British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Overcome with sadness (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/overcome-sadness-415858/)

Miss Naughty Dec 29th 2006 1:43 pm

Overcome with sadness

Hi,
I was just driving to the shop's when all of a sudden i started crying like an idiot, With this overcome feeling of sadness about moving and thinking what the hell am i doing. :(

I then thought why was i feeling so emotional and it was not for missing family or friends or i will miss the uk.

It was more of feeling scared about the unknown and if it is the right decision.
I know with us moving it is the right thing to do, but i cant shift this feeling.

I have been so excited and happy but since i blubbed like a newborn i have this feeling of dread.

Has anyone else ever felt like this?

jdr Dec 29th 2006 1:47 pm

Re: Overcome with sadness

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty (Post 4234419)
Hi,
I was just driving to the shop's when all of a sudden i started crying like an idiot, With this overcome feeling of sadness about moving and thinking what the hell am i doing. :(

I then thought why was i feeling so emotional and it was not for missing family or friends or i will miss the uk.

It was more of feeling scared about the unknown and if it is the right decision.
I know with us moving it is the right thing to do, but i cant shift this feeling.

I have been so excited and happy but since i blubbed like a newborn i have this feeling of dread.

Only the last time I visited the UK and bought a round of drinks :scared:

Miss Naughty Dec 29th 2006 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4234432)
Only the last time I visited the UK and bought a round of drinks :scared:

Still the same pub prices and the measures are crap.

Thing is if i dont pull myself together i will end up needing a years supply of prozac :(

I just can not shake this feeling of dread.

Lionda Dec 29th 2006 2:13 pm

Hi,

Moving to a new country is a journey into the unknown. You can ask all the questions you like and receive lots of tips and advice but it is still a journey into the unknown. You have memories and family and friends you are leaving behind and this in itself has to be an emotional experience. I may even feel the same when we finally get a moving date. Have a good cry and then think about what a wonderful experience you are heading for.....be positive (I'm sure you are) and dry your tears, stick on some fresh slap ;) and think of me still stressing and wondering just what I have put in all those taped up boxes which have been packed since October and may not be opened until March :eek:

jdr Dec 29th 2006 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty (Post 4234447)
Still the same pub prices and the measures are crap.

Thing is if i dont pull myself together i will end up needing a years supply of prozac :(

I just can not shake this feeling of dread.

You will be ok when you get here, you just have to remember that you have to adapt to the Spanish way, you will certainly not change them to the English way.
A lot of Brits dont like the maƱana way of life, they cant adapt to it, expect things too quick and go back, just relax and enjoy it. http://bestsmileys.com/cool/5.gif

Compost Mentis Dec 29th 2006 2:50 pm

Hi there,

Yes definitely. I keep swinging from feeling very excited to very anxious, to very sad, and back again. Sometimes I think, Oh my God, I must be mad, I really don't know if it will all work out. Maybe I will end up very poor,and miles away from friends and family etc. Sometimes I'm quite elated, planning building work, and imagining what my new life will be like. In reality I know that it will be somewhare in the middle. I think that what we are going through, and I'm pretty sure we are not the only ones, is simply a grieving process. A process of giving up aspects of an old life, so we can fully embrace the new. However you look at it, moving to another country/culture, involves huge changes, and even if most of them are positive changes, they don't happen without a certain amount of fear and doubt about whether or not we are doing the right thing, and sadness for the people and places we are leaving behind. What we can't see at the moment are all the people and places that we will bond with in Spain, and the waiting period between one and the other doesn't help either. I just want to get on and do it.

Are your family having similar feelings? ;)

Pam Sarky Dec 29th 2006 3:00 pm

Hi,

I have to say I didnt ever feel like you are feeling right now. I was just desperate and excited for us to start our new lives over here in Spain. Its a big move for you, we dont have any children so it was easier for us to up sticks and come here. But go for it girl and make a good life for you and your family. Good luck with the move :)

Sam

Chiclanagir Dec 29th 2006 4:29 pm

I bawled my eyes out when I left my old house and town but soon got over it. My heart will always be at home but my head is over here now.

Miss Naughty Dec 29th 2006 4:39 pm

HI,
Thanks for all your kind word's.

Thing that is really strange i am a very strong person and normally my attitude is "oh well what will be will be"
But this feeling is so unexpected, as for the family i really am not bothered as i will still see and speak to them as much as i do now.

Just called hubby and he said he had the same feeling's but not upset about going more adventure and the positive things that can come out of this.
Hubby has said i have been very snappy all over the xmas season and everyone has noticed this :( (i did not though ha ha) and he said maybe i needed this cry to get it out of me.

I will probably be totally happy tomorrow (hope so) I know i am closing a chapter in my life and starting a new but this sickness in the pit of my tummy is over whelming and i have never felt it before.

Well i will stop wallowing in my own self pity and think a start to a whole new life. :)

anabella Dec 29th 2006 4:47 pm

Do you think you'd be happier if you never tried it out and lived the rest of your life wondering what it would have been like to live in Spain?.. that's your answer..

And we are here for you as you well know..

Miss Naughty Dec 29th 2006 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 4234764)
Do you think you'd be happier if you never tried it out and lived the rest of your life wondering what it would have been like to live in Spain?.. that's your answer..

And we are here for you as you well know..

HI Anabella,
Hope you are getting on great?
I think i am having a scatty mad moment, i would never not go because of this feeling and i know i have to make the most of every single day. And i plan to, It is just a feeling of the unknown and i know i will over come it. I am hoping by tomorrow :D

anabella Dec 29th 2006 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty (Post 4234776)
HI Anabella,
Hope you are getting on great?
I think i am having a scatty mad moment, i would never not go because of this feeling and i know i have to make the most of every single day. And i plan to, It is just a feeling of the unknown and i know i will over come it. I am hoping by tomorrow :D

I got moments like that before I left England.. I would just look at the stunning countryside and I would start crying.. I just knew I was really going to miss it..

I live in an amazing place in the Rocky Mountains, it is really beautiful.. but guess what.. I miss the British countryside (not to mention other things like M & S).. We just can't have everything..

I am sure you have thought of everything good and bad about both where you are and where you are going and you are making the right move.. You won't be far from home and you could always go back if the new setting/lifestyle doesn't meet your expectations..

patsywhitehair Dec 29th 2006 5:22 pm

blimey, I do remember how you feel, we left UK Feb just gone and about 4 months before we left I was feeling really scared, had panic attacks and thought "is this going to spain really worth it" BUT, the moment the house in uk was sold, furniture sent out to spain and my partner and I boarded the plane I felt a lot better. My brother and sister in law were at airport to greet us with a big banner saying welcome to spain, we went back to our house and celebrated with champagne, we have not looked back since.
we are taking spanish lessons (hard but we persevere) and made some friends, and we are really enjoying it here in spain so...
dont worry things have a way of slotting in place, you wll make friends and you will have more visitors fm Uk than enough, enjoy and good luck

kaylee Dec 29th 2006 8:51 pm

I had an emotional moment Christmas Day, watching my Grandaughter 19months old opening her pressies and me thinking ' if all goes to plan we will be in Spain next year and won't see her Christmas' but my daughter soon put me back on track by saying they'd be over there with us for Christmas and I can't get rid of them that easy:)

Mercedes Dec 30th 2006 12:55 am

You will be fine, the one good thing is you are only a couple of hours away from family if the urge gets you to go home and see anyone. It is nerve racking and if you keep yourself busy it helps. I'm only up the road when I'm here so you can always pm me if you need someone close to help. Although I may be away more next year. But there are a few of us in the area on here if you need to meet up for a coffee. I came here without knowing anyone or speaking spanish. I drove down here on my todd and had never been here before, armed with a baseball bat and first aid kit in case I got car jacked....the first aid kit was in case I hit the wrong person....:D

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty (Post 4234749)
HI,
Thanks for all your kind word's.

Thing that is really strange i am a very strong person and normally my attitude is "oh well what will be will be"
But this feeling is so unexpected, as for the family i really am not bothered as i will still see and speak to them as much as i do now.

Just called hubby and he said he had the same feeling's but not upset about going more adventure and the positive things that can come out of this.
Hubby has said i have been very snappy all over the xmas season and everyone has noticed this :( (i did not though ha ha) and he said maybe i needed this cry to get it out of me.

I will probably be totally happy tomorrow (hope so) I know i am closing a chapter in my life and starting a new but this sickness in the pit of my tummy is over whelming and i have never felt it before.

Well i will stop wallowing in my own self pity and think a start to a whole new life. :)