Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening a UK Bank Account

Opening a UK Bank Account

Old Apr 18th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a UK Bank Account

I`d guess the rules are different for UK citizens/passport holders as oppossed to foriengers visiting or moving to the UK.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:03 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rotor
I`d guess the rules are different for UK citizens/passport holders as opposed to foreigners visiting or moving to the UK.
The difference is:- if one is taking up residence in UK then you can open an account. If you are not, you cannot.

That is:- one must be resident in UK, not just have an 'address' or property there.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulianWard
The difference is:- if one is taking up residence in UK then you can open an account. If you are not, you cannot.

That is:- one must be resident in UK, not just have an 'address' or property there.
That`s the impression I got when they refused my application cos I didn`t have an up to date utility bill in my name.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:29 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Excuse me repeating this but as we have just gone to the next page it may be missed.

If anyone thinks I misunderstood what the bank said, I'd be grateful if they would call the bank and then explain what I got wrong.

Thanks.

Repeat post:-

I just called Lloyd's TBS on 01733 347 007.

Only people Resident in UK can open accounts in UK.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

explain resident in the context of this thread.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
explain resident in the context of this thread.
I take it mean :

1. One who resides in a particular place permanently or for an extended period

Please tell me if you have called the bank and if they define it in a substantially different / special / unconventional way.

(OR are you just pulling my leg)

Last edited by JulianWard; Apr 18th 2011 at 12:51 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 1:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I take it mean :

1. One who resides in a particular place permanently or for an extended period

Please tell me if you have called the bank and if they define it in a substantially different / special / unconventional way.

(OR are you just pulling my leg)

... and are on the electoral role and pay poll tax there? Two very good ways of checking that you are resident there.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... and are on the electoral role and pay poll tax there? Two very good ways of checking that you are resident there.
If you are new to the UK it is unlikely that you will be on the electoral roll also you do not necessarily have to pay "poll" tax (is it called poll tax anymore?)

All they want is your passport and a UK address there is no mention that you have to give any proof of the latter.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
If you are new to the UK it is unlikely that you will be on the electoral roll also you do not necessarily have to pay "poll" tax (is it called poll tax anymore?)
If you mean the tax brought in, in the 80's by Margaret Thatcher, it was Community Charge, not Poll Tax. That was a Left Wing slur to discredit it

(sorry for following the off thread line)

Last edited by JulianWard; Apr 18th 2011 at 2:25 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:25 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I was just trying to show how one should be able to prove that one is resident in UK - it is no longer simply down to having a UK address!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I was just trying to show how one should be able to prove that one is resident in UK - it is no longer simply down to having a UK address!
But you don´t need to prove it at Lloyds, the only proof required is your passport.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

But you don´t need to prove it at Lloyds, the only proof required is your passport.
Same with Barclays ,I`ve just done it ! guess it may make a difference depending on how much you are going to deposit ,banks want your money and what they dont want is to expose themselves to risk by a non resident who is a credit risk.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:47 pm
Banned

Sorry but I did post this:-

Is there any ambiguity there?
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rotor
Same with Barclays ,I`ve just done it ! guess it may make a difference depending on how much you are going to deposit ,banks want your money and what they dont want is to expose themselves to risk by a non resident who is a credit risk.
I just called Barclay's in UK on +44 24 7684 2100

They said Only those RESIDENT in UK can open an account in the UK.

They did say I could open an OFF SHORE account either in Gib or maybe in their Knightsbridge branch which deals off shore enquires.

Again: This does not appear to be ambiguous
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean the tax brought in, in the 80's by Margaret Thatcher, it was Community Charge, not Poll Tax. That was a Left Wing slur to discredit it
It was discredited by the vast majority of the population and quickly dropped as a wholly disgraceful idea, nothing to do with what it was called.

It seems to me that the rules and regs on opening accounts vary from bank to bank, as everyone seems to have a different experience.
It's getting like Spain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.