Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Our visit visit to Northern Spain

Our visit visit to Northern Spain

Old Feb 5th 2019, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our visit visit to Northern Spain

Hi, I just wanted some advice on places to see and visit..it's been a long held dream to visit Northern Spain and we are doing so in late June this year (Plymouth to Santander) I have "googled" lots of places and all seem lovely..the only problem being we (my husband really lol) would also like to see a bit of Aquatain while we are in the "area" we have two weeks and this is a bit of a let's see which parts we enjoy then go back for a longer visit in the near future, so where would you say are the must see's in Northern Spain and any ideas of good places to stay...a lot to ask I know, but any help would be most appreciated. Many thanks
Old Feb 5th 2019, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

jontxu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our visit visit to Northern Spain

My favourites :

Basque Country ( Bilbao , San Sebastian and the french zone ) with lovely food and places to visit . More expensive than the rest of Spain . All the coast is fantastic and the mountains too

Asturias . Fantastic landscape . Oviedo and Gijón
Old Feb 5th 2019, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jontxu
My favourites :

Basque Country ( Bilbao , San Sebastian and the french zone ) with lovely food and places to visit . More expensive than the rest of Spain . All the coast is fantastic and the mountains too

Asturias . Fantastic landscape . Oviedo and Gijón
If you make it to San Sebastian not to far away is Burgos a former capital of Spain with a magnificent Cathedral a castle and beautiful town square.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you have time ( a long days drive) you can make it to Santiago De Compostela, the end of the pilgrim road. One of life's destinations. The center and the cathedral are the must see, although the town itself is uninspiring there are some good restaurants in the old quarter. The I would loved to have visited La Coruna because of historic links, but we heading south toward Portugal. And then a leisurely drive along the the most spectacular coast of Northern Spain. Plenty of beaches too and many coastal towns to find lodgings. Passed through Gijon to and from the ferry and wondered what it would be like to stopover. It has a magnificent Carrefour
Old Feb 6th 2019, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

jontxu is an unknown quantity at this point

Another magnificent Cathedral : Leon
Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Kayann is an unknown quantity at this point

Leon is a must. It has a lovely Parador. If you are arriving in Santander late in the day Santillana del Mar is an interesting place to visit. Or, great for a stroll and a coffee if you want a stop not too far from Santander. We also enjoyed our visit to Oviedo.