I am debating selling my UK car when I come to Spain but I also might keep it for a bit while we find something else, I have a Van too which I may also sell but it will be driven back to the UK every 45-60 days but it might be more economical to Hire one day to day.

My question is has anybody here had experience of buying a used car in Germany or Japan and importing it to Spain, if I was to stay in Spain long term which is our aim then Germany or Japan, these would possibly be my first port of call to buy a car.

To buy my car in Spain, the valuation is £22,000 which is double its worth in the UK.

The only things that bother me is its a RHD and finding a reasonably priced garage, We have all the Diagnostic tools so we can be ahead in that respect, but I don't wish to do any work on it myself

I love my car so much though
Don't forget that Japan is RHD so if you wanted a LHD Japanese car you'd be better of getting it in Germany (or Belgium)
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ha ha, ok thanks, yes of course, that's why they import them here.

I don't want a Japanese car, I have not thought that option through from the very basics, thanks I do feel a bit of a idiot now