Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Our water has been cut off!

Our water has been cut off!

Old Jul 7th 2006, 4:50 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
maryg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Midlands/Murcia
Posts: 163
maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Question Our water has been cut off!

Hi everyone.....
Well the work on the house has been coming along nicely.........almost finished in fact.......just a slight hic cup.......the builder has informed me that the water has been cut off.
We go over on Sunday evening and will have to go and sort it out Monday morning at the water office. My builder tried to sort it out but was told he needed our NIE numbers.
The agent who we dealt with was supposed have sorted the water supply out and I foolishly didn't follow up the fact that we haven't had any bills. I did get my bank manager who speaks English to chase him up but still no bills...
Anyway......does anyone know if I'll get fined an obscene amount of money or will I be able to sweet talk my way out of it? We will have our cute little 2 year old grand daughter with us......who looks Spanish and can say a few words of Spanish!
Mary (probably 'a bit smelly by monday morning Mary' )
maryg is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2006, 6:43 am
  #2  
Popping in for a chat
 
Lionda's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Back home
Posts: 4,573
Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Whoops! looks like you are in a right pickle!! I can't offer any advise, just curious to know the outcome and wishing you luck. Hope you manage to sweet talk the authorities

Lin (still in England and about to run a bath )
Lionda is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2006, 6:53 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
maryg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Midlands/Murcia
Posts: 163
maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Originally Posted by Lionda
Whoops! looks like you are in a right pickle!! I can't offer any advise, just curious to know the outcome and wishing you luck. Hope you manage to sweet talk the authorities

Lin (still in England and about to run a bath )

Thanks!
I'll keep you posted!
Wouldn't mind so much if the pool was clean.......it's a murky green mess at the moment, with more mossies than a New Orleans swamp, so no chance of a quick dip to cool off on Sunday when we get there
Mary
maryg is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:36 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Mercedes's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Depends
Posts: 4,041
Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

My lawyer sorted out all my amenties, could you speak to your lawyer who dealt with the purchase. I wouldn't rely on an agent, once they have your money, bye bye...

Its not great without water, I have a well and my pump went and for 4 days I was washing with bottled water, and you'd be surprised how much water you can go through, even just flushing the loo.

Originally Posted by maryg
Hi everyone.....
Well the work on the house has been coming along nicely.........almost finished in fact.......just a slight hic cup.......the builder has informed me that the water has been cut off.
We go over on Sunday evening and will have to go and sort it out Monday morning at the water office. My builder tried to sort it out but was told he needed our NIE numbers.
The agent who we dealt with was supposed have sorted the water supply out and I foolishly didn't follow up the fact that we haven't had any bills. I did get my bank manager who speaks English to chase him up but still no bills...
Anyway......does anyone know if I'll get fined an obscene amount of money or will I be able to sweet talk my way out of it? We will have our cute little 2 year old grand daughter with us......who looks Spanish and can say a few words of Spanish!
Mary (probably 'a bit smelly by monday morning Mary' )
Mercedes is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:39 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Guadalhorce Valley, Málaga
Posts: 1,059
Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Originally Posted by Mercedes
... could you speak to your lawyer who dealt with the purchase. I wouldn't rely on an agent, once they have your money, bye bye......
Much the same with lawyers in my experience!!
Beachcomber is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:44 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Mercedes's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Depends
Posts: 4,041
Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Much the same with lawyers in my experience!!
Yeh you could be right there, but mine sorted mine out before he had my money, probably a good incentive, lol. But sitting in their office works wonders every day, annoying them, especially with other potential clients around, it is amazing how the extra mile they will go. Seen it happen with a real estate agent who hadn't been paid her commission, she took up residence in their office, moaning to their other clients....not good for business....
Mercedes is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:48 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
maryg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Midlands/Murcia
Posts: 163
maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

The agent did apparently transfer the water but forgot to tell me I should have gone to the Aqualia office, with our NIE's and signed the direct debits......I have to take blame for not following it up. My Spanish friends have told me that it should be ok, no fine and if I get to the office first thing Monday, the water should be back on the same day.......

As for flushing the toilet Mercedes,......I'm going to fast from today till Monday!!!!!

Mary
maryg is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:56 pm
  #8  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,377
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Originally Posted by maryg
The agent did apparently transfer the water but forgot to tell me I should have gone to the Aqualia office, with our NIE's and signed the direct debits......I have to take blame for not following it up. My Spanish friends have told me that it should be ok, no fine and if I get to the office first thing Monday, the water should be back on the same day.......

As for flushing the toilet Mercedes,......I'm going to fast from today till Monday!!!!!

Mary
Watch out, there are stories of a hosepipe ban south of Alicante, and that will mean bans on filling swimming pools due to a severe water shortage, we certainly have noticed a big drop in water pressure.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:21 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
maryg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Midlands/Murcia
Posts: 163
maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Watch out, there are stories of a hosepipe ban south of Alicante, and that will mean bans on filling swimming pools due to a severe water shortage, we certainly have noticed a big drop in water pressure.
We are in Murcia and there are strict measures here. We won't be emptying/refilling the pool next week.....we will wait till we move over permanantly and sort it out then with some descent pumps and skimmers......... 60,000 euro fine for a dip in the pool.:scared: nahhhhh we'll drive down to coast

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382000
maryg is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2006, 7:45 pm
  #10  
Not Junior but not Senior
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,052
poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Originally Posted by maryg
We are in Murcia and there are strict measures here. We won't be emptying/refilling the pool next week.....we will wait till we move over permanantly and sort it out then with some descent pumps and skimmers......... 60,000 euro fine for a dip in the pool.:scared: nahhhhh we'll drive down to coast

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382000
You can always flush the loo with the murky pool water !! We have a borehole and our pump wasn't up to filling the pool, so imported 5 wagons of water , 12000 litres at 84 euros a go. It had been half filled and was murky and green, but it's amazing how running the pump, a good clean, some flocculant and the right chemicals can work wonders. It is now crystal clear..
poollounger is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:52 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
maryg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Midlands/Murcia
Posts: 163
maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Originally Posted by poollounger
You can always flush the loo with the murky pool water !! We have a borehole and our pump wasn't up to filling the pool, so imported 5 wagons of water , 12000 litres at 84 euros a go. It had been half filled and was murky and green, but it's amazing how running the pump, a good clean, some flocculant and the right chemicals can work wonders. It is now crystal clear..
We are just off to the airport.......but I'll be coming to you for some advice when we get back! I know we need to clean the pool.....add chemicals....test the water....but could do with a step by step instruction list
hasta luego!
maryg is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:53 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 394
Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Originally Posted by maryg
We are in Murcia and there are strict measures here. We won't be emptying/refilling the pool next week.....we will wait till we move over permanantly and sort it out then with some descent pumps and skimmers......... 60,000 euro fine for a dip in the pool.:scared: nahhhhh we'll drive down to coast

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382000
Not that I am advocating irresponsible water use, but the proposals are not yet in force. Still time to put your house (pool) in order before they kick in, later this year.
Unexpat is offline  
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:32 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
maryg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Midlands/Murcia
Posts: 163
maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: Our water has been cut off!

Great news! We got the water reconnected .....easy peasy.
We went to the local Aqualia office first thing Monday monday morning and collected the bills.....took them to the bank and then took the reciept back to the office......a lovely man came around within the hour to reconnect the water supply.
The toal amount payable for 14 months of water.....including filling the pool and watering the olives last year.....the grand sum of 109 euros. Bargain!!!
The work on the house had come to a standstill because of the water supply and last week was fiesta....Bull Running every day, fireworks every day, general partying and fun everywhere every day......great stuff! Hopefully we can get things moving again now.....especially as we have sold our UK house yeahhhh!!!! Should have some firm dates to work around by the end of the week....:scared:
If anyone fancies coming over for next years celebrations give us a shout.
Mary
maryg is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.