Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Organic living in Spain

Organic living in Spain

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:25 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Organic living in Spain

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I believe it - the British farmers rake it in too. I once worked as a temp in a Defra office, and it was staggering to see the money paid out to farmers for x, y, and z. They were even paid then to grow nothing - I believe it was called "set-aside".
The same DEFRA/RPA office that wasted millions of pounds during the recession?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
As for organic, well, I have never quite understood the desperate urge to pay twice the cost for a pretty similar product.
Seemingly organic food sales went down about 30% last year in UK. With the recession I guess a drop is to be expected, but that can't account for that large a drop. There have been various reports about organic food being no better for you, that has probably had a bigger effect on sales.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:04 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The same DEFRA/RPA office that wasted millions of pounds during the recession?
You are no doubt referring to the Dept of Eggheads Fools and Right Assholes,which succeeded MAFF.
I can just about remember long before its demise, when MAFF was to a large extent quite a useful organisation, with a much better understanding of the practical side of farming and its problems.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Really? I rented a room off a friend who happens to be a farmer. He grows wheat for thatching, and some beans and stuff.

Were it not for the fact that his thatching straw fetches a premium payment, and the wheat itself is a by product, he would have given it up as a bad business years ago. He's a small farmer and the profit margins on wheat etc for a farmer like him are miniscule. To get the grants requires a lot of paperwork and dealing with some right numpties at times.

There may be some farmers making a fortune, but it ain't the little guys.

One of my customers reared pigs, and he reckoned that the supermarket got far more money out of his pigs than he ever did.
Absolutley, the money rarley filters down to the small farmer , most of the fruit farmers on the Costa Tropical can only afford to run a 50 quid moped and live in extreme poverty, I think the money is robbed by the fruit dealers all who have new Mercs and Land Rovers and bloody great warehouses that get bigger every year.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I think the money is robbed by the fruit dealers all who have new Mercs and Land Rovers and bloody great warehouses that get bigger every year.
Programme here that explores that topic, the price of tomatoes for example, from farmer to point of sale can increase by 500%
http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/...actualidad&s4=
I think our farmer friend could give us the exact details, but the number of milk producers in UK is dropping every week, they get something like 24p (?) for milk that sells for 70 odd pence.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:29 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Absolutley, the money rarley filters down to the small farmer , most of the fruit farmers on the Costa Tropical can only afford to run a 50 quid moped and live in extreme poverty, I think the money is robbed by the fruit dealers all who have new Mercs and Land Rovers and bloody great warehouses that get bigger every year.
Quite so,many big organisations have jumped in over recent years,bought large tracts of fairly unproductive land,taken up every available grant to completely transform it, with little cost to themselves and regardless of what profits are made from fruit production they have probably doubled the value of their investment almost cost free.
A nice little earner, courtesy of EU taxpayers.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Seemingly organic food sales went down about 30% last year in UK. With the recession I guess a drop is to be expected, but that can't account for that large a drop. There have been various reports about organic food being no better for you, that has probably had a bigger effect on sales.
Statistics & research being what they are (and sometimes funded the way they are) there's no point arguing that... it's a bit nimby though, because I've always thought it's equally important to consider the effect of herbicides, pesticides (& all the other wondrous gloop that's sprayed on mass market foodstuffs) on the soil, plants, trees, insects, etc., & total food chain - every bit as important as considering whether an organic egg tastes better for the price.

btw do I pretend I buy all organic? No. But I'd rather grow nothing than surround my house, child, pets etc., with chemicals so anything I grow is done organically.

Last edited by fionamw; Mar 22nd 2010 at 11:14 am. Reason: further thought!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:40 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Statistics & research being what they are (and sometimes funded the way they are) there's no point arguing that... it's a bit nimby though, because I've always thought it's equally important to consider the effect of herbicides, pesticides (& all the other wondrous gloop that's sprayed on mass market foodstuffs) on the soil, plants, trees, insects, etc., & total food chain - every bit as important as considering whether an organic egg tastes better for the price.

btw do I pretend I buy all organic? No. But I'd rather grow nothing than surround my house, child, pets etc., with chemicals so anything I grow is done organically.
Well, I would be hard pressed to grow anything here without some chems. How would I keep the snails off? I put out some marigolds, the damn things were 8" high, and in the morning all that was left were stumps. A couple of kilos of snail pellets, and the death toll was amazing. I had no idea that the garden could hold that many snails!

Then there's the leaf miners on the orange trees..... the weeds in the hard to reach places. I can't rotivate the orchard as it will kill the amphisphenids that live in the soil.

The trick is to use as little as possible.

Personally I think that the organic craze is a way of displaying wealth ostentatiously, and showing how special you are.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
As for organic, well, I have never quite understood the desperate urge to pay twice the cost for a pretty similar product.
You might have heard of a little thing called Mad Cow Disease?

A British inquiry into BSE concluded that the epidemic was caused by cattle, who are normally herbivores, being fed the remains of other cattle in the form of meat and bone meal (MBM), which caused the infectious agent to spread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_...encephalopathy

Organic cattle feed on grass.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Personally I think that the organic craze is a way of displaying wealth ostentatiously, and showing how special you are.
I kind of agree with this

But I also agree that the majority of food we are sold has been bred and grown to make sure it is cheap to produce, rather than to make sure it is high quality and tastes nice.

So I take a pragmatic approach e.g. for eggs I make sure they are corn fed and if possible free range (at least straw bedded), but I dont care about the organic bit. Sometimes moderate use of chemicals is for the good.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Agriculture Minister Michelle Gildernew found out on RTE news about animal feed contamination which led to a major cull, an assembly committee has heard.

Thousands of cattle were culled because of dioxin contamination in December 2008, at a cost of more than £4m.

It affected pig and cattle herds north and south of the Irish border and caused a major recall of pork products.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/8567267.stm

London - A clear link between the use of antibiotics in animal feed and the emergence of "superbugs" in hospitals has been established for the first time. Doctors have repeatedly warned of the danger, but proving it has been more difficult. The emergence of antibiotic-resistant strains of common bacteria is often blamed on excessive use of antibiotics in medicine, rather than in animal feedstuffs.
http://www.mindfully.org/Farm/Antibi...bug24mar98.htm

Last edited by AdrianTO; Mar 22nd 2010 at 4:13 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

With all the will in the world farming naturally and organically is very hard and there is a point where an animal needs to have some sort of chemical. My point always being sheep. To keep the blowflies off sheep you have to either spray them or keep them sheared... not practical in real terms at all.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, I would be hard pressed to grow anything here without some chems. How would I keep the snails off? Salt, broken up egg shells, beer in a saucer, can't be arsed to get my book to find more....() I put out some marigolds, the damn things were 8" high, and in the morning all that was left were stumps. A couple of kilos of snail pellets, and the death toll was amazing. I had no idea that the garden could hold that many snails! Given my neighbour's predilection for caracoles I think I'd rather put out a bucket or something else upside down for them to swarm under then get them over to Jose's for that night's supper!

Then there's the leaf miners on the orange trees.... haven't got book to hand the weeds in the hard to reach places. Let 'em flower then you can tell everyone they're there on purpose I can't rotivate the orchard as it will kill the amphisphenids that live in the soil. Strimming pollutes but is a compromise.... or there are always your neighbour's goats

The trick is to use as little as possible. Well that's a start!

!!!!!!!!!!! If something's been going 40-odd years or more, with increasing numbers involved - let's ignore the supermarket issue for a moment - I'd hardly call it a craze. As to ostentation, maybe among the Chelsea tractor set.

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
With all the will in the world farming naturally and organically is very hard and there is a point where an animal needs to have some sort of chemical. My point always being sheep. To keep the blowflies off sheep you have to either spray them or keep them sheared... not practical in real terms at all.
Unfortunately there's probably truth in this, though I guess someone somewhere knows how it's done & is prepared for the hassle of doing it.
Anyway, soap box is put away for the night. Have painting & wine drinking to do (the success of the first depends on limiting the second)
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:54 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I kind of agree with this

But I also agree that the majority of food we are sold has been bred and grown to make sure it is cheap to produce, rather than to make sure it is high quality and tastes nice.

So I take a pragmatic approach e.g. for eggs I make sure they are corn fed and if possible free range (at least straw bedded), but I dont care about the organic bit. Sometimes moderate use of chemicals is for the good.
100% correct. Style over substance is for idiots. People with brains who can't afford the luxury of paying over the odds for organic will choose food that is of better quality that doesn't break the bank.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:03 pm
bil
Banned

Sorry Fiona, not really useful.

1. snail killing. with some 2,000 sq metres intensively planted with trees, soft fruits, veg and flowers, I'd need hundreds of buckets, eggshells by the kilo and a river of beer. The dog would go mental if he thought I was using his beer ration for snails.

I would be deeply impressed if you can find a non chemical treatment for leafminer, woolly aphid and the like. DEEPLY impressed.

Strimming, don't like it, as weeds propagate nicely when cut. Mostly the whole garden is hand weeded, there are just a few areas which would be beyond me. As for goats, please, I wouldn't have a flower left. Same goes for chickens.

Using as little as possible isn't a start, it's a realistic approach. There's a level of use that it is effectively impossible to reduce if you wish to still grow eatable produce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.