Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Padron - new rules?

Padron - new rules?

Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all
Default Re: Padron - new rules?

Originally Posted by Fred James
Absolutely correct - the law is quite clear, to sign on the Padron you must be resident in Spain which means living there for more than half of the year - in fact unless you are tax resident in Spain you probably don't qualify to be on the Padron.

Unfortunately, as you say, many town halls have encouraged people who do not live in Spain to sign on just because they have holiday homes in Spain - to increase the subsidy they get from central government.

Bearing in mind the current "crisis" I would not be surprised if the tax office did not look at the people on the Padron and for those who did not declare their income for tax in Spain to suddenly find they get a letter from the tax office!
So, you have a holiday home in Spain, no requirement to go on Padron, and really if you must be resident in Spain, you cant register on it,

SO how do you buy a new car, or even pay the annual tax on it, as this is needed to register change of ownership
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:58 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
SO how do you buy a new car, or even pay the annual tax on it, as this is needed to register change of ownership
Do what everyone else does - sign on the padron. I was merely pointing out that, in theory, you should not be on the padron if you are not a resident.

But in Spain who cares about the theory!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
Do what everyone else does - sign on the padron. I was merely pointing out that, in theory, you should not be on the padron if you are not a resident.

But in Spain who cares about the theory!
S**t Fred, I forgot about the Ley10000001.234.567..
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the tax people (Hacienda) can't consult the INE records. Well, in theory I suppose.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snikpoh
What discounts are these then? I've never received a discount on any of the various taxes that I pay (car tax, IBI, building tax (for reforms), income tax etc..) and I've been on the padron from day 1 when I arrived here.
No one seems to have responded to this. We have never received any discounts for registering on the padron either. The only difference is that we are allowed to pay our council tax in 2 lumps in May and October instead of 100 in July. Makes no difference to us so we don't bother to split it.

If anyone has benefitted from discounts I would be very interested to know what they are.

Rose
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
No one seems to have responded to this. We have never received any discounts for registering on the padron either. The only difference is that we are allowed to pay our council tax in 2 lumps in May and October instead of 100 in July. Makes no difference to us so we don't bother to split it.

If anyone has benefitted from discounts I would be very interested to know what they are.

Rose
Hi, I've just seen this thread....

Estepona give a discount on the IBI if your sign on the padron, but I've never heard of anywhere else and we are right next door yet our area doesn't give discounts! Bugger!