Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

painting outside terrace

painting outside terrace

Old Mar 5th 2012, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough
Default painting outside terrace

I am painting my outside terrace and have chipped off about 3-4 layers of very old paint and want to repaint white. Is there anything I need to apply first before the paint? Any kind of primer or just start painting?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:21 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: painting outside terrace

Once the old rubbish is off, just water the first coat down by about 15% and allow to dry before the next coat.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:47 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I found that brushing over first with a cement water mix,(no sand),to be very effective on poor crumbly or sandy surfaces, to allow for a long lasting subsequent coat of white.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
I am painting my outside terrace and have chipped off about 3-4 layers of very old paint and want to repaint white. Is there anything I need to apply first before the paint? Any kind of primer or just start painting?
You have got the required permission from your Town Hall?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:25 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You have got the required permission from your Town Hall?
You may think he's joking - he's not.

Officially you need permission (and/or licence) to do ANY THING on your house - inside or out. In practice, 99.9% of the time, people don't bother when repainting.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

my terrace is white and i am just repainting. same color. no change. they cant even see it from the street. i dont think i will bother them for a permit if your not joking hahaha

@Dick Dasterdly and @playamonte thank you
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

He isnt joking, certainly around here you are supposed to get a permit for ANY work done including repainting the outside, hope you havnt upset anyone and get denounced lol
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pwwm
He isnt joking, certainly around here you are supposed to get a permit for ANY work done including repainting the outside, hope you havnt upset anyone and get denounced lol
I am not changing colors. it is on my back terrace off my kitchen. i own the house. no mortgages or renting. I seriously have to ask permission for that? i can see the actually house maybe if i was changing colors so it is not like an unapproved color or something or if i was tearing down old stuff cause I know you have to keep the fasod of alot of houses the same. but seriously to take off white old paint and paint new white paint? none of my neighbours have ever said a thing about that and i have seen them paint
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I am not changing colors. it is on my back terrace off my kitchen. i own the house. no mortgages or renting. I seriously have to ask permission for that? i can see the actually house maybe if i was changing colors so it is not like an unapproved color or something or if i was tearing down old stuff cause I know you have to keep the fasod of alot of houses the same. but seriously to take off white old paint and paint new white paint? none of my neighbours have ever said a thing about that and i have seen them paint
you're supposed to get permission to paint indoors.............or so I've heard
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:34 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:28 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

my terrace is white and i am just repainting. same color. no change. they cant even see it from the street. i dont think i will bother them for a permit if your not joking hahaha

@Dick Dasterdly and @playamonte thank you
Just paint the bugger
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No one takes much notice but the local council only have a few ways of raising money and building licences are just one of them.

At the moment they need all the money they can get as no one is building anything significant.

I would not be surprised to see them chasing people now for trivial things like painting - 3% of the cost is now important to them!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

well they would have to come into my house and come to the back to see it cause it is not visible to the street. its like an interior courtyard terrace off my kitchen. unless they follow me to see where i am buying paint and come home with me and somehow watch me paint, i am gonna say i am safe.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:18 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you will be just don't leave any big cans of paint outside!

Our local townhall used to have a guy on a moped who toured the urbs looking for signs of building work. The usual giveaway was the pile of sand dumped outside. If he found anything it was checked out with the planning department to see if they had issued a licence. If not they clobbered the owners. Nice little earner!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:29 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

One day I saw a couple of our local police walking along the street with a clipboard. They stopped at a house down the road, checked the clipboard and then proceeded to check the marble step at the door. I know that this is a fairly old step and that they have no intention of having it replaced so I guess that the police just thought that it looked relatively new.

We are sticklers for gaining licences and have in the past added general painting of inside walls to licences regarding completely renewing bathrooms etc so are well covered but in Fadingstarlights position we probably would not bother.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.