Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account in Spain

Opening a bank account in Spain

Old Oct 29th 2013, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Tuco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a bank account in Spain

Hi, banking regulations have changed an awful lot in recent years. I'm planning a reccy to Spain in 2014 with a view to a move in 2015. As a non resident with no Spainsh address, can you open a bank account?

In UK now, you cannot open a new UK bank account unless you reside permanently in UK or can show a UK address with utility bills or similar for a given period. Other countries follow different guidleines, hence my question.

The advantages of having a Spanish bank account already set up before a pemanent move for me are numerous.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in Spain

Originally Posted by Tuco
Hi, banking regulations have changed an awful lot in recent years. I'm planning a reccy to Spain in 2014 with a view to a move in 2015. As a non resident with no Spainsh address, can you open a bank account?

In UK now, you cannot open a new UK bank account unless you reside permanently in UK or can show a UK address with utility bills or similar for a given period. Other countries follow different guidleines, hence my question.

The advantages of having a Spanish bank account already set up before a pemanent move for me are numerous.
Yes, you can open a non-resident account with no Spanish address - lots of people do it before they buy a property. Some banks will, apparently, allow you to open the account with just a passport but when I opened mine the bank wanted an NIE number too.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Yes, you can open a non-resident account with no Spanish address - lots of people do it before they buy a property. Some banks will, apparently, allow you to open the account with just a passport but when I opened mine the bank wanted an NIE number too.
Thanks - I read somewhere that some require a local police report. Anyway it's good to know some will let you open an account before you buy/rent/reside.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

aggboloke is an unknown quantity at this point

you can open a non-resident account with no Spanish address. you can open in UK, for example Barclais bank or Santander. you have office in anyplace in both countries.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aggboloke
you can open a non-resident account with no Spanish address. you can open in UK, for example Barclais bank or Santander. you have office in anyplace in both countries.
I see you are Spanish, welcome! There are very few Spanish here, one or two, so nice to have another, always nice to have a "local" opinion.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

I opened an account with Deutchebank and all they wanted was my passport... and as long as I pay in 600 euros a month there are no charges. you can pay in less but there is a minimal charge.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I opened a non resident bank account with Sabadell when I was on holiday in Benidorm earlier this year. All I needed was my passport and a utility bill with my name and address on it. So simple, no messing!!

I opened this account for the same reasons as yourself.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the helpful replies.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuco
Thanks - I read somewhere that some require a local police report. Anyway it's good to know some will let you open an account before you buy/rent/reside.
There is a requirement to have a non residents certification done and re done every 2 years. The bank do that for you of course you have to pay for it I think mine is 30 Euro every 2 years. They send a form out to our UK address for us to sign and return that's it. I believe it is to do with proof that you do not pay certain residents taxes etc.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
There is a requirement to have a non residents certification done and re done every 2 years. The bank do that for you of course you have to pay for it I think mine is 30 Euro every 2 years. They send a form out to our UK address for us to sign and return that's it. I believe it is to do with proof that you do not pay certain residents taxes etc.
Thanks for that. My own personal situation would be to open an account after doing a reccy and then noce we finally made the move, we would become resident.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

They would still require initial certificate stating non resident status which you would change on becoming resident. As I say the bank sort out the matter they just require a signature to say that and a small payment for doing it.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Westonman is an unknown quantity at this point

I`m in the same position as you, hope to move over early next year.
Just got back from viewing more properties so went into Sabadell branch in Vera Almeria after doing my research.
Could not of been easier. Opened joint Prestige Care Plus account.
They took photocopies of our passports and the kind English speaking lady asked us to return in 30 minutes. On our return all done. Just signed some forms one of which showed we were not residents and the only address they needed was our UK one. Issued there and then with pin codes to allow internet banking which we activated on our return.
We can call in and collect our debit cards on our return. There is a small monthly charge to administer the account but no minimum amounts to be paid in!
When we arrive and in time become resident we can switch to their non fee incurring residents account. I believe its called the expansion account. Good luck...
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

I opened an account, as a non-resident, at the end of September, when I had my offer accepted on the property I decided to buy. The bank is CajaMurcia. They wanted my passport, NIE number (which was provided later by my solicitor) and copy of my P60 (which I sent later by email).
It's a very quick process and my experience is of very good customer service. I can also access the account online, which is great.
Btw: I signed the contract and got the keys on 25 Oct, so I'm the proud owner of a nice quad in Cabo Roig
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:09 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minouette
I opened an account, as a non-resident, at the end of September, when I had my offer accepted on the property I decided to buy. The bank is CajaMurcia. They wanted my passport, NIE number (which was provided later by my solicitor) and copy of my P60 (which I sent later by email).
It's a very quick process and my experience is of very good customer service. I can also access the account online, which is great.
Btw: I signed the contract and got the keys on 25 Oct, so I'm the proud owner of a nice quad in Cabo Roig
well done - enjoy
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.