Reload this Page >

Our Family moving

Our Family moving

Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:06 am
Just Joined

pezza007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our Family moving

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bore you but I'll fill you in, Steph and I have been married for 5 years and have 2 girls 1 of which is a step daughter to me and the other is ours. We feel its unfair to ask our 9 year old (step daughter) to choose where she wants to be with her mum or dad so we have a 5 year plan!!!! We see our future in Spain being my Wife did a lot of holiday reping (spelling??) there and loves the life style and for myself I'd love a fresh start away from well basically the thuggish british lifestyle - you can't even get a drink without someone wanting a scrap. Most of all although there is nothing I can do for my step daughter as she is close to her father but I see better things for my daughter in somewhere such as Spain. We have a plan in place that we will be living in Spain in maybe 5 years and I have identified Mijas as a place we would love to ideally settle. Can anyone help? I know its a long way off but we need to be aware of the area, the financial state of spain, jobs, how much it costs to sell in uk and move? We really would appreciate any help
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our Family moving

Originally Posted by pezza007
Hi Guys,

Sorry to bore you but I'll fill you in, Steph and I have been married for 5 years and have 2 girls 1 of which is a step daughter to me and the other is ours. We feel its unfair to ask our 9 year old (step daughter) to choose where she wants to be with her mum or dad so we have a 5 year plan!!!! We see our future in Spain being my Wife did a lot of holiday reping (spelling??) there and loves the life style and for myself I'd love a fresh start away from well basically the thuggish british lifestyle - you can't even get a drink without someone wanting a scrap. Most of all although there is nothing I can do for my step daughter as she is close to her father but I see better things for my daughter in somewhere such as Spain. We have a plan in place that we will be living in Spain in maybe 5 years and I have identified Mijas as a place we would love to ideally settle. Can anyone help? I know its a long way off but we need to be aware of the area, the financial state of spain, jobs, how much it costs to sell in uk and move? We really would appreciate any help
I fully understand your desire for a better life here in Spain, but especially for families that need to work in order to have an income this is the worst possible time to make the move!

Do you speak Spanish.....if you don't it will be almost impossible to find employment. There is 20% unemployment here, in some areas it's closer to 40% of young people.

While I don't wish to sound negative, it needs careful thinking and planning and also a large emergency fund (at the very least a years wages) to tide you over should things not work out.
The best option is to visit and see what the chances are of employment in your chosen field, also think about renting instead of selling your house in the UK, that way you have the option of returning should things go wrong.

It's also much different living here than it is on holiday or even as a holiday rep, it's not all fun and games and there is much bureaucracy to deal with.
It's no longer a cheap pace to live either, food prices are more or less the same as the UK.
Other things like the cost of private health care (you won't get it free unless you pay into Social Security), and having to pay for school books or even paying for a place in an International School for your child all have to be factored in.

Good luck with it, but in my honest opinion it's not a good time for a move.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:35 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:58 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I fully understand your desire for a better life here in Spain, but especially for families that need to work in order to have an income this is the worst possible time to make the move!

Do you speak Spanish.....if you don't it will be almost impossible to find employment. There is 20% unemployment here, in some areas it's closer to 40% of young people.

While I don't wish to sound negative, it needs careful thinking and planning and also a large emergency fund (at the very least a years wages) to tide you over should things not work out.
The best option is to visit and see what the chances are of employment in your chosen field, also think about renting instead of selling your house in the UK, that way you have the option of returning should things go wrong.

It's also much different living here than it is on holiday or even as a holiday rep, it's not all fun and games and there is much bureaucracy to deal with.
It's no longer a cheap pace to live either, food prices are more or less the same as the UK.
Other things like the cost of private health care (you won't get it free unless you pay into Social Security), and having to pay for school books or even paying for a place in an International School for your child all have to be factored in.

Good luck with it, but in my honest opinion it's not a good time for a move.
yes, that's all absolutely true - Spain is in a dreadful state right now - but in 5 years, who knows??? Things might be worse - fingers crossed they are better

Originally Posted by pezza007
Hi Guys,

a 5 year plan sounds good to me - it took us longer than that from decision to move, with a couple of diversions on the way!!

firstly - learn Spanish - in 5 years you should be able to have a good go at it

you don't say what you do - but over the next 5 years try to establish a business which can be transported easily & won't rely on Spain or Brits in Spain to provide your living

we've been here nearly 8 years & none of the people we first met are still here - & the only people we know who are surviving (doing well if they are really lucky) are those who have internet based businesses or one of the parents works in another country - I can count on one hand those who have a livable income actually from Spain

that's actually the same advice I'd give in boom time

how old is your younger child? If when you arrive she is under 9/10 years old she should be OK in Spanish state school - any older & she'd struggle (unless her Spanish is really good by then), so you'd need to factor in private school fees

no doubt others will have more advice

good luck!
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

My advice. Come back on here in 4 years and ask the same.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:50 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
My advice. Come back on here in 4 years and ask the same.

...and...as has been advised above, spend those intervening years learning Spanish and creating a portable business.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:33 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

When I was younger I always thought one year here would be ample time to get a job and adjusted, How wrong I have been.

I had to wait until I retired.

In my village alone three young families have had no option but to return home to the UK due to lack of work and therefore funds, they were gutted as the schools for one thing have been brilliant for their kiddies.

You never know you might strike lucky but it doesn't look good. If you can afford to take the chance I would say go for it, but please look at, and be prepared for the worse case scenario.

I wish you well and hope you manage it, I spent most of my life trying to get here, so I know full well what it's like dreaming, it's just the money that holds us all back.