Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening a UK Bank Account

Opening a UK Bank Account

Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a UK Bank Account

Originally Posted by JulianWard
Sorry but I did post this:-

Repeat post:-

I just called Lloyd's TBS on 01733 347 007.

Only people Resident in UK can open accounts in UK.

Is there any ambiguity there?
I get on a plane arrive in the UK have a house in the UK go to Lloyds show my passport and give my address, then presumably I get a bank account. I am looking to stay permanently but then I have to leave a fortnight later for reasons beyond my control.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:06 am
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
It was discredited by the vast majority of the population and quickly dropped as a wholly disgraceful idea, nothing to do with what it was called.

It seems to me that the rules and regs on opening accounts vary from bank to bank, as everyone seems to have a different experience.
It's getting like Spain
Don't wanna continue off thread so no comment on the tax.

As for the Banking.

It would seem that Barclay's and Lloyds TSB say the same on the phone as they do on their web sites, No apparent conflict. That policy is the same with Norwich, Peterborough and Nationwide and Leeds and maybe other banks/Societies.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:09 am
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I get on a plane arrive in the UK have a house in the UK go to Lloyds show my passport and give my address, then presumably I get a bank account. I am looking to stay permanently but then I have to leave a fortnight later for reasons beyond my control.

Now you are moving the goal posts.

I suggested a similar course, in another thread, for a person of 70 yrs who's D/L had expired. Thus they could not renew it in UK as they lived here and could not change it here as it had expired. Always a way around things, so long as one is careful about the 'lies' they tell !
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I just called Barclay's in UK on +44 24 7684 2100

They said Only those RESIDENT in UK can open an account in the UK.

They did say I could open an OFF SHORE account either in Gib or maybe in their Knightsbridge branch which deals off shore enquires.

Again: This does not appear to be ambiguous
Well I guess you did not ask the exact right question because I have opened an account with them, and it`s not an offshore one!

Maybe I got it because I have a business account with them or maybe its because the call centre op did not have a clue, not unusual.

I can only pass on what Ive experienced so as the help the original poster.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rotor
Well I guess you did not ask the exact right question because I have opened an account with them, and it`s not an offshore one!

Maybe I got it because I have a business account with them or maybe its because the call centre op did not have a clue, not unusual.

I can only pass on what Ive experienced so as the help the original poster.
I accept you may be right and the banks are wrong.

I got issued with a credit card once when I asked my branch in the UK when I was there on holiday. Unfortunately before I could verify/authenticate it, the bank cancelled it as they discovered in their records that I was not still resident in UK.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

But you don´t need to prove it at Lloyds, the only proof required is your passport.
But if it is a UK passport they will ask for more proof as their bumf says if you are moving to the UK, by that they mean a foreign passport or ID card or a visiting students card.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
But if it is a UK passport they will ask for more proof as their bumf says if you are moving to the UK, by that they mean a foreign passport or ID card or a visiting students card.
No they don´t. They just ask for a passport they do not say that a UK passport is invalid.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:41 am
Banned

No they don´t. They just ask for a passport they do not say that a UK passport is invalid.
OK but how do you get over :-

I just called Lloyd's TBS on 01733 347 007.

Only people Resident in UK can open accounts in UK.

Is there any ambiguity there?
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:53 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I didn`t say a UK passport was invalid, I said if you produced one then they would require more proof that you were living there.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
I didn`t say a UK passport was invalid, I said if you produced one then they would require more proof that you were living there.
Quite right JDR.

I got an idea.

You guys who think the rest of us are wrong, as you have successfully opened account in UK whilst you were not residents there, why don't you call the banks, give them your account numbers and tell them you were not resident when you opened the accounts. Then get back to us tell us if you still have the accounts.

I mean what have you got to loose, if you are right.

(PS I don't really expect you to do that of course)
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
Then why doesn´t it say that? No other bank says that. As for trying to open one, slightly pointless in my case as I already hold accounts with them.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Don't wanna continue off thread so no comment on the tax.

As for the Banking.

It would seem that Barclay's and Lloyds TSB say the same on the phone as they do on their web sites, No apparent conflict. That policy is the same with Norwich, Peterborough and Nationwide and Leeds and maybe other banks/Societies.
Don't make off thread political comments, then we'll all stay on topic

As for banking.

It is clear from this thread that, like life, theory and practice don't always come from the same tree.
WHY this situation exists no one knows but the fact of the matter is that it does, it all comes down to which one you are confronted with at the time, theory or practice.
It's not a case of right or wrong.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Quite right JDR.

I got an idea.

You guys who think the rest of us are wrong, as you have successfully opened account in UK whilst you were not residents there, why don't you call the banks, give them your account numbers and tell them you were not resident when you opened the accounts. Then get back to us tell us if you still have the accounts.

I mean what have you got to loose, if you are right.

(PS I don't really expect you to do that of course)
Ive better things to do but I can say that I have always recieved statements at a Spanish address from day one.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Then why doesn´t it say that? No other bank says that. As for trying to open one, slightly pointless in my case as I already hold accounts with them.
The crucial words are "If you are moving to the UK"
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
The crucial words are "If you are moving to the UK"
I had an account with the Halifax in the UK while I lived in Spain, changing address details was a real pain, they would do it, but the number of items of proof needed to do it by post was stupid, so I just waited till I went over to the UK, took my passport and a Spanish utility bill, and had the address changed, no problems. Never tried to open an account though,
When I moved back, just had to take my passport and rental contract to change back to UK address.
My wife banked with HSBC, and she was able to change all details on-line, even non UK address. but this was an existing account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.