Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Only residents can own cars?

Only residents can own cars?

Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:25 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only residents can own cars?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Why is it nonsense? I had a UK car here for 4 years also .... but it was on spanish plates. If I had kept it here on UK plates for 4 years, then it would have been wrong.

I've bought a Spanish car here also ..... but I had to supply passport, padron, NIE .... without those documents the garage I bought it from were unable to register it in my name and the sale couldnt be completed
I don’t know how to answer that, Mitz. I arrived in Denia with a Brit car and kept it for years, always properly insured and with ITVs ( I used the guy in Ondara).

When I moved to Torrevieja I found that things were a bit more lax. My wife bought a car and drove it away on the same day, with no documents whatsoever, they arrived months later with numbers that the garage had made up.

My present Spanish car was bought for cash from a Spanish dealer, all above board. Funnily enough I was nearly legal, but the dealer didn’t want to know, his forms were already filled out, with only the purchase price missing.

It’s no different to England – what do they want from us? No residencias, no NIES, no nothing, just the dosh.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I don’t know how to answer that, Mitz. I arrived in Denia with a Brit car and kept it for years, always properly insured and with ITVs ( I used the guy in Ondara).
For sure, with spanish plates its fine ... but an ITV on a brit plate car is really not worth the paper its written on

I guess, as we proved before, you can get away with doing things differently in different places. Ondara ITV has tightened up a lot now .... they are part of the reason my Brit Spanish plated car has gone back to the UK
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:55 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
For sure, with spanish plates its fine ... but an ITV on a brit plate car is really not worth the paper its written on

I guess, as we proved before, you can get away with doing things differently in different places. Ondara ITV has tightened up a lot now .... they are part of the reason my Brit Spanish plated car has gone back to the UK
I suppose it’s too late now, but I used the English garage at km1 travelling from Ondara in the Oliva direction. I think the name was Richard, he’s been there for years and knows everyone.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citiz...s/index_en.htm

You can only register a car in the country where you normally live or have permanent residence.

You cannot register your car in a country where you have a secondary residence or holiday house.

Best

Loco

Originally Posted by jdr
Only residents can own cars in the country they are resident of, I had an official link somewhere, but damned if I can find it.
Similar threads are on various sites concerning this and I am waiting to see the link posted.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco

You can only register a car in the country where you normally live or have permanent residence.

You cannot register your car in a country where you have a secondary residence or holiday house.

Best

Loco
Thanks Loco. ;-))
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Isn't it daft that a member of the European Community can spend months in another EEC country and not be able to use a car locally ? They can hire a car from a rental company with no problem. But to actually run their own car whilst at the same time owning a property is surely much better than making people drive/travel long distances (Edinburgh to Malaga for example) every time they need to use a car without renting.
No this law is ridiculous and there should be simple means to rectify it to make it possible. But will the over paid Eurocrats deal with this ?
Old Dec 17th 2010, 7:10 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco

Best

Loco
Whatever the EU law may say, it is a well established FACT that the Spanish authorities do allow non residents to buy and register a car in Spain with simple proof that they have an address in Spain usually involving signing on the padron.

What they do not do is check your tax resident status.

It all comes down to the well known confusion between "residency" and tax residency.

Another factor is that, notwithstanding what an EU directive lays down, individual countries are often allowed to offer "more favourable" rules and there are many cases where this applies.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

So can someone definitively tell me whether I can buy a car?

We are resident in the UK but have a Spanish home, at the moment we are spending around 2000€ a year renting cars at the airport, a quite ridiculous amount of money wasted.

We have decided to either bring one over and have it changed to spanish plates or buy one over there, can we do that? We have the usual, nie, escritura etc, just not padron.

Seems our local office is very loathe to hand them out to anyone anymore! not just us expats. Can't understand that if as they say, the amount of money they can claim from government is dependent on the people on the padron. Also what is the point of a piece of paper (padron) if it only lasts for 6 months?
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:13 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

From the experience of others, you "should" be able to buy a car OK but you had better assume that you will need to be on the padron.

To get on the padron you will probably need to produce the new foreigners certificate - it depends on the local town hall as to how they interpret the law.

Your entry on the padron is permanent until you move somewhere else but the piece of paper you can get has a limited validity (depending on what you want it for).

As I have pointed out on another thread, legally you are only allowed to sign on the Padron if your house is your "habitual residence" but many town halls ignore that.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

It should be noted that the information contained in that link refers to importing and registering a car in another country. It does not refer to buying a car native to that country and registering your ownership of it.

If you have a holiday home in any EU country you can buy a car native to that country and register it in your name.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

handy sue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
So can someone definitively tell me whether I can buy a car?

We are resident in the UK but have a Spanish home, at the moment we are spending around 2000€ a year renting cars at the airport, a quite ridiculous amount of money wasted.

We have decided to either bring one over and have it changed to spanish plates or buy one over there, can we do that? We have the usual, nie, escritura etc, just not padron.

Seems our local office is very loathe to hand them out to anyone anymore! not just us expats. Can't understand that if as they say, the amount of money they can claim from government is dependent on the people on the padron. Also what is the point of a piece of paper (padron) if it only lasts for 6 months?
Hi.
We are in the same position, our town hall (Benitachell) states on it's web site that you have to be resident to sign on the padron.
Our solution to the problem is this.
We drive out in our english car in spring, we use it for the summer months when the car hire is most expensive. we drive it back in Autumn. The car is never in Spain for longer than 6 months, and we insure it through SAGA. if you are not over 50, this may be a problem, but there may be some other insurer who will do that for you.
Sue H
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
It should be noted that the information contained in that link refers to importing and registering a car in another country. It does not refer to buying a car native to that country and registering your ownership of it.

If you have a holiday home in any EU country you can buy a car native to that country and register it in your name.
Thanks for that clear and concise explanation of how the Law works.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Just a small point. What is a car 'native ' to the country ? For example Spain. Which car is native to Spain ?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Nige
Just a small point. What is a car 'native ' to the country ? For example Spain. Which car is native to Spain ?
I would assume it means a car either new, supplied by a Spanish dealer or a second hand, Spanish registered car.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
I would assume it means a car either new, supplied by a Spanish dealer or a second hand, Spanish registered car.
Thanks Fred. So as I understand it, for the sake of clarity, if my nice UK registered car was bought by my Spanish neighbour and he arranged to matriculate it onto Spanish plates (with help from myself who would cover all the costs) and then once it was on Spanish plates I could offer a fair price for it and drive it away. So that would come under buying a native car I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.