Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Outskirts of Barcelona for a young family

Outskirts of Barcelona for a young family

Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:55 am
Just Joined

tinnat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Outskirts of Barcelona for a young family

Hello! We'll be moving to Barcelona in spring 2008 and are looking property outside Barcelona to rent or to buy. We would like to live close to the international schools and close to other expats, but as we will be working in Barcelona we would not like to go too far out (I guess Sitges would be too far?) Our budget (for renting) would be around 3000 euros and we are looking for green and quiet areas away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Can any expats give some guidance here on what areas to look at, inland or by the coast? Where do most expat families working in Barceloan live? Thank you !
Old Oct 13th 2007, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Outskirts of Barcelona for a young family

bump!
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:14 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi tinnat and welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid I can't help you with your queries, except to say that Barcelona is one of my favourite cities in the world and think you will enjoy living there.

I'm sure there are a few here who live, or have lived, or are living in that area and may be able to help you out. Sorry I can't do more than just say welcome.

Best of luck to you and your family,
Martha
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:26 am
Just Joined

rwbcn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

A popular place for expats to live is Sant Cugat del Valles. It is only 15-20mns by the FGC train into Plaza Catalunya. It is a suburb with treelined streets and close to the Collserola National Park. There is an International school in Sant Cugat (for 0-18 yrs!) see www.europais.com. They have a very Catalan curriculum and do not offer the international baccalaureate. They do however encourage languages and chidren are taught in English, Spanish and Catalan. Other British Schools are in the city such as Oak House and Kensington School. They either have British primary education and then Catalan secondary (some taught in English) or also a secondary school British curriculum. You could live in Sitges or Olivella (the countryside inland from there) and there is a British School near there. (The British School of Barcelona) but you will have up to 1 hr commute with traffic or using trains by the time you get to your destination. I would suggest when you first come to be nearer the city as it can be tricky enough adjusting. It is always easier to feel part of it all at first and find moral support from other expats. There are also areas uptown which are very nice and leafy and are near parks and schools. With your budget you could find a nice place (check out Sarria). Alternatively very close to the centre of the city is a residential area called Diagonal Mar which is by the beach. You could get a large flat with communal pool and garden and there are lots of other parents there. Hope this helps I could go on all day.....!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Original poster here. Thanks, rwbcn, for your answer! Very useful advice. I am getting a bit worried about house prices, as it seems to be that for 3500 euros I won't get the type of house I currently have in a good quiet location! I guess we'll just have rent a place closer to the city first, then look around once we settle in. What amazes me is how the Spaniards can afford to pay these prices, seeing that Spanish salaries are notoriously low.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

rwbcn is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a surprising amount of people with money here! I can't be sure how ..either some made a fortune with property prices going throught the roof (some families owned several flats or buildings!) or many people are business owners and of course tourism has also grown dramatically. Salaries are low but it seems that the hierarchy is top heavy when it comes to wages. Often you find business owners live in fantastic places and drive around in luxury cars but the people that work for them are on around 1000 euros a month permanently! The family business and saving culture is also very strong here. Still the rents are high and you get little for your money - it is also why a huge percentage of 30 somethings are still living at home with their parents here and saving endlessly for a down payment!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

lisa podmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tinnat

I just used the search tool to find a thread about going to Barcelona with family. You mentioned you were going in Spring - have you been/gone? I'm hoping to move out to Barcelona with my family - husb and 3 kids 14, 12 and 8. We would need to be near British school as my daughter will be starting GCSEs and we may need to return to UK (depending on husband's business) in the future. So, was just wondering how you are getting on and if you have any tips for us?

I have been told that Castelldefells (Sorry about spelling!) is a good area for families with good schools close by.

Any other info on moving to Barcelona with children would be grateful to have, ie, schools, meeting other expats, picking up Catalan/Spanish quickly etc...

Thank you.

Lisa
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi!

unfortunately we did not move to Barcelona, because we decided it wasn't the right move for us! to be honest, a large part of our decision was based on how expensive housing proved to be. Good luck with Casteldefels and Spain in general!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

mirpj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm Spanish and I live 20km far away from Barcelona.

As someone said previously Sant Cugat del Vallés it's a good choice, so as Les Fonts or Matadepera.

I live in Terrassa which is in the middle of those I mentioned and Ask about anything you like.

Mir
xxxxxxx
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:54 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Just a note. I'd rent rather than buying for two reasons.

First prices are in a free fall, the bubble has finally burst and prices are on the way down. If they fall in line with wages they will drop in the range of 70% (my own prediction is 50%)

Two if your renting your have a lot more flexiblity in picking up and moving. Had a freind move here (Madrid) with kids and after a year went back to the UK. Had they bought they would have been in trouble.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Obviously in Barcelona there is not only the problem about the Spanish language, its also the Catalan. Houses around the south are cheaper than here in Catalonia
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:46 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mirpj
Obviously in Barcelona there is not only the problem about the Spanish language, its also the Catalan. Houses around the south are cheaper than here in Catalonia

And of course theres all that lovely tax cash from Seat Motors in Barcelona that we do not let Madrid get their greedy little fingers on
Catalonia is a very wealthy part of Spain. A little colder than the south in winter but giving much more in culture and well being,I think so anyway Never been back to the UK in 4 years should have moved here years ago, Grandchildren aged 5 go to a Catalan school and have no problems I have to ask them what certain words mean in Catalan, They picked up the language so quickly. The school is a credit to any education system why send them to an international school they can still wear their union jack tee shirts and read the sun after school........errrrrr maybe not

Last edited by poshnbucks; Apr 4th 2008 at 2:48 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

I'm all the opposite of the British Expats. I'll be a Spanish Expat

I agree with you that children wont need any British school in Catalonia. They will learn Catalan because they will hear it all the time, the same as the Spanish. English they will never lose it as the parents are English and if you keep talking to them in English...

About me it will be different. Moving to the Uk and then once I have kids my question is if they will lose my Catalan heritage.... Of course I want them to speak Spanish, but then it will be they will hear 3 different languages as my boyfriend is English and doesn't speak Spanish.

Big thing...

Our winter hasn't been exactly a proper winter if you noticed.... no rain at all! That's sad....

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
And of course theres all that lovely tax cash from Seat Motors in Barcelona that we do not let Madrid get their greedy little fingers on
Catalonia is a very wealthy part of Spain. A little colder than the south in winter but giving much more in culture and well being,I think so anyway Never been back to the UK in 4 years should have moved here years ago, Grandchildren aged 5 go to a Catalan school and have no problems I have to ask them what certain words mean in Catalan, They picked up the language so quickly. The school is a credit to any education system why send them to an international school they can still wear their union jack tee shirts and read the sun after school........errrrrr maybe not
Old Apr 6th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

flood will become famous soon enough

I've lived here in Catalunia for 16 years and know Barcelona and Girona very well. If I had a choice I would ALWAYS take Girona over Barcelona. In one word, Girona is much nicer. And you have 40 or more Ryanair flights a day via Girona airport when you need to go somewhere else.

Robin
Old Apr 6th 2008, 1:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood
In one word, Girona is much nicer.
That's four words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.