PADRON?

Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough
Question PADRON?

Can anyone advise please if you need to be registered on the padron to purchase a car in spain?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:19 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PADRON?

Some say yes, others say no.
I have bought two Spanish cars so far and not on padron yet. Both cars were new and bought from main dealer who took care of all the paperwork.
First time was long ago when NIE was very long winded to get so I got a NIF from hacienda which sufficed for registering a car. For second car, Trafico wouldnt accept old NIF so I had to get the NIE from Oficina de Extranjeros. As has been pointed out, there are two distinct operations, purchasing a car is one thing, registering it in your name is another.

The "padron" seems to be mis-used in some areas as it is meant to signify your primary place of residence and right to vote and stand in elections etc. As far as I know you can not be empadronamiento in two places. The UK is in the minority across Europe in that we do not have an equivalent to the Padron, except for the electoral register. However someone who lives 7 months in Belgium and 5 months in Spain would be on the padron in Belgium and could not be on the padron too in Spain, but they can buy and register a car in Spain, at least here in Sevilla they can.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:42 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Some say yes, others say no.
I have bought two Spanish cars so far and not on padron yet. Both cars were new and bought from main dealer who took care of all the paperwork.
First time was long ago when NIE was very long winded to get so I got a NIF from hacienda which sufficed for registering a car. For second car, Trafico wouldnt accept old NIF so I had to get the NIE from Oficina de Extranjeros. As has been pointed out, there are two distinct operations, purchasing a car is one thing, registering it in your name is another.

The "padron" seems to be mis-used in some areas as it is meant to signify your primary place of residence and right to vote and stand in elections etc. As far as I know you can not be empadronamiento in two places. The UK is in the minority across Europe in that we do not have an equivalent to the Padron, except for the electoral register. However someone who lives 7 months in Belgium and 5 months in Spain would be on the padron in Belgium and could not be on the padron too in Spain, but they can buy and register a car in Spain, at least here in Sevilla they can.
Shame on you el capitan!!

'padron' and 'right to vote' are two very different things ( at least around here)

the local government gets money for each resident, so if you are signed on the padron they get money for you, if you're not, they don't

as you can imagine this a problem in areas where there are a lot of folks who live there a lot of, or all the time & aren't on the padron, as the local government doesn't have enough money to provide services

but being on the padron doesn't give you the right to vote

around here, you have to sign a diffeernt register to be able to vote - you go to the same place, but a differnt window
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:45 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

We had to be on the 'padron to buy a car.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

'padron' and 'right to vote' are two very different things ( at least around here)

the local government gets money for each resident, so if you are signed on the padron they get money for you, if you're not, they don't

as you can imagine this a problem in areas where there are a lot of folks who live there a lot of, or all the time & aren't on the padron, as the local government doesn't have enough money to provide services

around here, you have to sign a diffeernt register to be able to vote - you go to the same place, but a differnt window
Being on the Padron means better quality of life for your community with more resoucres and services, it this correct
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:33 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

In the past many towns with a high number of holiday homes have encouraged the owners to sign on even though they are not resident. They do this to increase the funding as it is based on the number of residents.

Some other towns took a different approach and only allowed you to sign on if you had residency.

The latter is actually correct because the law says that you must be on the padron in the town where you habitually reside - ie a Spaniard living in Madrid with a holiday home in Marbella cannot sign on the padron in Marbella.

The same applies to non residents as they do not "live" in the town. However each town stretches its interpretation of the rules to suit their own needs. In my town they have a population of 25000 which swells in Summer to over 200000. The vast majority of the visitors are Spanish so the town cannot put them on the padron but still needs money to support the infrastructure in Summer. Thus they are more than happy to sign up any foreigner - resident or not - I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a few owner's dogs on the padron!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lynnxa

But having checked with various colleagues, it is not legal to be empadronamiento in two places at once and you should only be on the padron of the council for your primary place of residence. So whilst some local ayuntamientos have been accepting "non-residents" onto the padron to get their community funds, there seems to be a degree of legal issue here, if not corruption. Again it is different from place to place and office to office. Obviously my ayuntamiento has me on some sort of register as they send me the bills for taxes for car, bike, house etc. but that is somehow different from actually registering on the padron. Having no kids of school age, I can only go on info from colleagues who say that where they are on the padron affects their rights to schools and other perks. And incidentally friends have all their family, including young kids on the padron to swell the numbers.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fred James
In the past many towns with a high number of holiday homes have encouraged the owners to sign on even though they are not resident. They do this to increase the funding as it is based on the number of residents.

Some other towns took a different approach and only allowed you to sign on if you had residency.

The latter is actually correct because the law says that you must be on the padron in the town where you habitually reside - ie a Spaniard living in Madrid with a holiday home in Marbella cannot sign on the padron in Marbella.

The same applies to non residents as they do not "live" in the town. However each town stretches its interpretation of the rules to suit their own needs. In my town they have a population of 25000 which swells in Summer to over 200000. The vast majority of the visitors are Spanish so the town cannot put them on the padron but still needs money to support the infrastructure in Summer. Thus they are more than happy to sign up any foreigner - resident or not - I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a few owner's dogs on the padron!
Thats how I understand it too Fred. I wonder if numbers on the padron will eventually be analysed in the same way as the number of olive trees in Andalucia receiving EU grant aid. As satellite imagery became more sophisticated they found that they could count olive trees from satellite photos with a computer and they found out that every farmer was routinely claiming 10% more trees than they actually had. In theory Andalucia was almost not large enough to have as many trees as claimed.

Of course the equivalent "local income" issue also exists in the UK big holiday spots. The number of local council tax payers in Devon and Cornwall does not suffice to easily cover the infrastructure needed to deal with the huge influx of summer visitors.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Being on the Padron means better quality of life for your community with more resoucres and services, it this correct
In a way andy yes, more people on the padron gives the ayuntamiento more income from central funds to provide local services. But then how many stories are there citing various forms of corruption in local councils ?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:02 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vox populia
Can anyone advise please if you need to be registered on the padron to purchase a car in spain?
Our experience is that we had to be registered, both to import and purchase. But if you have any doubts why not talk to the gestoriar when you come to register the car. They will know if it is required in the area you are going to live in.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:07 am
Account Closed

One thing which is quite definitely required is some sort of proof of address for registering a vehicle in your name to ensure they can send any tax bills to you. Whilst a padron certificate can fulfil that requirement, a utility bill in your name can also suffice for that purpose. And note that the tax bill for a vehicle can be different from place to place. Here it is more expensive to tax the same car in the city than in the surrounding pueblos.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

But having checked with various colleagues, it is not legal to be empadronamiento in two places at once and you should only be on the padron of the council for your primary place of residence. So whilst some local ayuntamientos have been accepting "non-residents" onto the padron to get their community funds, there seems to be a degree of legal issue here, if not corruption. Again it is different from place to place and office to office. Obviously my ayuntamiento has me on some sort of register as they send me the bills for taxes for car, bike, house etc. but that is somehow different from actually registering on the padron. Having no kids of school age, I can only go on info from colleagues who say that where they are on the padron affects their rights to schools and other perks. And incidentally friends have all their family, including young kids on the padron to swell the numbers.
that's why I said 'at least around here' - here it is positively encouraged
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We were unable to register a car in our name without a padron certificate .... there was no alternative, we had to have it.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:29 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
We were unable to register a car in our name without a padron certificate .... there was no alternative, we had to have it.
We were the same when registering our car but I wondered whether it is because of it being imported into Spain. Maybe it is not always necessary to have the padron for buying a car at the dealers.

Rosemary
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We were the same when registering our car but I wondered whether it is because of it being imported into Spain. Maybe it is not always necessary to have the padron for buying a car at the dealers.

Rosemary
No, I couldn't register the car I bought in Spain until I produced my Padron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.