Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Options For British TV In Southern Spain

Options For British TV In Southern Spain

Old May 15th 2004, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

graveyardie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Options For British TV In Southern Spain

Hi. My wife and I have purchased a second home just north of Marbella and are going about the business of installing all the home comforts.

I appreciate that perhaps moving to Spain and watching British TV kind of defeats the point of emersing yourself in another culture but it would still be nice to have the option.

To that end, I was wondering whether anyone could advise on what options are available for watching British TV in or around Marbella?

I assume its a case of getting a large enough dish and connecting a Sky box? However, I've looked in the local English newspapers at the ads relating to installing Sky and/or BBC and I don't want to get stung by a cowboy and end up with a grainy reception and a signal that conks out after a month.

I've looked on the Forum and the Web for FAQs and advice but am struggling to find anything for the area.

Any help/advice gladly received.

Tx
Old May 15th 2004, 5:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Besides sky there is a cable system in some areas "a lot cheaper", the best way is to ask your neighbors how and where they get theirs from.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

You can get a complete system installed with a 1,20m dish and a new Pace receiver for a total of €525 or €725 for Sky Plus.

This includes obtaining an official Sky viewing card registered in your own UK address (or that of a friend) for which you pay the monthly subscription for whichever package you decide upon.
Old May 21st 2004, 9:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Beachcomber
You can get a complete system installed with a 1,20m dish and a new Pace receiver for a total of €525 or €725 for Sky Plus.

This includes obtaining an official Sky viewing card registered in your own UK address (or that of a friend) for which you pay the monthly subscription for whichever package you decide upon.
Official...???
Sky cards are only supposed to be used in the UK, but there are probably more in Spain than UK...
Old May 21st 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I said the card was official which it is. Using it outside of the UK doesn't make it unofficial it just breaches the terms and conditions of the contract with Sky.

Last edited by Beachcomber; May 21st 2004 at 10:19 pm.