Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening dog boarding kennel help please

Opening dog boarding kennel help please

Old Aug 29th 2017, 8:33 am
Just Joined

PhilToro1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Opening dog boarding kennel help please

Hi - I am relocating to Spain and have 2 properties under consideration , I intend to open a small scale dog boarding kennel service but am unsure about laws and what license I would need. I know building laws can prohibit new buildings on existing site but both properties have outbuildings I can modify as kennels, just not sure about permissions and permits etc, can anyone please offer advice ? Many thanks, Phil
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening dog boarding kennel help please

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilToro1
Hi - I am relocating to Spain and have 2 properties under consideration , I intend to open a small scale dog boarding kennel service but am unsure about laws and what license I would need. I know building laws can prohibit new buildings on existing site but both properties have outbuildings I can modify as kennels, just not sure about permissions and permits etc, can anyone please offer advice ? Many thanks, Phil
It will differ from area to area but you should always go to the local city or town hall and get written confirmation before you buy anything. They will advise you what permits you need but don't forget it's Spain and they love permits.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard this can be a nightmare so as per above be 101% sure it will be legally possible. Don't forget also Spaniards do not typically use kennels. Good luck.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Boarding Kennels/Cattery etc.for 18 years on costa blanca,it's still going strong in the hands of the people who bought from us.But I am a registered breeder so,at least,customers knew I had some experience.Had this kind of business in the UK also.It is a very different idea from operating in England,many different breeds that some may not be ready to handle & you will be expected to do all sorts of extra little things like injections.Actually,Spanish people often use Kennels,I remember that at first they would offer to bring their own food in case we British didn't understand the correct diets!However we were fortunate in that our customers were from all nationalities,less Brits.though as there were fewer resident in our immediate area.There are many regulations,just par for the course in any business.But please don't imagine it is a job,all hours-7 days a week,Xmas included,that is easily undertaken because"you love animals" & that's apart from the owners who sometimes have pets that should be in Doggie Reform School.I loved it but it was something I had wanted since childhood,so I was living my dream.NB. the waterpots need refilling with cool water at least 4/5 times daily,cats & dogs.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK maybe a bigger customer base than I thought. All the Spaniards I know seem to leave them with relatives when they go away.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely right,Spainrico,not only Spanish but many Brits.leave their pet with friends.My sister thinks her Giant Schnautzer would die if he couldn't sleep on her bed,but over time Spaniards bought pedigrees,how many poodles did they have in the 80/90's.My son-in-law's Mum had a Maltese Terrier.Maybe it was something about then being in the EU & saw other nationalities with different breeds & thought it was nice to have another species.Obviously,Phil,it will depend where you have your client base but do remember that there are (rightly) many regulations concerning animal welfare whether you are a small or larger enterprise& regular inspections & your licence etc.costs will be the same.Good luck to you,it's worth the effort.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

My ex next door neighbours for 6 years moved out to a finca to open boarding kennels.
They built 2 blocks to house a total of 30 dogs, they had all the plans for the kennels approved before building, and as soon as they tried to open they were told that the under floor drainage was not correct. Then they had to build an isolation set of kennels away from the other blocks, in case of infection. Needed a vet to be on permanent call.
After jumping through hoops to finish the kennels they were held up for 3 years before they could get the permits to open. After 2 years of operating they divorced, she tried to run the operation on her own for a year, eventually gave up and sold the kennels at a massive loss and returned to the UK.
It became evident to them that the Catalan regulations have a special section that only applies to non Catalans. The next door goat breeding farm has no drainage apart from into the baranca 50m away, and has never had an inspection.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is possible that goats come under different regulations,perhaps farm animals.People's pets are given into your care they are not your own although I must say that my own breeding stock would have had most of the same regulations.That I would have no problem with as they were very valuable to me both financially & emotionally.Our Vet.was always on call,came out all hours,early morning or late & I suspect we were a priority seeing how often & quickly he would attend.This job is rather like being a "carer",so often,especially with retirees,this pet is their substitute family.It is no good saying the Spanish are uncaring about animals then disputing the rules they put in place.As far as I saw in my area these applied to Spanish kennel owners also.Perhaps your friends were not quite experienced or prepared enough to make a go of it.I can tell you,as a breeder of parrots & other endangered species,there are a whole lot MORE involved regulations,called CITES,should anyone on this site be thinking"That's a nice idea".
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

From our experience of the Spanish with dogs, you would need to locate to an area, with a large expat british comunity. We found a dog in our porch a couple of weeks ago, it was sheltering from the sun and bleading heavily from one of its paws, looked like it had been run over, or just thrown out of a car window. I went to the policia( local) and they gave me a number which was discontinued, then another number of a sanctuary in another town, who told me that as it did not get funding from our ayuntamento, I could bring it to them but I would have to pay for all vets bills and upkeep. I asked the police what to do and he just said " your problem" Thankfully I did find a sanctuary ( run by brits!) which took the dog.
Pete
Old Sep 20th 2017, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Gitte is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Phill.
I think it is a great idea and Im sure it can work out for you if you do it right.
Guess your question was not whether ít is a good or bad idea, which many people who answered seem to think, but on how to go about it from a legal perspective. Unfortunately I do not have any experience in this field except... dont sign anything before having all your plans signed off legally, but you know this all ready I'm sure. Gitte
Old Sep 20th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
From our experience of the Spanish with dogs, you would need to locate to an area, with a large expat british comunity. We found a dog in our porch a couple of weeks ago, it was sheltering from the sun and bleading heavily from one of its paws, looked like it had been run over, or just thrown out of a car window. I went to the policia( local) and they gave me a number which was discontinued, then another number of a sanctuary in another town, who told me that as it did not get funding from our ayuntamento, I could bring it to them but I would have to pay for all vets bills and upkeep. I asked the police what to do and he just said " your problem" Thankfully I did find a sanctuary ( run by brits!) which took the dog.
Pete
Varies a lot from region to region. Several excellent dog kennels around Malaga, Spanish run. Just outside Marbella is a superb sanctuary Triple A. Have taken a few stray dogs there and they work hard to first locate the owner, if the dog is chipped, or keep them and then find families for them in Holland and Germany.

As additional comment the kennel where we kept our dog during our travels had several "adopted" dogs which English owners had just left there under the pretext of a short stay and then never came back to collect them. One person when the kennel owner phoned to ask if they were going to collect their dog just told him to have it put down.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are a nation of dog owners not often dog carers,this maybe because we hear about the abuse rather than the majority who give the best for their pet throughout their life.I can only say that the only owners who abandoned their pets in our Kennels were,sadly,British but fortunately they did not amount to many of our customers.If I was advising this person I would say go for somewhere where you have a wide base of nationalities.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Relying on a British customer base could be tricky. Better to go for a diverse mx. There are other nationalities living in Spain !