Overpaid Tax

Old Oct 25th 2016, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overpaid Tax

I complete and file my tax returns online and, normally, pay the tax due in one installment, again online. This year however, as the tax was a larger amount, I attempted to pay it in two installments. This met with difficulties as the online program would only go so far and then stall. In the end I got fed up and bit the bullet; I paid the full amount in one installment.
On checking my bank statement I found that both the 1st installment and the full amount had been taken from my account.
I have been waiting to be contacted by hacienda, they are usually on the ball, after the return and payments had been processed; I have heard nothing.
How do I go on about applying for a refund, or will the overpayment remain on my account as part payment of my next tax return.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overpaid Tax

Originally Posted by stevesainty
I complete and file my tax returns online and, normally, pay the tax due in one installment, again online. This year however, as the tax was a larger amount, I attempted to pay it in two installments. This met with difficulties as the online program would only go so far and then stall. In the end I got fed up and bit the bullet; I paid the full amount in one installment.
On checking my bank statement I found that both the 1st installment and the full amount had been taken from my account.
I have been waiting to be contacted by hacienda, they are usually on the ball, after the return and payments had been processed; I have heard nothing.
How do I go on about applying for a refund, or will the overpayment remain on my account as part payment of my next tax return.
You have been on the Hacienda web and checked it shows up as a "positive balance "?

Coincidence - today's Invertia long article about Hacienda and delays on refunds .
�Qu� hacer si Hacienda a�n no me ha pagado?

Assume your situation is similar , note that if they do not repay by 31st December obliged to pay interest.

You should contact your local tax office and lodge your complaint so that everyone has "official " notification you are owed money.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overpaid Tax

Some (maybe all?) bank's online systems allow you take back payments made in error - although this may only apply to direct debits paid in error. Talk to your bank, although this option is only available for a short period after a payment has been made.