Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

opening bank account with NIE

opening bank account with NIE

Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:49 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opening bank account with NIE

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I know this has been said before but I just do not see the point in trying to avoid having a Spanish driving licence or residence card whatever the EU directives may say.
Yes, I agree. Despite having the option of NOT having a residency card, I would prefer to have one as it just makes your life much simpler all round.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

I know this has been said before but I just do not see the point in trying to avoid having a Spanish driving licence or residence card whatever the EU directives may say.
I won't answer for the latter, but I suspect the former may have advantages in terms of how often you need to retest and which classes of vehicles you are permitted to drive. i.e. the swap to a Spanish driving license is not necessarily a direct equivalent. I personally have not looked into this.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

If you use a DGT validated foreign driving licence in Spain you are subject to the same rules and limitations regarding age and retests as someone with a Spanish licence.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

If you use a DGT validated foreign driving licence in Spain you are subject to the same rules and limitations regarding age and retests as someone with a Spanish licence.
If you are geting near the 70 yr deadline for retests, then it is certainly essential to get a Spanish licence as getting a retest using an UK one is very difficult, I'm certainly considering having mine changed.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

DrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Unexpat
I won't answer for the latter, but I suspect the former may have advantages in terms of how often you need to retest and which classes of vehicles you are permitted to drive. i.e. the swap to a Spanish driving license is not necessarily a direct equivalent. I personally have not looked into this.
The point is that it takes three months to get a residence card and I want to open a bank account now.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 6:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrStarsky
The point is that it takes three months to get a residence card and I want to open a bank account now.
Suggest you contact the various banks in your area, it seems as though they do have different requirements, some do not offer incentives for residents, but all accounts are the same. Cam Bank certainly are like that, but what you need to open accounts I dont know. Ours were all opened by our lawyers and notary, and we only had an NIE number, and of course an address in Spain of the house we were buying.