British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   From over a week to under 9 seconds (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/over-week-under-9-seconds-921347/)

spainrico Jan 23rd 2019 2:49 pm

From over a week to under 9 seconds

In the early 2000s I used to pay a sterling cheque into Caja Murcia bank (long since merged in with God knows who) and eventually (around a week+) the cheque cleared and euros were placed in my account.

I have just transferred money from the UK to Spain using Transferwise (which I first discovered on this forum) and the entire transaction took under 9 seconds.

I am IT literate (used to work in it) so not much amazes me but this has blown me away.

They gave me 1.149 exchange rate and charged 18.24pds. No I do not work for them but I would recommend them.

rachelk Jan 23rd 2019 3:07 pm

Re: From over a week to under 9 seconds

Transferwise is excellent, I also highly recommend it.

Loafing Along Jan 23rd 2019 4:00 pm

Yes generally excellent, good exchange rate , small fee, rapid transfer.

Retired in Euskadi Jan 23rd 2019 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12626134)
In the early 2000s I used to pay a sterling cheque into Caja Murcia bank (long since merged in with God knows who) and eventually (around a week+) the cheque cleared and euros were placed in my account.

I have just transferred money from the UK to Spain using Transferwise (which I first discovered on this forum) and the entire transaction took under 9 seconds.

I am IT literate (used to work in it) so not much amazes me but this has blown me away.

They gave me 1.149 exchange rate and charged 18.24pds. No I do not work for them but I would recommend them.

I use Currency Fair & do not work for them either. Have just had a look now; exchange rate was 1.142 & their charge is always £3 no matter the amount you exchange. I'll stick with them for now.

snikpoh Jan 23rd 2019 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi (Post 12626181)
I use Currency Fair & do not work for them either. Have just had a look now; exchange rate was 1.142 & their charge is always £3 no matter the amount you exchange. I'll stick with them for now.

I recently transferred a largish sum from UK and compared TransferWise and CurrencyFair. TransferWise gave me 50€ extra all fees, rates etc. taken into account.

I did the same comparison last time I did a transfer and the result was again that TransferWise was better.

Loafing Along Jan 23rd 2019 5:20 pm

Do they accept Debit Card deposits or only by bank transfer ?

spainrico Jan 23rd 2019 5:23 pm

On those numbers I think I am 18€ better off with transferwise.

bobd22 Jan 23rd 2019 5:53 pm

I too use Currency Fair have done so for a number of years always been good. I don't transfer large amounts these days and like the ability to drip feed spare cash in then do a single transfer for €3 . Or like today with money in my £ account with them and seeing exchange rising a bit set a rate. I got an email this afternoon saying my rate had been met and exchanged, very simple to use.