Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening a UK Bank Account

Opening a UK Bank Account

Old Apr 17th 2011, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Opening a UK Bank Account

Originally Posted by JulianWard
But I guess if you are not new to the country then one would need to lie/make a false statement to obtain the account = Fraud ?

And "passport and ID card" I believe only immigrants to UK have an ID card.
I have one.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:07 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Opening a UK Bank Account

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
NW stopped cash withdrawls abroad on cash cards last year. You still could if you had a visa, I applied for a visa card but was turned down due to not being on the electoral register although we still have a property address.
Changed to Halifax, got visa card no prob, get commission free cash withdrawls.
All a bit of a mystery.
According to an exchange of emails I had with NW's CEO, it is not a matter of a UK address but where you are resident. If that is not in UK whilst you can keep and operate any accounts you have (excluding ISA's) you cannot open new accounts nor get additional debit/credit cards.

That does not apply of course to Nationwide International.

Do the Halifax open new accounts if one tells them that whilst owning a property, or having an 'address' in UK one is not resident there ?

Last edited by JulianWard; Apr 17th 2011 at 12:15 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Do the Halifax open new accounts if one tells them that whilst owning a property, or having an 'address' in UK one is not resident there ?
Sorry for confusion, that is for an existing account.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I opened an business account with Santander last year and they didnt seem to care that I wasnt a UK resident.
Me as well but with Barclays , just taken ID and certifcate of incorporation to Gib branch ,job done
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:38 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rotor
Me as well but with Barclays , just taken ID and certifcate of incorporation to Gib branch ,job done
Gib is off-shore, they (all I guess) open accounts for non residents, if the didn't they would not have a reason to exist.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Gib is off-shore, they (all I guess) open accounts for non residents, if the didn't they would not have a reason to exist.
No, this business account is at a UK branch but I used Gib as its closer and quicker for me to visit ,they needed their staff to eyeball me to confirm I was who I said I was ,then taken photo copies of the cert of incoporation and VAT cert etc.very very easy .recieved debit card and cheque books both euro and GBP in ten days
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:56 pm
Banned

No, this business account is at a UK branch but I used Gib as its closer and quicker for me to visit ,they needed their staff to eyeball me to confirm I was who I said I was ,then taken photo copies of the cert of incoporation and VAT cert etc.very very easy .recieved debit card and cheque books both euro and GBP in ten days
But, as I said, they do open private accounts too, as Gib is off shore. That applies also to the branches of UK banks and building societies there (Leeds, Norwich and Peterborough, Newcastle, Barclays etc)
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

But, as I said, they do open private accounts too, as Gib is off shore. That applies also to the branches of UK banks and building societies there (Leeds, Norwich and Peterborough, Newcastle, Barclays etc)
You can also open off shore accounts on the UK mainland as well , so what ?
Its just that Gib has different tax laws, ie Cat 2 taxation ,very nice for those who qualify ,so they have to have an office there.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:25 am
Banned

You can also open off shore accounts on the UK mainland as well , so what ?
Its just that Gib has different tax laws, ie Cat 2 taxation ,very nice for those who qualify ,so they have to have an office there.
Sorry Rotor. There seems to be a bit of confusion. I thought we were discussing whether people not resident in UK could open bank account in UK ?

i.e. Re: Opening a UK Bank Account
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rotor. There seems to be a bit of confusion. I thought we were discussing whether people not resident in UK could open bank account in UK ?

i.e. Re: Opening a UK Bank Account
OK Gibraltar is not in the UK but you can open a Sterling account there with a UK branded bank that will give you a Sort code
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
OK Gibraltar is not in the UK but you can open a Sterling account there with a UK branded bank that will give you a Sort code
Thanks Fred, I have had and still have several Gib accounts, but:-

Thread opener:- Just thought this information may be of interest. When in the UK I picked up a leaflet from Lloyds TSB which said if you are new to the UK you could open up a bank account with them with nothing more than your passport. No other ID needed, so if you have a UK address this might be helpful.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fred, I have had and still have several Gib accounts, but:-

Thread opener:- Just thought this information may be of interest. When in the UK I picked up a leaflet from Lloyds TSB which said if you are new to the UK you could open up a bank account with them with nothing more than your passport. No other ID needed, so if you have a UK address this might be helpful.
Just been to the Lloyds TSB site, this is what it says.

New to the UK

If you’re thinking of coming to the UK or have already moved here, welcome!
We have a wide range of products and services to cater for your needs. We also have useful information that will help you get settled in the UK, whether you’re planning to come here to live and work, or as an international
student.

Overview

Why Lloyds TSB?

Our bank accounts

Apply

Overview

It’s simple to open an account with us. Normally all you need is your passport or ID card.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry Rotor. There seems to be a bit of confusion. I thought we were discussing whether people not resident in UK could open bank account in UK ? i.e. Re: Opening a UK Bank Account
Yes we are and yes you can ,as I explained I happened to open mine in Gibraltar ,as many expats live closer to Gib than the main land Uk it could save them a lot of time and money, you started going on about Gib banks only existing for offshore accounts which is not correct ,they are there for many other services as well.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just been to the Lloyds TSB site, this is what it says.New to the UK If you’re thinking of coming to the UK or have already moved here, welcome! We have a wide range of products and services to cater for your needs. We also have useful information that will help you get settled in the UK, whether you’re planning to come here to live and work, or as an international student.It’s simple to open an account with us. Normally all you need is your passport or ID card.

There are also well positioned leaflets in the branches as well and have been so for several years.

However, some regular poster will say they are not, one cannot, its a lie blah blah.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 11:52 am
Banned

Not sure how this help or otherwise.

I just called Lloyd's TBS on 01733 347 007.

Only people Resident in UK can open accounts in UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.