Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Open Letter to UK Citizens Living in Spain, from HMA Simon Manley

Open Letter to UK Citizens Living in Spain, from HMA Simon Manley

Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Open Letter to UK Citizens Living in Spain, from HMA Simon Manley

Latest position on Brexit negotiations for Expats explained here
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open Letter to UK Citizens Living in Spain, from HMA Simon Manley

Great, and I am glad that Pensioners from the UK currently receiving healthcare in Spain look set to have that protected. Question is what about 'early retirees' who may have paid 40 years contributions in the UK and will not reach 66 until after Brexit? No where has an answer to this been directly given with all the 'blurb' relating to current recipients only, so maybe the answers implied there. (Good luck to them, as I said). Hoping for the best but definitely expecting the worse on that one.Blame it on Brexit? Why? Its a separate bilateral agreement. Smoke and mirrors again?

Last edited by lurchio; Jul 26th 2017 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 3:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Since early retirees do not qualify for the reciprocal arrangements at present, why would that change for the better after Brexit?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Since early retirees do not qualify for the reciprocal arrangements at present, why would that change for the better after Brexit?
The point is that under current rules, I fully accept that 'early retirees' have to pay either privately or via the Convenio for cover. Also currently, when that early retiree gets to UK state pension age, the S1 system kicks in, and then you no longer have to pay for cover or full price prescriptions. Thats the unanswered question, will that continue after Brexit?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

As a slight aside to the above points - Don't forget early retirees who registered for residencia before 24th April 2012 may be able to gain access to the Spanish public health system.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

True, but as time progresses less and less relevant..... Unless Spain do it again for ex pats on Brexit! Ermmmm, perhaps not then. Worse case scenario is that on reaching 66 we get our pension and pay 314 euros plus prescriptions per month, not all will be able to do that, again relevant to the point.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes thought I would mention it again as I expect there are still people who qualify missing out on a genuine entitlement.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
The point is that under current rules, I fully accept that 'early retirees' have to pay either privately or via the Convenio for cover. Also currently, when that early retiree gets to UK state pension age, the S1 system kicks in, and then you no longer have to pay for cover or full price prescriptions. Thats the unanswered question, will that continue after Brexit?
Lurchio that is indeed the big question. To be honest there does seem to be a sigh of relief from those currently retired and getting free health cover under the S1. That is great for them but others approaching state pension age it would seem are not going to be able to get the same treatment on reaching state retirement age. That to me being one of those is totally unfair but yes I know life isn't fair. But there will be many people in this situation some may be well off enough to afford private cover but many will not. So saying it's ok I'm covered is not helpful those that bought pre Brexit who retire after Brexit seem to be the biggest loser's if this is the case.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 6:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Lurchio that is indeed the big question. To be honest there does seem to be a sigh of relief from those currently retired and getting free health cover under the S1. That is great for them but others approaching state pension age it would seem are not going to be able to get the same treatment on reaching state retirement age.
Has anyone actually said that yet?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

No it has not been said Fred and of course negotiations are ongoing so untill that part is concluded we will not know. Certainly in the proposal put forward by the UK it is not clear, it is clear that the UK intends to continue S1 for those that are using it but not that it will apply to those reaching state retirement age whenever the date is that the government apply hopefully no earlier than when we physically leave?. I have wrote a few letters asking for some clarity but other than an acknowledgement for one nothing so far. Hence why I am considering obtaining basic residency but not fiscal as still coming and going. Maybe before my next visit when I will have to make that decision we will know more.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred, no, but ALL the 'blurb' and carefully chosen 'releases' skirt around that particular question very nimbly. The NHS in crisis etc. Just strikes me that Brexit may also be the chance to 'bury bad news' on a totally unconnected aspect of ex pat entitlements for the future. I am not being pessimistic, just looking at the whole picture. We will not be returning in any event, so will take it on the chin IF it happens. I fear most for our Children, five professionals and part of a situation out of their control and not voted for by them.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
No it has not been said Fred and of course negotiations are ongoing so untill that part is concluded we will not know. Certainly in the proposal put forward by the UK it is not clear, it is clear that the UK intends to continue S1 for those that are using it but not that it will apply to those reaching state retirement age whenever the date is that the government apply hopefully no earlier than when we physically leave?. I have wrote a few letters asking for some clarity but other than an acknowledgement for one nothing so far. Hence why I am considering obtaining basic residency but not fiscal as still coming and going. Maybe before my next visit when I will have to make that decision we will know more.
Be interested to know the reply, unless its standard 'bullsh##'. Are you on the Padron? Know it says that your Spanish address is where you habitually live, but interested to know.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:44 pm

Signing on the padrón is pretty meaningless from a residency point of view. You are only allowed to sign on if your habitual residence is in that municipality. More important in terms of gaining the right to remain and ultimately getting the right of permanent residency is to sign onto the register of EU foreigners with the police. After 90 days in Spain you are legally obliged to do that although that does not in itself make you tax resident and strictly speaking would necessarily mean that you can sign on the padrón.

The problem is that as part of the formalities you have to prove that you have an adequate income and full health cover. Signing on the padrón does not require that and most town halls actively encourage anyone and their dog to sign on just to increase their income from central government.

If you are thinking of living in Spain permanently in the future the most important move is to sign on the foreigners register as that is going to be the only thing that will help you get the right of permanent residency in the future. It’s a pain to do it but after Brexit it will be the most important piece of paper you have.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's my thinking Fred already made enquiries for when next over. Worst bit is having to fork out for health insurance I won't use. Thing with padron I have always said no but to get convenio especial I believe you must have been on padron for 12 months so may have to bite the bullet. I see it better to at least have residency given the uncertainty.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lurchio I am not on the padron but may change that once I have done the basic residency. As for replies I am not holding my breath.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.