Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

overpaying voluntary NI contributions

overpaying voluntary NI contributions

Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default overpaying voluntary NI contributions

Hi, I am nearing my 30 year contribution to qualify for a full UK state pension. Is there any benefit (as I have the choice) to pay in any more?

If you pay in say 31 years worth, do you get 31/30ths x basic state pension?

Many thanks in advance, much appreciated.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

linjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: overpaying voluntary NI contributions

Sadly not! I had paid in 33 years and then received a letter saying I could continue to pay NI and an amount annually was quoted. Rang them and was told that once 30 years contributions was reached then I would receive the full state pension.
When I then asked what was the benefit to me of continuing to pay I was told that unfortunately there wasn't any!!
Guess I would have been helping to pay off the national debt then??
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, that's what they told me - suppose if you don't have a choice you have to continue paying.

Much appreciated
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: overpaying voluntary NI contributions

Originally Posted by poolboy
Hi, I am nearing my 30 year contribution to qualify for a full UK state pension. Is there any benefit (as I have the choice) to pay in any more?

If you pay in say 31 years worth, do you get 31/30ths x basic state pension?

Many thanks in advance, much appreciated.
As already stated there is no benefit from over paying but if you have they will reimburse you what you have paid..I even received a letter from them to tell me how much I was due. Miracles do happen even in the National Insurance office!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=chrisjolly;9126844]As already stated there is no benefit from over paying but if you have they will reimburse you what you have paid..I even received a letter from them to tell me how much I was due. Miracles do happen even in the National Insurance office![QUOTE]

It must be a miracle.....I paid for forty years and they didn't reimburse me!

Last edited by megmet; Jan 26th 2011 at 12:29 am.