Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Parking in Ayamonte

Parking in Ayamonte

Old Oct 19th 2017, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

jimbo001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parking in Ayamonte

Hi I am planning on visiting a friend in Tavira next month.

I will be travelling down from the costa blanca in a hire car. I know I cant take the hire car into Portugal.

It looks like I could drive to Ayamonte, take the ferry and then train to Tavira.

Question is - how safe would it be to leave the car in Ayamonte for a couple of days?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 19th 2017, 5:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parking in Ayamonte

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community and adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 19th 2017, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

AliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, if you are sure you can't take your car to Portugal, the ferry - train route sounds like a fun adventure. Ayamonte is generally safe with regard to theft and or break in. There is plenty of free parking throughout Ayamonte and around the ferry. Something to be aware of is the possibility of damage by scratching to the bodywork. There are men who hang around asking for money, your decision if you give them anything but if you're leaving the car a couple of days might be worth a euro, if approached. It's no guarantee but neither is parking in any car park or town. If you can avoid the car park, the men only "patrol" the car park. Perhaps try to park along the road, around the ferry, the post office, or the inner road, (ElJamon supermarket, Medical Centre) it might be an option. Don't be put off,,,,others might have different advice or recomendations. If you've not been to Ayamonte before, it is a pretty great little town, and as safe an option as anywhere. ..... Good luck.👍

Originally Posted by jimbo001
Hi I am planning on visiting a friend in Tavira next month.

I will be travelling down from the costa blanca in a hire car. I know I cant take the hire car into Portugal.

It looks like I could drive to Ayamonte, take the ferry and then train to Tavira.

Question is - how safe would it be to leave the car in Ayamonte for a couple of days?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:44 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceB
Hi, if you are sure you can't take your car to Portugal, the ferry - train route sounds like a fun adventure. Ayamonte is generally safe with regard to theft and or break in. There is plenty of free parking throughout Ayamonte and around the ferry. Something to be aware of is the possibility of damage by scratching to the bodywork. There are men who hang around asking for money, your decision if you give them anything but if you're leaving the car a couple of days might be worth a euro, if approached. It's no guarantee but neither is parking in any car park or town. If you can avoid the car park, the men only "patrol" the car park. Perhaps try to park along the road, around the ferry, the post office, or the inner road, (ElJamon supermarket, Medical Centre) it might be an option. Don't be put off,,,,others might have different advice or recomendations. If you've not been to Ayamonte before, it is a pretty great little town, and as safe an option as anywhere. ..... Good luck.👍
Many people who live in the area as a secondary residence fly into Faro, the nearest airport. In fact I never check for prices to Seville anymore as Faro is so convenient. It means that we are crossing the border.

There is no problem with any company we use about having a cross-border card and its just an additional cost.

I recommend that you ask the rentalco about it, explaining that you will stay a couple of days. It will save you some hassle, though the train ride is nice. Also you can explore some really nice places on the way to Tavira (e.g Cacela Velha and Fabrica - which has been named one of the top ten beaches in the world)

If worried about problems on leaving the car, you can always also take out the optional extra insurance they offer - OR if you are often renting - take out an annual policy from eg insurance4carhire. We do this and are 100% covered for anything, yes we have to pay for damage up front, but the company will repay that. Remember to ALWAYS keep your rental contract even after handing in the car.

Good luck
Jon
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

jimbo001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the information kindly provided.

James
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 3:44 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo001
Hi
I know I cant take the hire car into Portugal.

Hola

The simple answer is to find a road where there is parking for locals; overnight as well as during the day. Your car will then be "just another car" in a place where cars come and go.

As such the normal car parks are probably empty from midnight to eight o'clock in the morning; so any car there will stick out like a sore thumb.

There is a road called "Ronda de Felipe IV" on Google Maps. It is walking distance to the ferry & might suit your purpose

Davexf