British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   painter and decorator (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/painter-decorator-481492/)

julie and chad Sep 16th 2007 2:11 am

painter and decorator

hi my husband is a painter and decorator 18 years exp any idea how he would go with work in spain????? if anyone heres of any jobs can u let meno thanks:)

mikelincs Sep 16th 2007 3:55 am

Re: painter and decorator

Originally Posted by julie and chad (Post 5317974)
hi my husband is a painter and decorator 18 years exp any idea how he would go with work in spain????? if anyone heres of any jobs can u let meno thanks:)

Plenty of people advertising round here as painters, very little wallpaper used in Spanish houses, so that might not be lucrative, but if he can compete with the others that advertise, then should get some work. Painting grills and balustrading might well work as everyone need at least grills doing. Tryand find locla english language papers on line in the area you are looking at, and see just what people are looking for, offering as work.

spain Sep 16th 2007 4:12 am

Originally Posted by julie and chad (Post 5317974)

know a couple of painters who cant find enough painting work to sustain themselves so they have opted for other work now

lcortez Sep 16th 2007 5:28 am

What level is he qaulified up to?Maybe he could do commercial work as well,in new restaraunts etc ie decorative features or maybe try to get contracts with property developers etc:)

julie and chad Sep 18th 2007 8:50 am

Originally Posted by lcortez (Post 5318545)
What level is he qaulified up to?Maybe he could do commercial work as well,in new restaraunts etc ie decorative features or maybe try to get contracts with property developers etc:)

hi he works on commercial and residential has also worked on listed buildings new builds renovations interiors and exteriors any ideas ???:frown:

spain Sep 18th 2007 9:35 am

Originally Posted by julie and chad (Post 5327277)
hi he works on commercial and residential has also worked on listed buildings new builds renovations interiors and exteriors any ideas ???:frown:

does he speak Spanish ?

lcortez Sep 18th 2007 9:45 am

Originally Posted by julie and chad (Post 5327277)

Looks like he's well qaulified if working on listed buildings,best way forward in decoratingwould be to get in with property developers,also though about adding another skill onto existing ones.Painter and Decorater downstairs to us sprays exterior coatings onto properties,think he called it 'tex coat' or something,but apparently protects o/s of houses against the elements!
When are you thinking of moving & to what area?,if Benidorm/Alicante area I would be happy to distribute his business cards wit mine as no conflict of interest there.Thing to bear in mind in Spain,its not what you know,but who you know,in an business netwirking is essential:D

julie and chad Sep 18th 2007 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by lcortez (Post 5327436)
Looks like he's well qaulified if working on listed buildings,best way forward in decoratingwould be to get in with property developers,also though about adding another skill onto existing ones.Painter and Decorater downstairs to us sprays exterior coatings onto properties,think he called it 'tex coat' or something,but apparently protects o/s of houses against the elements!
When are you thinking of moving & to what area?,if Benidorm/Alicante area I would be happy to distribute his business cards wit mine as no conflict of interest there.Thing to bear in mind in Spain,its not what you know,but who you know,in an business netwirking is essential:D

thats what we thought what is it u do ? we are looking all over at the moment but would rather find something sooner rather than later i may email some prop developers and get a feel for what is out there also we have 5 kids what r schools like in ur area ? do u have kids ?ours r between 16 and 7 months.

julie and chad Sep 18th 2007 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by julie and chad (Post 5328591)
thats what we thought what is it u do ? we are looking all over at the moment but would rather find something sooner rather than later i may email some prop developers and get a feel for what is out there also we have 5 kids what r schools like in ur area ? do u have kids ?ours r between 16 and 7 months.

and he doesnt spk spanish unfortunatly this was one of the reasons thought we might struggle good thing is he can pretty mmuch turn his hand to anything...

amberandjason Sep 18th 2007 8:46 pm

Hi

Julie, we are going to spain and my husband is going into working on exterior of villas, we also have 5 children whose ages range from 16 to 2, Jason leaves on sunday but I am staying here waiting for the house to sell:( it's a big step but hopefully it will be a better life for the kids:)
Amber

julie and chad Sep 18th 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by amberandjason (Post 5328647)
Hi

Julie, we are going to spain and my husband is going into working on exterior of villas, we also have 5 children whose ages range from 16 to 2, Jason leaves on sunday but I am staying here waiting for the house to sell:( it's a big step but hopefully it will be a better life for the kids:)
Amber

hi amber thats brilliant i dont really no which way to turn for jobs where about is olivia? we want somewhere not to busy just a nice quiet family life really like u say better life for the kids and us chad and myself r only 33 and 35 so still quite young how did u manage to land the job ? we dont no where to start looking ? julie

lcortez Sep 18th 2007 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by julie and chad (Post 5328591)

Locksmith,dont know what schools are like as have no kids at mo,only 19:D
How about working as general handyman.pool cleaning etc,a lineage ad in CB News or its sister papers only costs 3.71 euro per line,20% discount for a year!Should make that back pretty easy:)Only siggest it as seems good idea to offer as much as poss as seems to be quite a lot of decoraters in our area,most seem to serve expt community (who all seem to be old & cant clean there own pools:p).:D

julie and chad Sep 18th 2007 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by lcortez (Post 5328746)
Locksmith,dont know what schools are like as have no kids at mo,only 19:D
How about working as general handyman.pool cleaning etc,a lineage ad in CB News or its sister papers only costs 3.71 euro per line,20% discount for a year!Should make that back pretty easy:)Only siggest it as seems good idea to offer as much as poss as seems to be quite a lot of decoraters in our area,most seem to serve expt community (who all seem to be old & cant clean there own pools:p).:D

lol good idea like i said chad will try anything will look into it thanks:thumbsup:

lcortez Sep 18th 2007 9:35 pm

Just looked on internet,saw a hoover type thingy that cleans pools for £250,charge 100 - 150 per pool dep on size should get that back ok,then leave about 5 cards per job to pass around for referrals,should be ok:)

amberandjason Sep 18th 2007 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by julie and chad (Post 5328734)
hi amber thats brilliant i dont really no which way to turn for jobs where about is olivia? we want somewhere not to busy just a nice quiet family life really like u say better life for the kids and us chad and myself r only 33 and 35 so still quite young how did u manage to land the job ? we dont no where to start looking ? julie

Hi Julie

We have bought into a franchise with my dad, Jason my husband is a accident repair centre manager by trade, so he is also thinking of setting up little business repairing minor damage to cars, Oliva is near Gandia they are both inbetween Valencia and Alicante, Jason and I are a little older than you me being 38 and Jason is my toyboy at 36.

Amber:)