Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Organic living in Spain

Organic living in Spain

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Organic living in Spain

Originally Posted by bil
100% correct. Style over substance is for idiots. People with brains who can't afford the luxury of paying over the odds for organic will choose food that is of better quality that doesn't break the bank.
Originally Posted by bil
Sorry Fiona, not really useful.

1. snail killing. with some 2,000 sq metres intensively planted with trees, soft fruits, veg and flowers, I'd need hundreds of buckets, eggshells by the kilo and a river of beer. The dog would go mental if he thought I was using his beer ration for snails.

I would be deeply impressed if you can find a non chemical treatment for leafminer, woolly aphid and the like. DEEPLY impressed.

Strimming, don't like it, as weeds propagate nicely when cut. Mostly the whole garden is hand weeded, there are just a few areas which would be beyond me. As for goats, please, I wouldn't have a flower left. Same goes for chickens.

Using as little as possible isn't a start, it's a realistic approach. There's a level of use that it is effectively impossible to reduce if you wish to still grow eatable produce.
I think this is one of those agree to disagree moments. Have never used, and don't plan to, any shopbought mainstream chemicals in any garden I've ever had & still used to get (not here, irrigation not on stream yet!) plenty to feed the family. I'll recycle the style over substance being for idiots quote some other time - branding, packaging, not sure yet.
(btw I guess a lot depends on your gardening style too.... we've got 5,000sqm; mostly just very steep 'land' with no more than 10 fairly small walled beds plus the veg plots on terraces; the beds I weed by hand. The veg plots I cultivate by hand. The rest I strim or Juan's goats deal with.)
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fionamw
I think this is one of those agree to disagree moments. Have never used, and don't plan to, any shopbought mainstream chemicals in any garden I've ever had & still used to get (not here, irrigation not on stream yet!) plenty to feed the family.)
So, at the present time, you are succesfully able to grow your own fruits and vegetables in Spain?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 11:53 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
So, at the present time, you are succesfully able to grow your own fruits and vegetables in Spain?
I do, I grow tomatoes. (Not many, cats keep pinching them)
Planted a seed squozen from a fat tomatoe. (All the tomatoes in the bag were fat, but no fatter than any other). Then watered it and let it grow, hey presto with the help of the sun and my water, I got some lovely tom toms.. If it wasn't an organic tomatoe that I got the seed from. is my new tomatoe organic because it hasn't been pestified? Or is it still classed as a dirty rotter..??
I have tried in the uk but I was even less succesful. Spain one nil up on this to me..
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Of course.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:48 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I think this is one of those agree to disagree moments. Have never used, and don't plan to, any shopbought mainstream chemicals in any garden I've ever had & still used to get (not here, irrigation not on stream yet!) plenty to feed the family. I'll recycle the style over substance being for idiots quote some other time - branding, packaging, not sure yet.
(btw I guess a lot depends on your gardening style too.... we've got 5,000sqm; mostly just very steep 'land' with no more than 10 fairly small walled beds plus the veg plots on terraces; the beds I weed by hand. The veg plots I cultivate by hand. The rest I strim or Juan's goats deal with.)
Well, like I say, most of the weeds we deal with by hand, and a lot of the problems with the orange trees can be solved by ensuring they are religiously pruned so there are no crossing branches or little nooks and crannies where the pests hide and breed. Trouble is, like Matt says about the cattle, there comes a time when chemicals are a valid choice. If of course they are your last choice rather than the first as they are with some people, then you have the advantage that they work much better, so you need them less often and in smaller quantities.

Collecting the snails for food isn't much use as the bulk are small conical ones rather than the eating ones.

It's all very well being a purist, but to be honest I think that as with most things a sensible course between the extremes is the best bet.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

laulah is an unknown quantity at this point

At least here in Barcelona we have quite a strong representation of different diets - you can find organic food shops, organic restaurants and even organic fast food

I guess it is nowadays better in all bigger cities.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:44 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laulah
At least here in Barcelona we have quite a strong representation of different diets - you can find organic food shops, organic restaurants and even organic fast food

I guess it is nowadays better in all bigger cities.
I think it's the usual thing. No-one can afford to supply a need unless the population is big enough to support the business.