Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account?

Opening a bank account?

Old May 29th 2012, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice
Default Re: Opening a bank account?

My friend went into all the local banks in the village 3-4 months ago to open an account and was also told he could not open one without a work contract...

Madness....
Old May 30th 2012, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I opened both a La Caixa and a Barclays account with just my passport and NIE number.

*Dom*
How did you get La Caixa to stop charging you.....I'm retired but still paying?
Old May 30th 2012, 5:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I opened both a La Caixa and a Barclays account with just my passport and NIE number.

*Dom*
How did you get La Caixa to stop charging you.....I'm retired but still paying?
Meg, when I went in to open the account I discussed what monies would be coming in and that I was going to have my pension paid in. The guy said "just come in and see me when it is your birthday and I will change your account to a "pensionista" and you will pay no charges"

I have to assume that even in Spain, like most things in life, you have to ask to get - they don't have an automatic changeover when you reach pension age.
Now wouldn't that be a novel use for a computer, perhaps I ought to patent the idea.

hope this helps
kr
Old May 30th 2012, 5:53 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We opened our account with just passports and then changed it to a residence account latyer; however this was in 2003. No regular money coming in, other than what I transferred from England.

This was with Caja Granada, which has just merged with some other Cajas in a bid to keep going.

The nearest bank to where we lived that is not Caja Granada or Caja Rural is a forty minute drive away so not a lot of choice!

If you have a bigger bank near you, I would try one of those, but not Bankia!
Old May 30th 2012, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

RyanChapa is an unknown quantity at this point

We finally managed to open a bank account today. Thank you everyone for all the help and support, very much appreciated!

In case anyone would like to know for future reference we went to LaCaixa on Colón (just down the road from the Metro). The man was very helpful and spoke very good English. We only needed passports and a UK address, did not even need money to open the account which was a nice surprise. Our card will arrive in-store in 7 days. The whole thing took at max. 15 minutes! Very pleased!

Thanks again all!
Old May 30th 2012, 12:36 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanChapa
We finally managed to open a bank account today. Thank you everyone for all the help and support, very much appreciated!

In case anyone would like to know for future reference we went to LaCaixa on Colón (just down the road from the Metro). The man was very helpful and spoke very good English. We only needed passports and a UK address, did not even need money to open the account which was a nice surprise. Our card will arrive in-store in 7 days. The whole thing took at max. 15 minutes! Very pleased!

Thanks again all!
Glad it all worked out (this is how it's 'sposed to be).

Stick with me. I'll show ya 'round...

Old May 30th 2012, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

RyanChapa is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha, I agree!

Thanks again!
Old May 30th 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Glad you got one with La Caixa....they are the best! I got one on the spot with just my passport too And the guy spoke good english!
Old May 30th 2012, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be careful as to the charges.There are a couple of Spanish banks who are now operating free accounts.Mine have just switched me to a new free account all they want is regular incoming payments,so it's goodbye to the 15 euros a year for a debit card and the quarterly maintenance.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

grahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nice

Hi Ryan

Most banks are insisting on having a NIE number now after an edict from the Banco de España about not opening accounts si passports. The exceptions I know in Valencia are the Catalunya Caixa on Calle de las Barcas (ask for Paco as he speaks English) and the Cam if you can stomach them. There is an English speaker Quique in Lliria at the Cam who is really friendly.
They both accept opening an account with just a passport.
Santander, La Caixa, Barclays, BBVA will not at least in Valencia
Old May 30th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Meg, when I went in to open the account I discussed what monies would be coming in and that I was going to have my pension paid in. The guy said "just come in and see me when it is your birthday and I will change your account to a "pensionista" and you will pay no charges"

I have to assume that even in Spain, like most things in life, you have to ask to get - they don't have an automatic changeover when you reach pension age.
Now wouldn't that be a novel use for a computer, perhaps I ought to patent the idea.

hope this helps
kr
Thanks for that Dom I have to call in this week so will see what they have to say about it.

Not only do I have two pensions paid into La Caixa, I was one of those people they conned into putting a large amount of money into what has turned out to be shares and not the higher interest savings account I thought it was being invested in.....
In the eighteen months it's been there it's showing a sizable loss.
In hind sight I would have been better going on a huge spending spree, at least that way I'd have something to show for it.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

grahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nice

Whoops just saw your post Ryan. Well now I have another one and La Caixa is a little more stable than the CAM. I tried La Caixa on the corner of the Plaza del Ayuntamiento two months ago with a client and no dice
Old May 31st 2012, 7:11 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Thanks for that Dom I have to call in this week so will see what they have to say about it.

Not only do I have two pensions paid into La Caixa, I was one of those people they conned into putting a large amount of money into what has turned out to be shares and not the higher interest savings account I thought it was being invested in.....
In the eighteen months it's been there it's showing a sizable loss.
In hind sight I would have been better going on a huge spending spree, at least that way I'd have something to show for it.
sorry to hear you are currently running at a loss...

all these years the only thing I got involved in was British Gas as they were giving us something for free so I put some of my money in as well.
have sat back and wondered what life would have been like if I had invested in shares but with hindsight think I would have been on the negative as well

Put some money into Halifax, said I wanted it to be "safe but accessible" ended up in a savings account - seemed alright until I found out the hard way it was only paying 1% and when I wanted some of the money to pay for the move to Spain they had a branch limit of about £2000 for cash withdrawals. The only thing it will let me do - other than cash withdrawal at an ATM is to transfer into my LTSB current acct - it won't even let me pay my LTSB credit card.
Talk about joined up writing, and they claim to be a bank !!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

timmyf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RyanChapa
I have recently moved to Valencia and I am having difficulty opening a bank account. I shall be hopefully moving into my home this weekend but obviously need to open an account beforehand to pay bills ect.

I have been into several banks today (Santander, Barclays, BBVA...) and all seem to want to have a work contract or do not speak English. I know that you do not actually need a work contract to open a non-residence account but having zero luck.

Can anyone suggest any branches/banks or any information that will allow me to open one ASAP.

Any help is always appreciated, thank you!
i opened one with sabadell atlantico over the internet and they even have an english speaking telephone line
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

z0s0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting the same run-around here in Barcelona. Have NIE, and they're telling me (well Barclays and Santander so far) that I need a work contract. WTF?

Will keep shopping around I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.