Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening a small business in Majorca (or other Balearic Island)

Opening a small business in Majorca (or other Balearic Island)

Old Aug 30th 2016, 8:59 am
Just Joined

jayjep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a small business in Majorca (or other Balearic Island)

Hi guys, after some advice here.

For months now I've been looking around online and have found some helpful links on this subject but I'm wondering if anyone on here has actually been through the process of opening a small business in Majorca (or Spain in general) themselves and can share any advice or suggestions.

A bit of background: my partner and I have been looking to open a small business for sometime. We've researched a few locations in Southern Europe (we love the climate and cultures) and Majorca is one of the 'final two' we're pondering. At the moment, the business is just an idea. I say 'just an idea' but it is something my partner has previously done successfully (albeit in Australia) and wants to do again. (Who wouldn't want to be their own boss?) A bit of extra info: my partner is 30 and I'm 28 and we've both previously lived the expat life so we know the sacrifices/compromises to be made. There's a lot of threads about retirees in Spain generally but surely 1) there's something for the young'uns and 2) business/investment opportunities for the young? (I realise the southern Eurozone isn't exactly in a boom time right now but it is beginning its arduous recovery.)

So, down to some specifics: how easy or difficult is it to open a small business in Majorca (or Spain in general)? Is there much assistance as in the UK? For clarification, the business would be a bakery-cum-cafe. As previously mentioned, it's not an existing business and we probably wouldn't have enough capital to buy an existing business. We'd prefer somewhere that has its fair share of tourists but perhaps a little more... Upmarket than, say, Benidorm. Obviously we'd be looking to live out there as well. Port de Polença seems a nice area but at this point we're completely open to suggestions (we're only in the earliest of stages right now). No kids, no pets so no worries about needing to accommodate for those things. Also, I'm conversational in Spanish (I realise they speak Catalan but Spanish offend locals?).

Any help and advice will be much appreciated; more so if it's from someone with experience in doing this themselves. I asked elsewhere in the forum nearly a month ago as I didn't want to spam with multiple similar threads, but I don't think it's had one view..! :/ I'm happy to answer any more questions if it helps clarify any advice (I know I've left a lot of holes in the details...)

Thanks for any help. Hope you're all having great days!
JJ
Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:03 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a small business in Majorca (or other Balearic Island)

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Your previous threads had lots of views but no responses. Maybe you will be luckier on this part of the forum but I warn you now that we do not have many members in Majorca so many of the answers are likely to be of experiences on the mainland.

Rosemary
Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayjep

For months now I've been looking around online and have found some helpful links on this subject but I'm wondering if anyone on here has actually been through the process of opening a small business in Majorca (or Spain in general) themselves and can share any advice or suggestions.

A bit of background: my partner and I have been looking to open a small business for sometime. We've researched a few locations in Southern Europe (we love the climate and cultures) and Majorca is one of the 'final two' we're pondering. At the moment, the business is just an idea. I say 'just an idea' but it is something my partner has previously done successfully (albeit in Australia) and wants to do again. (Who wouldn't want to be their own boss?) A bit of extra info: my partner is 30 and I'm 28 and we've both previously lived the expat life so we know the sacrifices/compromises to be made. There's a lot of threads about retirees in Spain generally but surely 1) there's something for the young'uns and 2) business/investment opportunities for the young? (I realise the southern Eurozone isn't exactly in a boom time right now but it is beginning its arduous recovery.)

So, down to some specifics: how easy or difficult is it to open a small business in Majorca (or Spain in general)? Is there much assistance as in the UK? For clarification, the business would be a bakery-cum-cafe. As previously mentioned, it's not an existing business and we probably wouldn't have enough capital to buy an existing business. We'd prefer somewhere that has its fair share of tourists but perhaps a little more... Upmarket than, say, Benidorm. Obviously we'd be looking to live out there as well. Port de Polença seems a nice area but at this point we're completely open to suggestions (we're only in the earliest of stages right now). No kids, no pets so no worries about needing to accommodate for those things. Also, I'm conversational in Spanish (I realise they speak Catalan but Spanish offend locals?).

Any help and advice will be much appreciated; more so if it's from someone with experience in doing this themselves. I asked elsewhere in the forum nearly a month ago as I didn't want to spam with multiple similar threads, but I don't think it's had one view..! :/ I'm happy to answer any more questions if it helps clarify any advice (I know I've left a lot of holes in the details...)

JJ
Well the fact that Spain will give little, or rather no help for people stating their own businesses, and I suspect that may well be due to the extremely high level of failures, is something you need to address, and you will have to ensure that you have plenty of money to bring with you, I would suggest at least 6 months but better a years to tide you over while the business is getting off the ground.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

JJ

As always it depends what you can offer and how desperate you need the income from a business. Not in Majorca, but it seems that you'll have more British in that area. However, how is the demand in winter and will Spanish buy your products? The Germans are well known for making good bread and you'll find a few bakeries on the island, but how much they sell I don't know. Spanish will go to their local shop and probably won't be bothered unless you can offer something they like.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Your previous threads had lots of views but no responses. Maybe you will be luckier on this part of the forum but I warn you now that we do not have many members in Majorca so many of the answers are likely to be of experiences on the mainland.

Rosemary
I didn't even think my previous threads had been viewed and I didn't want to spam by posting thread after thread along the same lines. Seems I've had some luck with this thread at least! Any experience with Spain in general will do fine; serves as a good guide and helps narrow the field, so to speak.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Well the fact that Spain will give little, or rather no help for people stating their own businesses, and I suspect that may well be due to the extremely high level of failures, is something you need to address, and you will have to ensure that you have plenty of money to bring with you, I would suggest at least 6 months but better a years to tide you over while the business is getting off the ground.
Any assistance (like tax relief) would've been a bonus rather than a necessity and there not being any isn't a deal breaker. We'd account for 6-12 months' overheads.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As always it depends what you can offer and how desperate you need the income from a business. Not in Majorca, but it seems that you'll have more British in that area. However, how is the demand in winter and will Spanish buy your products? The Germans are well known for making good bread and you'll find a few bakeries on the island, but how much they sell I don't know. Spanish will go to their local shop and probably won't be bothered unless you can offer something they like.
That's the quandary we're in: do we focus on a tourist/expat market that will ebb and flow but it's a market we're (well, OH) is familiar with dealing with and catering to; or do we go for a more 'native/authentic' market that might be more reliable but harder to capture...

We're just in the earliest days of researching right now and, the plan on paper at least, isn't to lay down anything solid until this time next year (and even then, we may aim for 2018). Of course, that Brexit may well affect it, too.

Here's hoping, though!
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Having tried and failed to start up a business, I'm afraid the Spanish aren't very good with entrepreneurship. There is very little help available but there are a lot of regulations. Your major issues apart from the success of the business are the language and health issues. Your Spanish would be OK for casual conversations but you would need to deal with officialdom and suppliers which may be more of a problem. As far as health goes you would need to have private insurance. If you stay longer you would need to seek residency which brings with it it's own problems. Without wishing to sound too negative as has been said on here many times before - The way to make a small fortune in Spain is to bring a large one with you!!
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:27 am

I didn't even think my previous threads had been viewed and I didn't want to spam by posting thread after thread along the same lines. Seems I've had some luck with this thread at least! Any experience with Spain in general will do fine; serves as a good guide and helps narrow the field, so to speak.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Look on the far right beside your thread when you are on the forum page and you will see number of views and to the left of it are the number of responses.

Rosemary
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Just my twopenceworth, there are bakeries on every street corner in my part of Spain (mainland). Spanish bread, fresh baked is lovely, cafes, well they again are everywhere, remember a café con leche is from as little as 1 euro, maximum we pay is 1 20. not a huge amount of money, but this is non expat area. If you were thinking of baking UK type of cakes you would need expats as Spanish cakes are quite different. Wish you luck wherever you head
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by pwwm
Just my twopenceworth, there are bakeries on every street corner in my part of Spain (mainland). Spanish bread, fresh baked is lovely, cafes, well they again are everywhere, remember a café con leche is from as little as 1 euro, maximum we pay is 1 20. not a huge amount of money, but this is non expat area. If you were thinking of baking UK type of cakes you would need expats as Spanish cakes are quite different. Wish you luck wherever you head
Also relevant is how long they occupy a table chatting. Not a case of ordering a coffee and drinking it and leaving, that is not the Spanish way at all.

Rosemary
Old Aug 31st 2016, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Have to admit I am totally in the Spanish way of sitting chatting over maybe 2 coffees, luck for me we are friends with the owner lol
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

brie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the "coffee + pastry" is the hardest business - your customers won't have 2-3 rounds of those...
A bar would make more...
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brie
I think the "coffee + pastry" is the hardest business - your customers won't have 2-3 rounds of those...
A bar would make more...
Well always depends really. Because of tax, alcohol is already expensive and you aren't really making as much profit per sold beer. Depends what type of pastry and how good the product is and who you are targeting.

I don't know how many people would like to buy a €50 designer pastry, but there probably will be a few.

The reality is that most working people don't have the time and money these days and go to the local shop, or petrol station for their coffee & pastry. Tourists have cash, but they are either in an all inclusive resort or can't be bothered to walk. You have to be in an excellent location and that's not cheap.