Oposiciones

Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oposiciones

Could anyone please explain what are and how does one go about sitting "oposiciones"?( I am guessing these are types of entry exams?)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oposiciones

Exams to enter public service jobs

This site provides some information.

http://oposiciones.universia.es/ - gives useful info rather than just advertising preparation courses. It even has a section for Extranjeros.

They're not easy to pass, even for natives.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hi rachelk,
Thanks! I did google that site, and had a quick scurry around it, but, doh! didn't see the "extranjeros" link. I tried to enter keywords in the search, but came up with entries for 2006 etc.
However, now, a tiny bit more informed, I have gathered that EU citizens can apply as "opositors" within their area of expertise in the public sector, albeit competing with Spanish "opositors" who will have the edge with the language.
Has anyone applied for a job in the public sector in Spain, and, having been successful in obtaining such employment, has had to go on to gain "oposiciones"? Do they study/work at it through a "concurso/oposicion" system? Is this the same as an apprenticeship, or work experience?
Why am I asking these questions? Well, I have wondered if that is a reason why some ex-pats choose self-employment? Or perhaps why they consider opening/managing their own*nursing services, baby creches, or day care facilities (*private) in Spain? Would they not need to have a level of expertise to run such places on a par with the Spanish authorities?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Extranjeros is in the menu at the left.

Can't answer any of the other questions having never tried it myself - but there are many many Academias which seem to exist solely by providing help to those preparing for oposiciones which suggests that lots of people go for them and that lots of those people need lots of help.

If you look in any big book store you'll see big books for preparation for some of these - might give you an idea of the kind of thing required. Else get in touch ith one of the colleges near you who offer such courses.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

spanishfamily is on a distinguished road

I remember seeing a survey not long ago that showed that the majority of Spanish young people hoped to get some kind of job in the civil service after leaving university. Its still seen as the best kind of job to have so no wonder these exams are so competitive!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rachelk
Extranjeros is in the menu at the left...
Ta! I'm not that much of a numpty, well, only a little bit (because I didn't clearly word my previous post.)

Originally Posted by spanishfamily
I remember seeing a survey not long ago that showed that the majority of Spanish young people hoped to get some kind of job in the civil service after leaving university. Its still seen as the best kind of job to have so no wonder these exams are so competitive!
So, a university degree is not necessarily a guaranteed job winner?
From looking at the website, it appears that certain jobs can only be held by spanish nationals (eg. armed forces, civil service, etc. same as in the UK). By public sector "oposiciones", this includes, amongst many other occupations, Health, Forestry, and Lifeguards.
I guess what I'm trying to do is to understand how the NVQ (as an example) can be translated/transferred to the spanish system. Someone (lcortez) posted on another thread that it (NVQ) is recognised in Spain. However, I am assuming more proof of knowledge/expertise is via these "oposiciones".
OK, enough already!

Last edited by Carol&John; Jan 29th 2008 at 4:08 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Carol&John

So, a university degree is not necessarily a guaranteed job winner?
As if!

If you're looking for how to "transfer" your qualifications, try searching for Convalidación.