Oviedo

Old Jun 25th 2017, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Jessinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oviedo

Hello,

I'm looking at moving to Oviedo in September. Myself and my boyfriend are 26 and just wondering if anyone has any insight into the life style of the city / good or bad experiences of the city as a whole. I can't find a great deal online which isn't just holiday advice.

We've never visited and it would be a move for work so just keen to hear some opinions. We've previously lived in Granada so it's a big change location wise!

Thanks, Jess
Old Jun 25th 2017, 5:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oviedo

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oviedo

Hi Jess,

Oviedo is a great little city. Difficult to get any idea of what life is about there from the internet - we all view our World from our own perspective. Pretty sure I have seen people posting here from Asturias, so you may get some feedback later.

Personally, the greatest difference between life in Granada and Oviedo is the rain, and how that rain (or, lack of it in Granada) affects the local culture. Oviedo still has the outdoor culture you get in Andalucia, but not nearly as much. Initially, this can make visitors feel more like outsiders. Granadinos are very open people - everyone is chatting and partying together on the streets until winter hits. Oviedo is more about siderias (don't think English cider in pints - cider in Asturias is a very serious thing (as is the local attitude to food - no free tapas here)) and clubs, or associations for social life. It is a city I enjoy very much. A very good friend was born there and still has family there, but he prefers Granada as I do.

The countryside is as green as Ireland, or Wales. It rains quite a lot, but rarely gets cold. Again, culturally you will notice much more familiarities with Gaelic/Celtic traditions.

Most famous for cows milk, strangely I don't recall seeing a single cow in a field. There are some of course, just that I was expecting to see many and saw none!

Enjoy!