Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

One year on - Our update.

One year on - Our update.

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of
Default One year on - Our update.

Hi all, thought I'd do an update on our Spanish adventure, apologies if it's a bit long but I'm sure there's space on the internet for it!

We drove off the ferry on the 18th December 2007 and I fully intended to post this update on our anniversary, but what with the festive season and all I’m a bit late.

Well the story so far is that we (wife, daughter aged 3 and my mother) first rented a holiday let in Moraira while we looked for a suitable long term let, which turned out to be an apartment in the centre of town and we moved into it at the beginning of January. We stayed there while house hunting and eventually found one that we fell in love with, obviously over-budget.

We put a silly offer in, 20 odd percent off the asking price, as the exchange rate had (and continues to) conspire against us. It was accepted and the subsequent bank valuation came in at 50% more than the agreed price, so I felt like we had done a good deal.

We moved in in May and had a great summer splashing about in the pool and getting the building work done that we needed.

In October I started my business (signs, printing and graphic design) using the huge underbuild as a workshop.

Now the weird thing is that during the months leading up to us escaping England I had all sorts of daydreams and fantasies about what it would be like moving to Spain. Truth is it has been completely different. Not necessarily worse, just different.

We haven’t made as many friends as we thought we would, but the ones we have seem to be nice and we didn’t find them while sitting in a bar (but not for a lack of trying on my part).

Bureaucracy has been easier than I imagined too, horror stories of having to queue up from 4am have proved unfounded. NIE and residencia were both obtained by swanning into the police station and 10am, and the pardon was obtained in 15mins at the local town hall. SIP cards took an hour or so queuing, but all said and done, fairly painless. Especially for an immigrant whose command of the language is poor at best. (That said I have found that if you try your pigeon Spanish in the land of officialdom it is often appreciated and also in my experience after about 15 minutes of mime and stuttering mispronunciation the official then switches to English!)

Business has been incredibly slow though. I know it takes time to build a business but I’ve found it difficult to break into the market. Those people that have used a signmaker in the past seem keen to stay put, not even entertain a second quote. Loyalty like that is unheard of in the UK, and I suppose once I have a client base I’ll be glad of it, but for now it’s frustrating. Another big difference to the UK is marketing. Here there isn’t really a Yellow Pages that every business uses and refers to, what there is here is a hugely fragmented glut of magazines, newspapers and radio stations that to be honest are too expensive compared to how many people you reach.

Time will tell though, and I’m expecting a really tough 2009. Anyone thinking of moving to Spain to work or set up a business I would advise to: (1) Think twice (2) Ensure you have enough money to live off until 2010, …at least. If you can survive and get started in this economic climate though, come the recovery, you will be well placed to make some money before everyone else spots the bandwagon and clambers aboard.

My daughter loves it here too, she can play outside a lot and is very slowly settling into school, and Valenciano. The only thing we do miss about the UK for her is to be able to take her to one of those indoor play things that are everywhere in England. I don’t suppose it’s viable here though as there are probably only sixty days a year when it’s too rough to play outside.

I wish I could end this message with an upbeat rousing speech about how great it is in Spain, and I’m sure it could/will be, but at the moment there seems to be a lot of uncertainty. Every week I hear of another business that’s folded or about an expat who is returning to their home country, seldom do I meet new arrivals or those setting up new businesses.

I am lucky though, I have income from property in the UK and I can see the green shoots for my business here, it’s just that with exchange rates as they are and a huge mortgage here, everything is balanced precariously on a knife edge. I am hoping to rent out our house in the summer while we move into the flat in the underbuild, but at the moment I think tourists will be more likely to head for Blackpool than Spain.

One thing for sure is that I have no regrets, if anything we should have moved here a few years earlier. I remain optimistic too, we may have to eat more lentils than we bargained for but life will be richer for it, if you don’t do the troughs you fail to appreciate the peaks!

I wish everyone the best for 2009, and may those who are here or making the move keep the wolves from the door and your glasses full!

Cheers!

PS, I know that you are supposed to make hay while the sun shines, but what are you supposed to make when it isn’t, chutney?

Steve.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year on - Our update.

Excellent honest post.

It wasn't too long as it was extremely well written and therefore an easy read.

If I get to hear of anyone in Denia that has need of a sign writer, I will point them in your direction.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:19 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Steve maybe in years to come your sign writing humour will win them over.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:39 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for such an honest update on your life. Good to hear that things are going in a positive directions for you and that you and your family have settled in well.

Look around cafeteria style bars because some of them have small soft play areas.

Good luck with your business.

Rosemary
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent interesting post. Just as an aside who did you get your mortgage through as I understand banks are lending now in Spain?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:13 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

All the best for your second year in Spain
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Steve, do you do those decals that you put on cars?
If so pm me

Nice post, thanks

Originally Posted by Splatt
Hi all, thought I'd do an update on our Spanish adventure, apologies if it's a bit long but I'm sure there's space on the internet for it!

We drove off the ferry on the 18th December 2007 and I fully intended to post this update on our anniversary, but what with the festive season and all I’m a bit late.

Well the story so far is that we (wife, daughter aged 3 and my mother) first rented a holiday let in Moraira while we looked for a suitable long term let, which turned out to be an apartment in the centre of town and we moved into it at the beginning of January. We stayed there while house hunting and eventually found one that we fell in love with, obviously over-budget.

We put a silly offer in, 20 odd percent off the asking price, as the exchange rate had (and continues to) conspire against us. It was accepted and the subsequent bank valuation came in at 50% more than the agreed price, so I felt like we had done a good deal.

We moved in in May and had a great summer splashing about in the pool and getting the building work done that we needed.

In October I started my business (signs, printing and graphic design) using the huge underbuild as a workshop.

Now the weird thing is that during the months leading up to us escaping England I had all sorts of daydreams and fantasies about what it would be like moving to Spain. Truth is it has been completely different. Not necessarily worse, just different.

We haven’t made as many friends as we thought we would, but the ones we have seem to be nice and we didn’t find them while sitting in a bar (but not for a lack of trying on my part).

Bureaucracy has been easier than I imagined too, horror stories of having to queue up from 4am have proved unfounded. NIE and residencia were both obtained by swanning into the police station and 10am, and the pardon was obtained in 15mins at the local town hall. SIP cards took an hour or so queuing, but all said and done, fairly painless. Especially for an immigrant whose command of the language is poor at best. (That said I have found that if you try your pigeon Spanish in the land of officialdom it is often appreciated and also in my experience after about 15 minutes of mime and stuttering mispronunciation the official then switches to English!)

Business has been incredibly slow though. I know it takes time to build a business but I’ve found it difficult to break into the market. Those people that have used a signmaker in the past seem keen to stay put, not even entertain a second quote. Loyalty like that is unheard of in the UK, and I suppose once I have a client base I’ll be glad of it, but for now it’s frustrating. Another big difference to the UK is marketing. Here there isn’t really a Yellow Pages that every business uses and refers to, what there is here is a hugely fragmented glut of magazines, newspapers and radio stations that to be honest are too expensive compared to how many people you reach.

Time will tell though, and I’m expecting a really tough 2009. Anyone thinking of moving to Spain to work or set up a business I would advise to: (1) Think twice (2) Ensure you have enough money to live off until 2010, …at least. If you can survive and get started in this economic climate though, come the recovery, you will be well placed to make some money before everyone else spots the bandwagon and clambers aboard.

My daughter loves it here too, she can play outside a lot and is very slowly settling into school, and Valenciano. The only thing we do miss about the UK for her is to be able to take her to one of those indoor play things that are everywhere in England. I don’t suppose it’s viable here though as there are probably only sixty days a year when it’s too rough to play outside.

I wish I could end this message with an upbeat rousing speech about how great it is in Spain, and I’m sure it could/will be, but at the moment there seems to be a lot of uncertainty. Every week I hear of another business that’s folded or about an expat who is returning to their home country, seldom do I meet new arrivals or those setting up new businesses.

I am lucky though, I have income from property in the UK and I can see the green shoots for my business here, it’s just that with exchange rates as they are and a huge mortgage here, everything is balanced precariously on a knife edge. I am hoping to rent out our house in the summer while we move into the flat in the underbuild, but at the moment I think tourists will be more likely to head for Blackpool than Spain.

One thing for sure is that I have no regrets, if anything we should have moved here a few years earlier. I remain optimistic too, we may have to eat more lentils than we bargained for but life will be richer for it, if you don’t do the troughs you fail to appreciate the peaks!

I wish everyone the best for 2009, and may those who are here or making the move keep the wolves from the door and your glasses full!

Cheers!

PS, I know that you are supposed to make hay while the sun shines, but what are you supposed to make when it isn’t, chutney?

Steve.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:21 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

enjoyed you update post Steve wish you all the best for 2009.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:33 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Here there isn’t really a Yellow Pages that every business uses and refers to,
I realise that things may be different in the coastal areas, but there is an equivalent to Yellow Pages on the net -- called (appropriately enough) paginas amarillas:

paginas amarillas
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Montgo - Thanks very much for that, it's much appreciated. I actually did a job down in Torrevieja on New Years Eve, so work closer to home would be nice!

As for sign humour, what about this one:

Chiclanagirl - We got our mortgage through Halifax España, there was panic in getting it through as everybody was withdrawing their offers at the time (April).

StevieDeluxe - I have the paginas amarillas at home, the thing is, and I'm disgraced about this, as I don't speak good enough Spanish to sell something to a Spanish speaker it would be a counter-productive exercise. Once I speak well enough I will try and get into the local market but I'm pretty sure that the locals would rather stay local!

Mitzy - Check your PM's

And thanks to everyone for your kind words and well wishing for the coming year. It's appreciated and nice to hear/read in these gloomy times.

Ta.
Steve.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:59 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I realise that things may be different in the coastal areas, but there is an equivalent to Yellow Pages on the net -- called (appropriately enough) paginas amarillas:

paginas amarillas
come to think of it I have an old fashioned paper version in my living room
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:47 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Steve good luck with your second year.

Being in business we understand what Steve aka Splatt says about advertising. All sorts of companies books, websites, newspapers; you name it think they have the best deal around and a circulation that reaches into millions. If we paid for all the advertising we was offered then we would have to take out a loan to pay for it.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Stapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really nice

What a great post! Good luck in 2009.

I hope more people will write such a good review about their life in Spain. It's very interesting to read if you are planning to go there.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post, pity you are in Spain, I am desperate for some signs to be made up, the guy I had do some for me a couple of months ago seriously screwed them up and now I am stuck with them!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

nice post Splatt, may you prosper in 2009 and same as Montgo, will pass on your details to anyone I hear of.....

Originally Posted by Splatt

Cheers!

Steve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.