Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Pamplona: good place to live?

Pamplona: good place to live?

Old May 2nd 2008, 3:17 am
Just Joined

JohnCodega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pamplona: good place to live?

I could move for 12-18 months to Pamplona.

Anyone could tell me how's the place? Do we have the "spanish" movida?

I'm scared about the weather...I read cloudy 300 days a year? :curse: :curse: Possible?

Gracias
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Pamplona: good place to live?

Originally Posted by JohnCodega
I could move for 12-18 months to Pamplona.

Anyone could tell me how's the place? Do we have the "spanish" movida?

I'm scared about the weather...I read cloudy 300 days a year? :curse: :curse: Possible?

Gracias
I never thought of Pamplona as cloudy. It´s mostly sunny. The basque country to the North tends to be cloudy but they are South of the mountains. The North and East of Navarra tends to be green, the South mostly dry.

Navarra - Pamplona is the capital of the region - is a wealthy area of Spain, a good mix of industry - even some high tech - good education and agriculture. Navarra is the area of Spain with the highest percentage (close to 70%) of green energy (wind power and solar).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6430801.stm

Their heritage is a mix of Basque, Castilian and Aragonese. They are economically progressive and politically... somehow conservative.

As for "movida", yes. You don´t need to wait for the July 7th big fiesta to find it.

Last edited by gudes; May 2nd 2008 at 4:38 am.
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gudes
I never thought of Pamplona as cloudy. It´s mostly sunny. The basque country to the North tends to be cloudy but they are South of the mountains. The North and East of Navarra tends to be green, the South mostly dry.
Thanks a lot for the reply....really professional.
You know...I was doubtful...you make me feel more confident now!
Regarding the weather...I got the news from www.pamplona.es:

The sky in Pamplona tends to be very cloudy, with an average of 300 cloud-covered days a year. July and August have the greatest number of clear days, eight apiece, while the average in December reaches just 2. The number of hours of sunlight stands between 1,800 and 2,000 a year.

I think best idea is to come & enjoy for few days...maybe to get some intensive spanish course...

Thanks & bye
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JohnCodega
Thanks a lot for the reply....really professional.
You know...I was doubtful...you make me feel more confident now!
Regarding the weather...I got the news from www.pamplona.es:

The sky in Pamplona tends to be very cloudy, with an average of 300 cloud-covered days a year. July and August have the greatest number of clear days, eight apiece, while the average in December reaches just 2. The number of hours of sunlight stands between 1,800 and 2,000 a year.

I think best idea is to come & enjoy for few days...maybe to get some intensive spanish course...

Thanks & bye
They might be talking about a different Pamplona. This site reports 132 days of rain a year which is more like it.

http://www.enforex.com/guide-pamplona.html

De nada. Enjoy it!
Old May 4th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I go there quite a lot (my wife is ill and they have good hospitals). The city is open, wide and green with a smaller old part towards the top. This smaller area is more fun and is where the radical pro Basques hang out (Navarra is separate from the Basque Country but the dream is a 'united Basque Country' with - for histporical reasons - Pamplona as the capital). The rest of the city is arch conservative and the Opus Dei are big there. 'Politics', says a friend from there 'are black and white'.
The city is very pretty and you can see the countryside from anywhere you happen to be. There's a kind of old fort in a green park in the middle of Pamplona and several other parks. Lots of bars, of course, including endless 'Guinness Bars'.
It's small enough to walk across the city in a couple of hours. The weather is, I think, 'four seasons'.
Train to Madrid is about three hours.
Prices shoot up for the San Fermines in early July.
Old May 15th 2008, 5:05 am
Just Joined

thanks again for your replies and your help
Old May 15th 2008, 5:41 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Pamplona was voted the autonomous capital with the best quality of life in Spain. More here if you'rte interested.

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/249981/1/
Old May 24th 2008, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Lochy, interesting article

My dream actually would be to retire in GranCanaria, that also got a good rate!

bye