Reload this Page >

Opening English academy, advice needed

Opening English academy, advice needed

Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Phillyfelipe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening English academy, advice needed

Hi
My partner and I want to open an English academy in Spain we own a freehold building which is suitable for the purpose. Does anyone know what qualifications are needed if any? Both my partner and myself has taught English for 4 years but neither of us are qualified. We intend to employ 2 teachers to start.
Many thanks in advance......Philly
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening English academy, advice needed

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 11th 2013, 1:30 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, where are you hoping to open it?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phillyfelipe
Hi
My partner and I want to open an English academy in Spain we own a freehold building which is suitable for the purpose. Does anyone know what qualifications are needed if any? Both my partner and myself has taught English for 4 years but neither of us are qualified. We intend to employ 2 teachers to start.
HAS you really? A qualification that is necessary is a good command of the English language, that includes grammar!!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Agnes
HAS you really? A qualification that is necessary is a good command of the English language, that includes grammar!!
A rather embarrassing typo
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Out of interest, where are you hoping to open it?
Madrid
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:15 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Madrid
Good luck with your new venture, and if it works out well, could you please think of giving Steviedluxe a job, because he is not a happy chappie in the UK, and he is just dying to live in Spain.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Firstly an excellent, trustworthy lawyer and business advisor, perhaps being able to speak Spanish would be an excellent start as well. The patience of a saint to understand the bureaucracy and to follow all the stages through, pleanty of money for all the licences needed. You are at the start of a long, slow process, but, as seen in another thread, having a good supply of brown envelopes filled with cash will help.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

I take it your use of the comma and 2 exclamation marks was meant to be sarcasm?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Given that you don't need any qualifications to teach in an academy I can't see why you'd need any to run one either.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:10 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

This article may be of interest

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-language-boom

However you will be up against competition.

309 Madrid language academies alone listed on this directory

http://11870.com/k/academias-idiomas...p=1&o=0&v=list

If you want to proceed along this path, seek out the owners of an existing academy away from your location (so you are not potential competition) and ask their advice. Invite them to dinner, even offer consultancy fees. Believe me, the experience they've gathered over the years will be worth its weight in gold.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:39 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Originally Posted by chopera
Given that you don't need any qualifications to teach in an academy I can't see why you'd need any to run one either.
I would qualify that by saying that you don't need any qualifications to open up a business, you are using (presumably) teachers who have qualifications.

this will allow you to start bringing money in whilst getting your qualifications
although Madrid is rather full of people teaching English.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 10:19 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the people who are now required to learn English for their work are told that they have to have certain recognised certification. For example a friend of mine has English as part of her degree however she now has to take the Cambridge exams in order to qualify for the job that she now wishes to undertake.

Rosemary
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:51 am
Banned

Debra Lynn Hillman is an unknown quantity at this point

In order to compete with the high competition in English teaching services, it is very important to offer a high quality course at low prices.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

I have, You have, He/She has, We have.... do you mean that type of thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.